Is nVidia's Firewall (ActiveArmo) [H] or not?

willie92

Limp Gawd
I'm not sure this is exactly the right place for this post, but I'll start here...

So what's the deal with nVidia's firewall (ActiveArmor)? If you look on nVidia's web page they make it seem like ActiveArmor has [H]ardOCP's stamp of approval. But I've not seen too many positive posting about it.

In my own personal experience, I installed it a couple of months ago and it seemed to work fine. Then I upgraded my chipset drives (for a nForce 4 ASUS A8N-SLI Premium) and in order to upgrade ActiveArmor it wanted me to uninstall it. Fine. I did, rebooted, but the installation hung and I've not been able to reinstall it since.

So I go hunting around the [H] forums and find this! My browser (Firefox of course) was doing the same sort of "stuttering"! I thought it was just because I usually have a dozen or so websites open in the tabs. But now that ActiveArmor isn't installed my browser works like it used to!

So what's the deal with ActiveArmor and/or nVidia's firewall? Is it crap (like I'm inclined to believe now...) or what?

crap, stay well away from it.

I learned the hard way - I borked a friends box by installing it :eek:

I'm not trying to bash nVidia because generally I love their stuff, but I don't understand why [H]ardOCP is letting them tarnish their good name if the firewall is pants (to steal a British phrase).

willie92 said:
I'm not trying to bash nVidia because generally I love their stuff, but I don't understand why [H]ardOCP is letting them tarnish their good name if the firewall is pants (to steal a British phrase).

Yeah if it's crap why are they using the [H] logo?

Heard back from Kyle this morning. He said the quote that appears on nVidia's page is accurate...for the time when it was made...2 years ago...before SP2 and Windows firewall.

So it would appear everything is true (in a sense). [H]ardOCP did endorse ActiveArmor before SP2 came out and people are right for not using it now...

Jinx_player said:
Do you have a router? If you do you have a firewall, congrads!
Yeah, but how many people honestly rely on just their routers firewall??? Or am I just being paranoid?

willie92 said:
Yeah, but how many people honestly rely on just their routers firewall??? Or am I just being paranoid?

If you set it up well then I would. Use WPA on the wireless, make sure that you have rules defined for services you do use and don't have that "Forward all other traffic to IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" thing going and you should be fine.

willie92 said:
considering how difficult it is to get the services working across the router that I _want_ to have working, I would think that my router's FW is certainly better than the winXP stuff.

Aside from that: active armor is teh junk.

ActiveArmor is junk! I just built a new rig 2 weeks ago and couldn't download without getting corrupted files every time. I did a lot of searching for answers and finally found out it was the ActiveArmor. As soon as I uninstalled that crap, everything worked fine. If you buy an Nvidia board, don't install it -- if you already have it, uninstall it.

Back