Is my new pc going to be alright?

Dachink

Limp Gawd
OK, I was cleaning off the stock thermal compound from my AMD cpu and some of the compound got onto the cpu pin so I cleaned it off with a alcohol wipe :eek: I applied some AS5 and put my heatsink in place and waited the the stuff to dry. When I turned on the pc, the moniter stayed blank, there was no beep, the fans were spinning, and there was a horrible burned smell so I turned the pc off. I took out the cpu and reapplied the AS5 and just left it to dry so I can try again today. Did I destroy my mobo or did I just mess everything up? :(

Look at the motherboard for any brown/black spots. Sniff around to see where the source of the smell is coming from. You might of fried the CPU if the stock thermal compound was electrically conductive (which I doubt). Try starting the computer with the side panel open so you have direct access to the internals and turn it off after you smell the bad smell again and try pinpointing the problem.

it booted fine but now I having some window xp install problems! When I pick "install", I get a BSOD :eek: uhhhh I don't know what to do now:(

Back