Is my Power supply hindering my machine's performance?

sanosuke2999

Weaksauce
Hi, I am running all the stuff under my sig with a thermaltake pure power 420 watt PS. During processor heavy applications my computer always slows down to a crawl. My friend's machines don't suffer from this and have slower processors and less ram. I figure that maybe the slow down could be due to my PSU not being able to deliver the power needed to all my hardware. So if I should upgrade my PSU does anyone have any recommendations to something that would give me enough juice for a system like mine? Also I am planning to add 2 more harddrives by the end of the year, 300 gig ones.

It is most likely other software on your system slowing you down...
Only problems power supplies will cause is random reboots and fried hardware... maybe the occasional BSOD..

Sounds like a software deal that may be fixed with a clean reformat.

Thermaltake PSUs, while far from the best, they aren't bad for general use. It probably isn't your power supply.

about the only thing a PSU can "limit" is a stablity
as mentioned any power issues will be instabilities &crashes
(or smoke and fires :p)

about the only "performance" issue I can think of would be higher electromagnetic fields from an unsheilded enclosure or poor routing of power cables and sebsequently data cables picking that up as Electromagnetic interference and the drives taking a CRC penalty since they need to resend the data more often

Look to software first
how youve configured and optimized the filesystem (pagefile\access patterns)
malware

and test your components, latent defects in the ICs could account for poor performance
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=761614
but it wouldnt be at the top of the list

Back