Is Our Internet Future In Danger?

My whole point is that this bottleneck is due to the companies themselves, NOT because of our usage habits. In one form or the other, they need to upgrade, get rid of the bottlenecks, and make sure that their connection to the rest of the world is a good one.

You are very much correct. I never disagreed with that at all. You seem to understand how it all works. However the way I am reading most people's post them seem to think that fiber to the home is a direct connection to the internet without going through the ISP's network or that it gives you 100% unrestricted bandwidth... Which is completely untrue. In the end you are only as restricted as the companies largest bottleneck that you go through. Which my guess for most would be their connection up the chain to get to the top level ISPs. Or in the case of the top level, what type of equipment interconnects them all.

My whole point has just been that swapping fiber in that last mile to replace the copper alone isn't enough and doesn't do anything magical. You still need to work on replacing a lot more stuff and make sure that your entire network from the home to the larger ISP above you is able to provide enough bandwidth. Like you said, you have to remove the bottlenecks caused by the company. Be it a slow connection between them and the next level up or slow connection between locations. It doesn't matter what type of connection you have, dsl, cable, fiber all are limited by the what equipment your ISP has further up the line from you.

And that is what most of these people like AT&T have a problem with. The whole upgrading your network concept cost too much money so they would rather give you restrictions so that they don't have to upgrade.

And then there's this:

http://hothardware.com/News/Cisco-Announces-new-MegaRouter/

The Cisco Aggregation Services Router 9000, or ASR 9000, has "six times more capacity and is four times faster than any other router in its class" handling up to 6.4 Terabits per second of data. To put this in perspective, Cisco claims a "single ASR 9000 could deliver high definition video streams to every household in Los Angeles simultaneously".

Bandwidth ppphhhhtttt.... No shortages here.

I have heard this same arguement for the last 20 years ago when I was using the first IRC clients on VAX and UNIX, and UUNET and FTP were considered bleeding edge (had a 2 year long game of old UNIX EMPIRE game running about then though telnet to Italy)

Back in the late 80s they said if everyone had a modem, the net would crash.

In the early 90s they said broadband, and the explosion of China and Europe would cause all IPs to be used, and there was no solution

By the late 90s there was the whole Y2K would crash the Internet, and if it didn't, by 2001 there would be no bandwidth. Everyone would be at near dialup speeds no matter what you had because there was no more bandwidth.

Today I play a MMO in out of Iceland, have FPS servers I like in England, and Brazil and have more bandwidth than ever (up 20Mbps/down 20Mbps) Ping never over 200ms on a bad day, and almost any US based server is under 50ms.

Anyone who says the Internet can not adapt is either fooling themselves, and needs to learn how to make money from the switchover in equipment or software to make it keep working. The only upgrade I see in the next 50 years is IP6 and that will not happen easily, and for the first 5 years or so not be exclusive.

And then there's this:

http://hothardware.com/News/Cisco-Announces-new-MegaRouter/

The Cisco Aggregation Services Router 9000, or ASR 9000, has "six times more capacity and is four times faster than any other router in its class" handling up to 6.4 Terabits per second of data. To put this in perspective, Cisco claims a "single ASR 9000 could deliver high definition video streams to every household in Los Angeles simultaneously".

Bandwidth ppphhhhtttt.... No shortages here.

Thats nothing. the Cisco CSR-1 does up to 92Tbps.

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5763/index.html

http://cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5763/prod_brochure0900aecd800f8118.pdf

Japan may be a fraction of the size of the U.S. but I still don't see why the speeds have to be so much slower in the States. A lot of the fiber backbone rings are run on the right of way of railways which crisscross all over North America. Connecting America should not be a problem. In other words, size has nothing to do with it. It's how you use it :D

In the article it said 96GB is used in 32hrs of interactive gaming. Does that sound right?

There is no such thing as a bandwidth shortage.

this is the broadband companies levying for position to force metering upon us .

if the consumers do not respond and drop their service when companies places caps
and or meters their service we are headed for a painful future .

this needs to be put to a halt these companies need to take their profits and upgrade there infrastructure .

the only thing that will keep the internet moving forward is if this companies provide affordable unlimited uncaped plans .

the only thing we can do about it is drop any provider who switches to metering or caped plans .

this may be difficult but it has to be done or else we will be looking at teired inter net services that give you access to certin sites but you have to pay for other sites

and if you reach 50 gigs you have to pay 10 cents per gig over.

and all the innovation that bought us what we have to day will die and the only companies adding new content and features to the net will be at&t and comcast you might as well forget about the next generation you tubes and facebooks .

because this is not competition providing for better services this is a threat that will permanently harm the internet as we know it.
the future that is at the moment untethered and full of possibilities, but if these companies have their way they will stunt this future and it will easily be predictable by just looking at the cable industry.

these practices will most likely harm the economy in ways never thought possible.

so DONT write your congress man

VOTE with your DOLLARS and drop comcast and at&t timewarner and any other provider that caps or meters your bandwidth.

agreed, its just scare tactics. theyre trying to get us used to limited internet. it wont happen, market demand will prevail.

I suppose you leave you TV on all the time, and let your water faucets run all day too. :rolleyes:

As they mention in the article broadband should be a pay for usage system. That's the only fair way to level the playing field.

Um, no. Water is charged by the amount you use. What's the use of running water all the time? At least when I'm downloading all the time, i'm getting something. Bad analogy.

It's hilarious that the US can't keep up with even third-world countries. Oh wait, they don't have the greedy ISP's and Telco's that we do. Damn...

... In the article it said 96GB is used in 32hrs of interactive gaming. Does that sound right?

Doesn't sound at all right to me. That would require the game to be streaming at a mean of ~870 Kbps.

Last game I played online that would give me the current Kbps ranged between 80 and 150 kbps, and that was with 32 players.

Back