Is My Win 7 Install going bad? Small but strange problems

Savi

Gawd
Hey I got no idea what’s going on with my Windows 7 Install, just a few strange problems keep happing, and I have no idea why. First problem I noticed was .flac files open in windows media player even though the file association is set to Winamp even with an open with Winamp it opens in media player. I posted on the forums for that but seem no one could figure out why. Now my 2nd strange problem is that whenever I Insert a CD a shortcut for that CD is created on the desktop. Also when I turn on my PC or restart it that also creates a shortcut for the CD if there is one in there.

I have run Spybot - Search & Destroy, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, and SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition to check for any crap on my PC and nada, all came up clean, I ran Avast Pro Antivirus, full system scan, and it as well came up clean. Another random problem I have seen lately is when I download something in Firefox; Firefox freezes up and doesn’t respond for about 20 sec's. This does not happen often only once in a while, not sure if it’s Firefox or a Windows Problem.

I got no idea what’s going on with my Windows 7, I installed it when Win 7 was released I bought the upgrade version, did a clean install on a new SSD back then. These are the only problems I have had with Win 7. Is my install going bad, any ideas on what I could do to figure out these stupid problems, I would rather not reinstall Windows till I build my new PC next year lol don’t really wana go through the hassle of it unless I have to. Any help be nice :)

Last edited:
I'd personally reformat. You could have a virus that isn't getting picked up, either way something is messed up. Might not be what you want to hear, but really win7 only takes 1 hour max to reinstall, if you got a ton of programs then it might be a while to reinstall all those but I think that would be better than trying to trouble shoot something that seems pretty broken. Never heard of cd shortcuts being created when restarting pc, that's pretty weird.

What Brand CD drive do you have? First thing I would check is to see if you have installed any software suite for the drive unintentionally, either through an optional update from Windows or what ever. Sounds like something an annoying piece of software would do. If it's happening when booting up the computer, check your start up applications. msconfig is a good place to start.

CCleaner will also show you your start up applications.

:/

cd drive i think its a samsung, prety sure it is one been while cant rember to well. Doesnt say brand name on the front of it. Meh i guess i will reformat and install. I know it dont take to long just a hassle backing up the various settings for the programs i use lol. Thx :)

Back