Is my PSU good enough for a 6950?

Jon55

2[H]4U
A few months ago I picked up a Seasonic S12II 620W EPS12V from NCIX US after hearing that SeaSonic is an awesome manufacturer and that this was a highly recommended PSU. I had planned on picking up a 6950 1GB sometime in the future but now I'm a little worried because someone had informed me that that PSU only has 24 amps, and most 6950s want 30+. So is not enough to run a 6950?

System specs:
i5 750
ASUS P7P55D mobo
4GB DDR3
8800 GT
1 HDD
1 monitor: ASUS 23" 1680x1050

There's no OC'ing of any kind going on. I know that a 6950 1GB is probably a little overkill for 1 monitor at that resolution, but I was considering that card or a 6870.

You're totally fine, and you should stop taking advice from whoever told you the PSU isn't enough.

You're totally fine, and you should stop taking advice from whoever told you the PSU isn't enough.

I appreciate the response, but could you give me a quick run-down/more technical reason why it's good enough? Is 24 amps plenty for a 6950? I just want to better understand why that PSU is good enough. I've done some reading before on PSUs, but I'm still a little confused on some things like proper amps and what GPUs require (as far as amps go)

1) The HD 6950 1GB doesn't need 30A by itself. That 30A rating is usually for the entire PC + GPU. And even then it's inflated quite a bit to cover the possibility of the user using a shitty PSU

2) The Seasonic doesn't have just 24A on the +12V rail. You determine the amperage on the +12V rails by first finding out what's the total combined, max load, combined or max wattage set aside for the +12V rails/section alone. Then divide that total by 12 and you get how much amps the PSU has on the +12V rail. That's the correct way to find out how much amps a power supply has. Don't add up the amps on the +12V rail to figure out the amperage. Doesn't work that way.

So in this case, the Seasonic's PSU label shows that the PSU has a total of 576W on the +12V rail. Divide that by 12. So that Seasonic has a combined +12V total of 48A on the +12V rail. So even if we were to take that 30A requirement at face value, there would still be more than enough power.

3) That system doesn't use up anywhere near the limits of that Seasonic PSU.

I appreciate the response, but could you give me a quick run-down/more technical reason why it's good enough? Is 24 amps plenty for a 6950?
1) Yes.
2) That PSU is actually a single-rail unit with one 48A +12V rail.

Back