Is my fan safe to use?

linjy2

Limp Gawd
so yea, i moved some stuff and closed my case. what i didnt know was that a cable got lodged inbetween the fan. after about 20min i started to smell something. thought my cpu was frying but i checked my temps real quick and were normal so i quickly shut down.

sniffed my way to the source and found my fan wasnt spinning. realized a cable jammed it. the motor was burning hot. i turned the comp back on and the fan spinned ok.

if i didnt catch this in time would a fire have broke out?
is the fan safe to use still? although i already swapped it out. was just wondering since i wouldnt chance it either way.

If it didn't smoked just smelled and if it still makes same rpm's it's O.K.
Well O.K. but milage is mostprobobly greatly affected (50%) cause fet in ballbrearings doesn't like high temps. so Bearings can get stucked from to thick fet. Also on high temp grease turns into oil and tends to leak out of bering. Bearings oiled tenr to dry out from exessive heat.

Though by real enthusiast fan never seas it's rated MTBF. It's exchanged every year or two anyways. (with new case or CPU cooler or what ever)

On other hand if it isn't in his reated rpms +- tolerance (slow fans tolerance 100 and faster fans tolerance up to +- 300 rpm) or there was black/gray smoke with fire flavor then even if it works peace of coil are in shorthcut and it will heat up further and cause quick fan failure.

Though that doesn't happen normaly very quick with quality fans. Msotly if they stop their electronic stops and then tryes every 10 or more seconds is it free or not. So even if it's hours stocked it's just like 1/3 of that time realy active wich protects Him from burning out. New type of fans are pretty protected. Older models just keep on trying heating them selft to "meltdown" :)

MD

MD said:
Well O.K. but milage is mostprobobly greatly affected (50%) cause fet in ballbrearings doesn't like high temps. so Bearings can get stucked from to thick fet. Also on high temp grease turns into oil and tends to leak out of bering. Bearings oiled tenr to dry out from exessive heat.

Though by real enthusiast fan never seas it's rated MTBF. It's exchanged every year or two anyways. (with new case or CPU cooler or what ever)

On other hand if it isn't in his reated rpms +- tolerance (slow fans tolerance 100 and faster fans tolerance up to +- 300 rpm) or there was black/gray smoke with fire flavor then even if it works peace of coil are in shorthcut and it will heat up further and cause quick fan failure.

Though that doesn't happen normaly very quick with quality fans. Msotly if they stop their electronic stops and then tryes every 10 or more seconds is it free or not. So even if it's hours stocked it's just like 1/3 of that time realy active wich protects Him from burning out. New type of fans are pretty protected. Older models just keep on trying heating them selft to "meltdown" :)

MD

At first I thought why is his English so bad? I thought he was a kid, then thought he was probably drunk. Then I noticed he's from Holland.

Your fan should be fine as long as you can boot up and don't smell anything burning. Just be more careful in the future about your wires. I try to fasten mine so I know they wont get caught on anything.

cnick79 said:
At first I thought why is his English so bad? I thought he was a kid, then thought he was probably drunk. Then I noticed he's from Holland.

Dude, your a a$$. :rolleyes:

MD said:

wow, very detailed explanation, thanks.
the fan i had was a 120mm black medium speed yateloon. i dont think i will go back to this burnt fan, it still smells really bad, although it spins, i think like you said, the inners of the fan is shot. since i have no ways of measuring the rpm, i wouldn't know if it still spins at the rated speed.

altec said:
Dude, your a a$$. :rolleyes:

Wow, you're right. Sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound the way it came out. That's what I get for replying when I'm half asleep. :(

Back