Is RipBot suppose to take this long?

-iLLuZioN-B18C1

Limp Gawd
Background:
I have a E6400 2.13 ghz duocore. 2 gigs ram. win 7. Geforce 210 vid card.

I have ripped to hd using anydvdhd. Then using ripbot, 2 pass. The first pass is saying that it will take 18 hours. and the FPS at the bottom of the ripbot screen is showing 2.XX FPS. I didn't go through with it since it was going to take so long.

Now I have read that normal times are 6-8 hours, I think this includes both passes. Is my system just that outdated?

On a side note (if it matters), I had a VideoTS folder with VOB files (made using dvd shrink) that was 4.35 gb. I was able to convert those to mkv in about 40 mins on the first pass, and 2 hours on the second pass.

Yeah, that sounds right.

The E6XXX series don't have SSE 4.1, which speeds up encodign noticeably, plus its a ~2GHz dual core.

On my old E7300 C2D it would take ~13-14 hours.

SSE4.1 doesn't help at all.

The reason it's so slow is two fold: your settings are slow (as they should be) and the processor isn't that fast.

SSE4.1 doesn't help at all.

The reason it's so slow is two fold: your settings are slow (as they should be) and the processor isn't that fast.

Weird, I remember reading somewhere it sped up encoding video, comparing two C2D's one without the set, one with it at the same GHz, and the one with it was like 10% faster.

x264's performance scales almost linearly so you'd see a huge benefit (100%+ speed increase) in using a quad core processor over a dual core. An i7 970/980X would be the best single processor you can get for encoding.

Would times benefit greatly just by going with a QXXXX processor or will I need an i5/7?

Going to a core2quad will help a lot, probably cutting times in half.

This may be a good time to go Sandy Bridge. Even if you don't overclock you will see great performance increse. Plus you get to use Intel Quicksync (SB encoding engine). Once it's supported by ripbot (if ever), your encoding times may end up faster than realtime.

i actually have been looking at the 2600k i7, trying to price it with mobo/ram/cooler, its coming out to roughly 600ish. Do you think the rip times will be cut drastically? Would hoping for a 2pass in the neighborhood of 4-5 hours be pushing it :p

Might wanna fix that link, Snowknight26, it's pointing at this thread itself.

As for using the raw horsepower of a Sandy Bridge CPU, hell yes it'll cut your encoding times dramatically compared to what you've currently got. That old Core 2 Duo had it's time in the sun, if you're serious about video encoding work for whatever reason, it's the processor of choice as of right now.

Also, consider doing some test encodings (single chapters, or trailers, or whatever) that are only a few minutes of footage and then you can tinker around with the RipBot settings. There is very rarely a situation where the default settings are always going to be "the best" encoding settings - besides, if your eyes can't see a difference between the results of a 40 minute encoding vs a 4 hour encoding, wouldn't it make more sense and save more time to just do 40 minute encodes when they'll end up looking pretty much exactly the same?

I very rarely if ever use the defaults for anything regarding video encoding (and I prefer HandBrake above all other encoders myself), and I get results that look good enough for me and my Wife while taking 10x less time to do the encodings. Just something to consider... "the best" isn't the goal: good enough should be...

Would times benefit greatly just by going with a QXXXX processor or will I need an i5/7?

Yeah, it would speed it up a lot, like cut the time in half.

If you are strapped for cash you could upgrade to a QXXXX. Lots of people are upgrading to SB, so they are becoming more readily available in the used market.

The above is what I did, bought a Q6600, and sold my E7300. The total swap cost about $25. Not bad considering it will extend my current system life by a year or so.

Yeah, it would speed it up a lot, like cut the time in half.

If you are strapped for cash you could upgrade to a QXXXX. Lots of people are upgrading to SB, so they are becoming more readily available in the used market.

The above is what I did, bought a Q6600, and sold my E7300. The total swap cost about $25. Not bad considering it will extend my current system life by a year or so.

After reading more reviews on the new SB processor I'm starting to think that I want to go ahead and go with a 2600k and overclock it. I'm just not sure if I want to spend the money and go with 2600k or go cheaper with the 2500k.

After reading more reviews on the new SB processor I'm starting to think that I want to go ahead and go with a 2600k and overclock it. I'm just not sure if I want to spend the money and go with 2600k or go cheaper with the 2500k.

The main difference between the 2500k and 2600k is HT. That should give a slight speed bump on your encoding times but not much.

IMO the 2500k is a better value. You get close to 2600k performance and save about 100 bucks.

The main difference between the 2500k and 2600k is HT. That should give a slight speed bump on your encoding times but not much.

IMO the 2500k is a better value. You get close to 2600k performance and save about 100 bucks.

I looked at this graph...

1293839528CCXLXmKatJ_5_4.png

converting bluray to mkv, which is what I'm mostly interested in, and times are fairly 'close'.

Assuming a 2 hour movie instead of 2.5 mins, and looking at both the overclocked 2500k and 2600k, seems that it would take roughly 163 mins and 133 mins respectively (if the conversion time is a linear relationship).

This helps me lean more towards the 2500k b/c of price, but is there a case where the HT would help me much? I just dont want to buy the 2500k and later find myself making the wrong decision. What apps/processes would benefit most from HT?

/me will now wait for Snowknight26 to clarify that rather cryptic statement... which he'll probably never do. ;)

"doing it wrong" could be interpreted as "you can do better and get the same or similar results, in half that time or even less..." but it can also be interpreted as "there's no way you're going to get decent encodes taking less than 4-5 hours per encode using that type of settings..."

So which is it... and where's the "Snowknight26 Guide to 'Doing x264 Encodes The Right Way'" I wonder, 'cause I'd damned sure like to find a way to 'do it right' in half the time myself. Hell, all of us would if it's possible...

Back