is my power supply dying?

chaos68

n00b
Every time i start up any game, be it sins of a solar empire, supreme commander, or css the computer turns off as soon as i enter a game. My pc specs are 2 gigs of ram, q6600, evga 680i sli motherboard, evga 8800gtx, and an x-fi sound card. None of the specs have changed recently.

It's a definite possibility. The only way to know for sure though is to change it out with a known good one. What PSU do you have?

it's an aspire 680W psu, it's a couple of years old now i think.

You're lucky that thing hasn't burned down your house :eek: Whether your problem turns out to be your PSU or not, go ahead and invest in a good quality, not so dangerous, PSU.

I can guarantee you that it wouldn't have been able to do 660watts brand new. By now, it's probably barely able to squeak out 200watts.

hmm, guess it's a good thing my parents have insurance, because after all, nothing prevents accidents like having insurance, but I've got a new one ordered anyway and hopefully that will fix my problem.

hmm, guess it's a good thing my parents have insurance, because after all, nothing prevents accidents like having insurance, but I've got a new one ordered anyway and hopefully that will fix my problem.

What'd you get?

an ocz 700W, should be here by tomorrow.

Well that OCZ GameXStream 700W should be a step up from your current piece of shit Aspire PSU. But do note that the OCZ GameXStream 700W is only good for about 500W IIRC. Any higher than that and you'll see out of spec ripple, or voltage fluctuations, that may damage your PC overtime. But you should be fine for now since your system only needs a 500W PSU anyway.

But seriously, that GameXStream 700W was a poor buy.

His rig will draw nowhere near 500 watts. It likely won't even draw 300watts. The OCZ, while certainly not the best PSU you can get in it's range will more than handle his system with wattage to spare before any out of spec ripple kicks in.

the $35 mir kinda made it worthwhile, but as long as it lasts a year i'll be fine.

First thing I would check is your CPU HSF. If it is clogged with dust then it will produce the same symptoms you have described.

I'd also run a memory testing program such as Memtest86. If one of your modules has a bad address then it can shut your machine off too. Or, give you BSODs.

Back