Is My P6T SAS Port 0 Fried?

MrSloppy

Limp Gawd
Hello, I've been using the P6T SAS Port 0 for a SATA HDD use and one day when I booted up my computer it said it couldn't detect my HDD anymore. It just so happens that HDD is where my OS is installed on. Switching the HDD to another SATA port worked. I tried to plug in my DVD Burner into the SAS Port 0 and once again it wasn't able to detect it either. Is my SAS Port 0 dead? Also when I sent my mobo to the Markham repair labs I got a call back saying that SAS ports has never been able to run boot HDDs and therefore everything is fine. Which is strange because it's been booting it perfectly fine for the last 2 years until it suddenly borked on me. The port wouldn't detect any other HDD or DVD burner even when I'm in Windows 7. Desperately trying to find insight on this matter. Thank you all in advance.

Maybe I should rephrase my question. Is it true that the SAS Port 0 can't be used to run a SATA boot HDD or a DVD Rom? Is it normal for windows to not be able to detect any SATA HDD or DVD Rom connected to a SAS port on the P6T?

Not sure about the system board in this particular instance but it's BS that SAS cannot be bootable. Anything you can detect on the port can be bootable so long as the BIOS/Firmware supports it.

My guess from what you've stated is that SAS 0 is now inop. However I'm not sure you can stick a CD/DVD drive on it for a test. I don't believe SAS supports such devices. I could be wrong tho.

Well at this point I'm totally in the dark. I tried to do some research online myself, I've gotten from some sources that SAS are perfectly backwards compatible with SATA HDD and DVD Drives.

The thing is right now I've sent my P6T to ASUS for RMA, and I got a call back from the receptionist saying that right now they see everything is ok and that SAS ports aren't supposed to be able to use for boot HDD.

Which is very weird because that's how I set the thing up since 2 years ago when I built it. I'm not a very knowledgeable person, I don't understand why the people from ASUS would say that. Everything worked up until a few months ago when all of the sudden it wouldn't detect my HDD and later the DVD burner when I tried plugging it in there again. For all intent and purposes, given my limited knowledge, I figured the port was dead.

I'm very confused by what the receptionist had said, I fear for the worst that this might be their way of BSing me out of the repairs I need. That's why I'm here, desperately hoping someone who knows far more than I do can share with me their knowledge and insight on this matter. I don't know how much time I have left before they tell me to come pick up the Mobo.

I need SOMETHING to actually challenge the results they gave me. I hope the HardOCP community can help me out here, you guys really are the only folks I know left who I can turn where I know I can get help. The ASUS P6T forums are dead and I haven't been able to get any response there.

I still need some confirmation or assistance on this thing, thanks in advance!

If your hard drive is not detected on the SAS port it previously worked on, but does work on the Intel SATA ports than you know that your hard drive works and there is something wrong with the SAS controller. You also tried it with other hard drives, this clearly indicates something is wrong with the SAS ports or controller.

I wouldn't worry about the booting issue since you know that works because you've been doing it for years. Also if the drive isn't detected by the controller, of course you're not going to be able to boot off it..

Can Asus not just test your SAS controller and ports and replicate the same behavior? The booting issue should not even be mentioned to them since that's not the problem.

Also, is there a reason you are even using the Marvell SAS controller for SATA disks instead of the Intel ports? If there is any performance difference at all I'd bet the Intel ports are faster and they are going to be more reliable.

If your hard drive is not detected on the SAS port it previously worked on, but does work on the Intel SATA ports than you know that your hard drive works and there is something wrong with the SAS controller. You also tried it with other hard drives, this clearly indicates something is wrong with the SAS ports or controller.

I wouldn't worry about the booting issue since you know that works because you've been doing it for years. Also if the drive isn't detected by the controller, of course you're not going to be able to boot off it..

Can Asus not just test your SAS controller and ports and replicate the same behavior? The booting issue should not even be mentioned to them since that's not the problem.

Also, is there a reason you are even using the Marvell SAS controller for SATA disks instead of the Intel ports? If there is any performance difference at all I'd bet the Intel ports are faster and they are going to be more reliable.

I've been using the SAS ports entirely due to lack of knowledge. Anyways ASUS gave me a P6T <Green> replacement for my P6T, but they said they weren't able to detect any problems on my P6T regardless so in the end I'm grateful to them and everyone in here.

I'll need to test out the SAS ports on this new P6T <Green>, but I need to solve the issue of my CPU's heat first.

For some reason, even though I have a TRUE-120 HSF, my i7 920 core temperatures are still at 38-40C idle, at Vcore 1.01 volts, everything else set to AUTO. Ambient temperature is around 22C.

I heard this was normal temperature for the stock HSF, but I don't understand why my TRUE-120 isn't capable of driving the temperatures lower?

Is it because my TRUE-120 isn't lapped or uses the penny mod trick? Is that necessary? Are my temperatures at stock too high to even consider overclocking?

Back