Is my UT-D dead?

cre8chaos

[H]ard|Gawd
So here is the story. I put together my rig on air and run it for the last 3 weeks to test all the parts while I work on the phase change/ chiller, Anywho so my buddy got a 4400+ and needed to test it and didn't want to strip his Tec insulation off so I took my rig to his house and put his chip in and played with it for a bit. I bring it home and the cap fell off my 79gt (different section of the forum I know but) so I get out the old x300 and put it in. Hit the power button and the fans and stuff flash on then right back off.
The test lights come on and act normal. Only thing I see is 4 red lights in the bottom corner lit up.
I got no book with the used board and can not find out what the 4 red led's are for online but either way. Is it a lost cause and go Mobo shopping now?

The board is not necessarily dead. I would attribute it to some sort of grounding issue, or a mis-plugged VGA card. Whenever I have this problem, it's typically minor. I generally buy reputable parts that have no history of dying, though. So trouble shooting is sometimes easier for me than others. I would unseat the video card, and reseat it, placing a little pressure on the extremeties of the VGA board. I can't even count how many time i've seen users get the card in, but not properly seat the "butt" of the card. Also, If you need help fixing that 7900 GT, shoot me a P.M., I'll do it if you pay shipping and throw in a $5 into the box for my time.

(Assuming the capacitor is fine)

I believe the 4 LEDs on the bottom of the board indicate the outcome of the self tests. 4 lights should mean that everything tested O.K. I remember having a similar problem with my Ultra-D, and reseating the video card a few times seemed to solve the problem. If you like, I can look in the manual when (if) I get home tonight for the exact meaning of the LEDs.

diredesire said:
The board is not necessarily dead. I would attribute it to some sort of grounding issue, or a mis-plugged VGA card. Whenever I have this problem, it's typically minor. I generally buy reputable parts that have no history of dying, though. So trouble shooting is sometimes easier for me than others. I would unseat the video card, and reseat it, placing a little pressure on the extremeties of the VGA board. I can't even count how many time i've seen users get the card in, but not properly seat the "butt" of the card

I moved the card to both different slots and put in the x300 and it all does the same thing.
I am lost....I can solder the cap back on but if MSI will do it then I will RMA it. No huge hurry on the video card. I am still building the extream cooling for it all. :(

ilikecake said:
I believe the 4 LEDs on the bottom of the board indicate the outcome of the self tests. 4 lights should mean that everything tested O.K. I remember having a similar problem with my Ultra-D, and reseating the video card a few times seemed to solve the problem. If you like, I can look in the manual when (if) I get home tonight for the exact meaning of the LEDs.
Me like cake 2 lol
That would be great if you make it home.

According to the manual, the LEDs light up left to right:

0 LEDs - System boot-up
1 LEDs - VGA detected
2 LEDs - DRAM detected
3 LEDs - CPU detected
4 LEDs - System start-up

It seems like the board is working okay. Are you sure the new video card works?

ilikecake said:
According to the manual, the LEDs light up left to right:

0 LEDs - System boot-up
1 LEDs - VGA detected
2 LEDs - DRAM detected
3 LEDs - CPU detected
4 LEDs - System start-up

It seems like the board is working okay. Are you sure the new video card works?

The 79 no but the x300 did a couple months ago. I will try to reseat it again and again and see.

So I put 2 different cards in and it just pulses on enought to start the fans spinning and then shuts right back off. I take out all video cards and hit the power button and it spins up and (not that i can see it ) but acts like it went to windowz log in.
So 2 dead video cards? I don't know it the board was modded to SLI or not could that be the problem. Maybe one of the pencil lines lost connection?
I am not new to building computers but this a new one on me. :mad:

No one has had this problem? Please some one give me some idea. I am out of them.

Try unplugging the PSU, let the board drain of the power, the yellow LEDs.

Reset the CMOS.

Plug in a PS/2 keyboard.

Plug the PSU back in and power on holding the Delete key.

I've had this probably before, it's a pain in the ass.

If that doesn't work, I can't help you...

did the battery drain but did not boot up holding the Del key. I will give it a go when I get home from work tonight. Thanks

Reseat your processor.

Four lights means system starting up, if it doesn't move to 3 lights where it detects your cpu, then there is your problem.

Yes, I speak from experience, I have the board and went through the same problem/symptoms right after I mounted a waterblock. It moved something just enough to make it not work.

I will try again. I did seat it over again but I will do it again for craps and giggles. Did you not get a screen of any kind when your's did it?

So I did 3 times and nothing. I am thinking I killed the opty now. If you both say the 4 red's mean good to go it must be. :( Any one got a cheap cheap 939 to try it out?

Hey, did you try doing a cmos clear and removing the battery overnight? I have 3 dfi's and one of them acts up sometimes, and doing this gets it going again.

4X4N said:
Hey, did you try doing a cmos clear and removing the battery overnight? I have 3 dfi's and one of them acts up sometimes, and doing this gets it going again.

Yep pulled all the wires took out the battery and jumped the pin to clear the cmos for 48 hours (I was at work) and that did nothing. Thanks though.

got a 3200+ cheap and dropped it in and fired right up. I looked and looked at the 144 and can not find a thing that "looks" wrong with it.
Go figure, So up and crunching again. World Community Grid over on XS.org. Come join in ;)

Back