Is my low Vcore holding me back???

GrimR

Limp Gawd
O.K. Sorry if I've been creating a lot of threads lately, just that I am new to P4 overclocking.

Here is my questions. I've got my 2.8C up to 3.5 with my 250FSB and the ratio set to 5:4 so my memory is not an issue at the moment. I have the Vcore at 1.7v. So I run Prime and get errors after about 20 minutes.

Up goes the Vcore to 1.725 and now Prime will run for an hour before reporting warnings.

Should I just keep upping the voltage until it's stable? Right now, at 1.725, ABIT-EQ shows a 51C at load and my Koolance unit shows 37C. What is the safe maximum voltage for this P4?

Also, I tried upping the FSB to 255 and it reboots, I get a real loud beep and then nothing. A couple of restarts later and I can get into the BIOS to lower the FSB again. Could 250 be my max?

Sorry again for all the questions.:(

Also, does running prime95 straight for 24-48 hours with no error pretty much guarentee a stable system?

You're pushing it with the voltages. You have water cooling, which is good, but too much voltage isn't good and could quickly kill the proc if set too high.

It seems you've pretty much hit a wall. What timings are you running at?

And if you can survive 24 hours of prime with two instances going, then yes, it's pretty much stable

no need to apologize for too many questions.. (as long as they're legitimate ones ;D)

The max voltage i'd put through a P4 on air is 1.7

After 1.7v, SNDS (sudden northwood death syndrome) occurs, and chips may die suddenly/spontaneously. Kaput. However, i know others who feed plenty of volts through their chips. It's just luck of the draw, and if you're not the risky type i'd probably stop at about 1.725 just to be safe!

And i'd say prime for 24 hrs is a good indicator of a stable system!

Thanks. Guess that 4.0Gig mark is out of my reach:p

Oh well. Guess I'll be backing down the fsb till I can get it stable at 1.7v

Thanks for the help.

Back