Is my current PSU strong enough?

miochza

Weaksauce
I will be upgrading the system in my sig to:
Q6600 "G0"
EVGA 8800 GTX
Watercooling (MCP 655 pump)

Will my current OCZ Powerstream 520 W PSU be able to allow me to overclock the CPU and graphics, or do I have to ditch it for a higher rated one?

Id move up, to atleast a 700watt psu wth good and stable rails. Just because the 8800gtx, quad core, and watercooling will be too much for that psu.

The PowerStream was a very strong server class PSU. If you don't have a lot of additional accessories I think you might just be fine.

Of course upgrading wouldn't hurt and would give additional headroom.

Bought a PCP&P Silencer 750 Quad, so technically I'm still supporting your product line Andy :D. Hopefully it will fit in my TT Armor case easier than the Powerstream did (doubtful). I've spent so much money on upgrades :eek: Gonna be so worth it.

Good choice on the PSU!

I think the silencer is a standard sized ATX enclosure. In that case it should fit without a hitch.

Thanks for keeping in the family. :D

Slightly larger than standard, actually. a little bit longer. Mostly because of the bracket on the end.

Good PSU choice but your OCZ would have been plenty with atelast 150 watts left to spare.

I will be upgrading the system in my sig to:
Q6600 "G0"
EVGA 8800 GTX
Watercooling (MCP 655 pump)

Will my current OCZ Powerstream 520 W PSU be able to allow me to overclock the CPU and graphics, or do I have to ditch it for a higher rated one?

The 750 watt is a good PSU but I just picked up a Cooler Master 850Watt it is awesome it is all the Power you will ever need it has a Peak of 1000Watt's and it has 6 +12 volt rails at 18 amps so you will get 108 Amp's for Video/CPU/HDD and it is at a pretty good price on newegg.com It is one of the best PSU's U can buy for the price and has alot of connector's.. U can go Quad Crossfire with this thing... Not that anyone would ever do such a stupid thing but still I love it.. and it will last you a long time here is the link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171017 I have this thing in my Antec 900 so I know it will fit in you're case I just can't think of a better PSU for the price.. and it is much better then quad +12 or a Single 12+ volt rail PSU.. check out the review's on some of the review site's.. I love the thing and like I said you will be set for at least 3 - 5 year's with it.. Alot of ppl slack off on there PSU's saying that 500 is good for now and stuff.. But If you know PSU's then you know a Good PSU with lot's of Power and Amp's Will help alot..

Are you serious? 150 W to spare? Even with heavy OC's? I kinda knew that my Powerstream would be able to cut it, but thought it would be close, and got the PCP&C to give me headroom.

Are you serious? 150 W to spare? Even with heavy OC's? I kinda knew that my Powerstream would be able to cut it, but thought it would be close, and got the PCP&C to give me headroom.

Buy a kill-a-watt meter and find out.

Quite serious.... Power requirments have been WAY overstated on these forums.

See for yourself.
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2988&p=30

Notice the GTX under load is consuming 329watts under load from the WALL, meaning, the actual consumption of the system from the PSU is actually slightly UNDER 300 watts. Now this test was done on a dual core not a quad core system, so even if you add another 100 watts (and that's being VERY generous on my part, dual vs quad is not going to be anywhere near 100 watts more demanding) you're still well within the OCZ's power output.

...but nearing the upper end, meaning lower efficiency and more heat, more power drawn at the wall and a shorter lifespan. Also, how old was the Powerstream? Cap degradation might have dropped its maximum output already.

Not saying the upgrade was necessary, just saying it wasn't a total waste. Also, I get higher idle and load draw than the Anandtech article by 30-50 watts. Minimal difference, but the variation is there. Add 80-100 watts for another 2 cores to the numbers I pull and you're a good bit closer to potential trouble.

Ya never thought it was a wasted upgrade, allows me peace of mind (not nearing upper end) and even room for another wave of upgrades down the line :D But I appreciate everyone's input.

Back