Is my Inspiron 1420 8400M GS Fried?

vietpho

Limp Gawd
I have a Inspiron 1420 with a dedicated 8400M GS graphics option.

A few days ago my screen was getting a green screen with lines across.

After I rebooted and tried to start back up, my screen is just black but I can hear the volume of the Windows 7 screen (so we know the computer is booting up).

I remember one time the screen would actually show up but then it gets that green screen and just freezes again.

I've just completely dissembled my laptop following this tutorial:

http://youtu.be/jj27k2v6Bdw

I can't seem to locate the graphics card on this laptop though. I will take pictures and post it up.

I would like to also test to see if it's the actual LCD screen that's not working. Is there a way for me to do this?

I have a Inspiron 1420 with a dedicated 8400M GS graphics option.

A few days ago my screen was getting a green screen with lines across.

After I rebooted and tried to start back up, my screen is just black but I can hear the volume of the Windows 7 screen (so we know the computer is booting up).

I remember one time the screen would actually show up but then it gets that green screen and just freezes again.

I've just completely dissembled my laptop following this tutorial:

http://youtu.be/jj27k2v6Bdw

I can't seem to locate the graphics card on this laptop though. I will take pictures and post it up.

I would like to also test to see if it's the actual LCD screen that's not working. Is there a way for me to do this?

an 8400m GS would be built onto the motherboard. if you wanted to fix this you would need to bake it the whole board.

So you are saying if I had overheard the gpu, then the board would have fried also?

I've just reassmebled it and tried pluging in an external monitor and nothing.
Still a black screen :(

So you are saying if I had overheard the gpu, then the board would have fried also?

I assume you mean overheated. and yes. Search this forum for GPU baking you should be able to safely bake the whole board if you remove the CPU from its socket first.

Back