Is my FX55 FUBAR?

canislupy

[H]ard|Gawd
Here is the setup:

SFF/Motherboard: Shuttle SN25P / FN25V10
Bios: used both FN25S01U and FN25S01Y (newest)

Memory: Patriot 2GB PC3200 (PDC2G3200LLK) -fail
Mushkin 2GB PC3200 (991434) -fail
OCZ 2GB PC3200 (OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K) -fail
TwinMos 512MBx2 PC3200 (M2G9J16A-TT) -pass

Tried all kit's in pairs and as individual sticks in both slots and on auto and manually set timings. I also tried timings at both spec and relaxed settings.
The 512MB sticks worked in all cases, whereas the only stick from any of the 1GB modules I got to work at all (which is to say it booted Windows), was one stick from the Patriot kit.

So, after all that, you think SN25P POS Shuttle right? Well, here is the monkey wrench in the works; I just got a X2 4400 to put in a new water colled rig I'm building, so I figured I'd throw that in the Shuttle and try it out. Low and behold, every kit/stick or RAM worked flawlessly.

So, what do people think, is my FX55 messed up? Or could it still be the Shuttle, however unlikely? I also partially say that it might still be the Shuttle because I did not have the same kind of problems with my DFI SLI-DR, though I did have some instabilities with it. Maybe the DFI is just more forgiving?

I'd hate to lose the FX55, as technically, using any other heatsink besides the retail is supposed to void the warranty, so if I use the Shuttle, doesn't that void? How is AMD on RMA's?

Yeah, all of the memory I listed above were dual channel kits with the exception of the TwinMos. I tried using them as kits in pairs and singly. All the 1GB modules failed with the exception of one.

i'll bet that FX is a clawhammer. cpu's before revE didn't like 1gb sticks all that much oc'ing wise, but it should work.. :confused:

Yeah, its a 130nm Clawhammer. One of the funny things is that it was okay (or so I thought) on the DFI (more stable than Shuttle for sure), but in hindsight, I had been getting unexplained crashes here and there while playing games... also, I tried running the FX55 in the Shuttle before, and had all kinds of problems that I just gave up on it until coming back ot it again now.

Back