Is my PSU failing or whats going on?

Dulak

Limp Gawd
I have a antec 500watt smart power running my system - I used to have 5 HDS and a 8800gts hooked up to my system.

Overtime I had to slowly unplug some drives because my system would not boot up; ie the fans would spin for 2 seconds then power down and keep doing this.

So now I have 3 hds running in my system.

But now ... when I try to run any games and try to start a game my system crashes and reboots.

Does this sound like a PSU that is failing? ie got the new fear but I cant play it because when I go to run it my system reboots. I can run some other lower ress games just not fear.

Yes, that does sound like it could be a PSU issue. If your unit is no longer capable of supplying sufficient power to the video card when it is under load, then that could cause shutdowns and crashes. Plus, the Smartpower line is not particularly good quality. I recommend that you look into RMAing the PSU, and if your warranty is no longer valid, consider purchasing a new unit. If you need recommendations, provide your full system specs and I'd be happy to help you out.

Hey thanks Zero for the reply ...

My specs are:
DFI lanparty (forgot which MB)
6600 quad core
8800gts640 meg version
4 gigs of corsair 2x2megs

Will be running 3 WD 640aaks HDs, 1 750aaks WD, and 1 older IBM 250 gig sata2 drive along with 1-2 dvd roms drives.
So total of 5 HDs and 1-2 DVD roms

I live in the UK atm so will need to get a supply from here. I prefer modular since I am running a antec p150 case which is relatively small. But may consider a different supply if I can figure out some cable management.

Is there a particular retailer that you would like to purchase from? I'm not too familiar with UK online retailers, so if you could provide me with a list of the PSUs available to you or tell me where to look, it would be much easier to provide recommendations. As it is, any decent >500W PSU will be able to handle your rig fine though.

Well I have bought from these 2 places before
http://www.yoyotech.co.uk/powersupply-500w-650w-c-183_221.html
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/S...es-PSUs/Desktop-PSUs?first_answer=1&Next=true

but if you recommend something thats not there then I will do my best to try to find that.
I recommend this PSU out of the options you linked to: http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/11447

Also, I suggest you try an RMA before you actually go out and buy a new PSU.
Both retailers have OCZ 500W PSU's, they will be fine. :D
All of OCZ's 500W PSUs are of mediocre quality. They are not worth the price and compare unfavourably to other PSUs that are both cheaper and more reliable.

All of OCZ's 500W PSUs are of mediocre quality. They are not worth the price and compare unfavourably to other PSUs that are both cheaper and more reliable
Really! :eek:

For about 45-GBP, the OCZ 500W StealthXStream Power Supply is a good and viable option for his mid-range system.

Non-Professional Review in mid-range system: http://www.techaddicts.net/reviews/stealth500/stealth500.html

OCZ has about the best customer service in the industry.

These are not top Seasonic or Delta builds, but at about 45-GBP represents a good value & is more than capable of getting the job done!

Of course a Corsair 620/650 would be better, but far more expensive & not necessary.

Your choice of an Antec 500W is fine, but also about 60-GBP, an increase of about 33% in price.

My OCZ 500W StealthXStream recommendation stands.

Dave :D

Really! :eek:

For about 45-GBP, the OCZ 500W StealthXStream Power Supply is a good and viable option for his mid-range system.

Non-Professional Review in mid-range system: http://www.techaddicts.net/reviews/stealth500/stealth500.html

OCZ has about the best customer service in the industry.

These are not top Seasonic or Delta builds, but at about 45-GBP represents a good value & is more than capable of getting the job done!

Of course a Corsair 620/650 would be better, but far more expensive & not necessary.

Your choice of an Antec 500W is fine, but also about 60-GBP, an increase of about 33% in price.

My OCZ 500W StealthXStream recommendation stands.

Dave :D

I'm about to pick up a 500w StealthXStream as a back up psu this weekend, $25USD, BNIB courtesy of craigslist, seems like it could be a decent psu, hopefully my Antecs (True Power Trio 650w and Basiq 500w) keep going strong and I never find out...

Umm, how does that review prove anything? No load testing nor ripple testing.

The StealthXStream is based off the FSP Episilon PSU design which has out of spec ripple, or voltage fluctuations, at high loads that can damage or kill your system. Granted, you may not reach such high loads but why pay for a PSU that can kill your system?

EDIT: I really should do some research.

Non-Professional Review
My point exactly.

When you can get a significantly better PSU for 10GBP more, why not do so? The Antec unit I suggested is a very high-quality Seasonic-made unit and it will be able to handle his current system extremely well and allow for future upgrades. There's no reason to settle for less.

My point exactly.

When you can get a significantly better PSU for 10GBP more, why not do so? The Antec unit I suggested is a very high-quality Seasonic-made unit and it will be able to handle his current system extremely well and allow for future upgrades. There's no reason to settle for less.
If I could have found a "professional review" I would have posted it. I wish OKW could oversee the review of every single PSU on the market!

My reason for recommending the OCZ is that given his extremely limited choice of retailers, and the customary over-pricing of computer products in the UK,
it represents a "Best Bang for the Buck" for a "known good" PSU from a highly respected company offering excellent support in the UK/EU.

As the OCZ will provide more than enough clean & stable power for his mid-range system, while providing more than sufficient headroom & future capacity,
it is a sound recommendation.

If he chooses to invest more, then several Antec's, Corsair's, PC P&C's, Silverstone's, etc are certainly excellent options.

Dave :)

If I could have found a "professional review" I would have posted it. I wish OKW could oversee the review of every single PSU on the market!
That may be so, but how do you know if that PSU is good if there aren't any proper reviews of it? The fact is, you claim that it is a reliable PSU and yet you provide no evidence to support that claim.
it represents a "Best Bang for the Buck" for a "known good" PSU from a highly respected company offering excellent support in the UK/EU.
That's the thing. It isn't a "known good" PSU because it uses the "known bad" FSP Epsilon platform as Danny already pointed out. And OCZ is certainly not a highly respected company. They are firmly in the mid-range to low-end segment of nearly every single area they have products in. Their PSUs are decent at best and crap at worst.

So I'm sorry if I offended you, but quite simply, you made a bad suggestion.

That may be so, but how do you know if that PSU is good if there aren't any proper reviews of it? The fact is, you claim that it is a reliable PSU and yet you provide no evidence to support that claim.

That's the thing. It isn't a "known good" PSU because it uses the "known bad" FSP Epsilon platform as Danny already pointed out. And OCZ is certainly not a highly respected company. They are firmly in the mid-range to low-end segment of nearly every single area they have products in. Their PSUs are decent at best and crap at worst.

So I'm sorry if I offended you, but quite simply, you made a bad suggestion.
It is clear that you have very little if any personal experience using the products we are discussing & you most certainly have never worked with the excellent people at OCZ!

By the way, OCZ owns PC P&C,
Dave :p

It is clear that you have very little if any personal experience using the products we are discussing & you most certainly have never worked with the excellent people at OCZ!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem
By the way, OCZ owns PC P&C
That has absolutely no bearing on either company. The purchase has not affected the quality of the products offered by either company (OCZ's PSUs are still mediocre, and PCP&C's PSUs are still good), and PCP&C operates fairly autonomously. Another thing that I'd like to point out is that OCZ owns PCP&C, they didn't create it. They are not responsible for the quality of PCP&C's units in any way.

Hey guys ... appreciate the feedback.

I've been doing some review searching and am leaning toward these 2 PSUs

The antec neo 550 or the BFG 550 MX
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/361/10
reviews both of the PSU and actually rates the antec better.

Hardocp reviewed the BFG 550mx and rated it very high.

One things make me hesitant about getting the antec neoHE 550 - some questionable reviews over at newegg (perhaps they stopped selling this psu because of too many returns?).

The BFG looks good to me - but was curious at the fact it looks like the 120mm fan is at the top of the unit and my PS is located at the top of the case P150(not sure how that would work out.

Was going to add I can get the antec for 68GBP the BFG for 73GBP I can get the Corsair 520 for 80GBP but to be honest I am not as interested in it as the other 2.

The BFG looks good to me - but was curious at the fact it looks like the 120mm fan is at the top of the unit and my PS is located at the top of the case P150(not sure how that would work out.
The fan points downward when the PSU is installed at the top of a case.

As for which PSU you should buy, IMO it's pretty much a wash, with maybe a bit of an edge toward the BFG. Just go with whichever one is cheaper.

Hey guys ... appreciate the feedback.

I've been doing some review searching and am leaning toward these 2 PSUs

The antec neo 550 or the BFG 550 MX
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/361/10
reviews both of the PSU and actually rates the antec better.

Hardocp reviewed the BFG 550mx and rated it very high.

One things make me hesitant about getting the antec neoHE 550 - some questionable reviews over at newegg (perhaps they stopped selling this psu because of too many returns?).

Was going to add I can get the antec for 68GBP the BFG for 73GBP I can get the Corsair 520 for 80GBP but to be honest I am not as interested in it as the other 2.
Both are good PSU's & the fan will draw air in to the PSU regardless of orientation.

Good Gaming,
Dave :)

Back