Is she gonna blow cap'n!?

BossNoodleKaboodle

[H]ard|Gawd
now that i got your attention, i've got an AOpen Pentium M barebones with a 270W passive PFC PSU with these specs..
AC Input 115 / 230 VAC, 50-60 Hz
DC Output +3.3V +5V +12V1 +12V2 -12V -5V +5VSB
Current (A) 17 18 8 14 0.3 0.2 2
Max Power 115W 96W 168W3 .6W 1W 10W
Total Power 275W

its apparently got dual 12v rails and i'm wondering if the one that powers the graphics card will be the 168 or the 96W one. i'm thinking of upgrading from my fanless 6600 256MB to the fanless 6800nu... think she's gonna blow cap'n?

man thats a crappy thing of them to do. the cpu is a pentium m that consumes 21W max!!! it's got 1 IDE HDD, 1GB of RAM, one DVD drive and thats pretty much it other than the GPU.

BossNoodleKaboodle said:
man thats a crappy thing of them to do. the cpu is a pentium m that consumes 21W max!!! it's got 1 IDE HDD, 1GB of RAM, one DVD drive and thats pretty much it other than the GPU.

You should be able to manage a 6800NU then since it pulls ~2.3 amps on the 12v.

does the 6800 also pull power through the AGP slot? its AGP 4x but the card is 8x so i don't remember the voltage differences between AGP specs.

The voltage specs for 4x and 8x AGP are the same, yes it does supply some power through the AGP port and up until the TI4XXX series it was enough but after the 9700 and FX5XXX came out it couldn't keep up.

BossNoodleKaboodle said:
does the 6800 also pull power through the AGP slot? its AGP 4x but the card is 8x so i don't remember the voltage differences between AGP specs.

Yes it does max draw is .3 amp 12v, .4 amp 5v, and .2 amp 3.3v through the AGP. You should be fine.

and that AGP voltage going to be coming off of the same rail that powers the CPU? i was thinking this is the case since the one dedicated to the CPU is plugged into the motherboard, correct?

I believe....and i could be wrong but I believe the AGP slot is powered off of 12v1 same as the molex's.

the CPU uses next to no power. its everything else that does in this stupid PC. if i'd known that i never would have bought this damn thing. thats so stupid of them im fuming mad at it.

Back