Is my monitor worth RMAing?

Quiz

Gawd
I have a Samsung SyncMaster S23A700D.

Ever since it was new, I get distortion on the screen about once a month when the monitor wakes from a sleep. It only happens exactly around once a month and it only happens when the monitor wakes from a sleep.

It is a weird distortion.

Here is a video: http://youtu.be/WJeBx1cB5m4

My concern is that since they don't make this monitor anymore and it won't be available locally (I live in Dubai), there is not much they can do other than refund some of my money. I like the monitor and don't have a problem with the distortion because it happens roughly once a month and is fixed by turning the monitor off and back on.

Should I just keep it and live with it?

its hard to say if you should RMA it or not, it looks like the same thing my tv does every now and then, granted mine is a hanspree brand tv, and it is fixed in the same fashion as yours too.

but i will say i have not been pleased with my one samsung warranty service experience i have had in the past.

i had a monitor go bad on me, sent it in and got a replacement no big deal... so i thought. one thing i had a problem with was the condition of the bezel it was scratched all to hell, it looked like someone took a fine grit sand paper to the bezel which i assume came from improper packaging of the unit when it was shipped, all it had on it was a plastic bag and not that soft styrofoam slipcover they ship it in when you get one new. it annoyed me a little as i had packaged my old unit in all its original packaging when i sent it back to them, but they couldnt bother to return the favor. but as this was no longer my primary monitor anymore (i had bought a replacement in the meantime) i let it go as i felt it wasnt worth the hassle or the cost to get it remedied . i tested it saw the picture was good and left it at that...

what i forgot to do was fully test the monitor, it was a unit with a tv tuner built into it and a year or so later when i had moved i was going to use it as my tv... turned it on i had a picture but there was no sound... i was angry (partly with myself) that samsung would have such shitty warranty service

so i guess in the end is up to you on what you want to do... there is a problem with your monitor that one day MAY lead it to fail altogether, but is it worth it to RMA it and have a crap-shoot on what your replacement will be like, thats up to you

imo the best thing would be to sell it (disclosing there is a problem with the monitor ofc) and get a new one

oh and dont take this as a anti-samsung rant lol... the monitor i bought as a replacement for the one i sent to samsung was the newer version of the one i had, with a tv tuner as well, and has to this day worked flawlessly :cool:

Samsung warranty service is not very good in my experience either, if you send it in and they can't replicate the issue you will be out a monitor for a while...so I don't think it is worth it if it only happens once a month. Just turn your monitor off when you aren't using it.

Back