Is the DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D still the one to get for my set-up?

Chowder Head

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, sorry for the common question regarding the Ultra-D. Reason why I ask is because I bought an Opteron 165 processor, 1GB of RAM, eVGA 7800GT video card. Only thing I haven't really bought yet was my power supply and of course, a mobo.

I bought these items a while ago and I want to make sure the Ultra-D is the one for me. Not sure if a new board came out that's better or what.

FWIW, I plan to have a slight overclock at first, then progress farther when I get the hand of it. I want a worry free board that will give me a lot of life. Just a rock solid board with good OC'ing possibilities. Lastly, is there any good place to purchase one at or just shop around for the best deal? That is of course if I decide to buy one.

Any help is appreciated, thank you guys!

That is definetly the one to get... if I did more homework, I would have bought that one over my rig in sig. It's supposed to be the best one for overclocking and you can do the SLi mod to it... the price is excellent. the only downsides I've seen is people saying it's picky with ram and it doesn't mix with corsair...

I say go for it.

If you want SLI, then it might be worth it to get the SLI-DR or SLI-DR Expert, but otherwise, it'll serve you well.

noobtech said:
it's picky with ram and it doesn't mix with corsair...
Is that a random occurance or a known problem? I have a Corsair value select and I hate to get a mobo and won't go well with it.

Do you guys still think it's worth it, even if I am taking a chance with the Corsair memory?

Thanks!

Updated bios will fix it, and it's happened about 5 times now, probably 10000 people or more have the board.

And there is no NF4 CF edition :confused: You need an ATI chipset

If you want CF I would wait for the new chipset to come out as the present one leaves alot to be desired.Dfi boards do not like value memory it may work may not. Most overclockers do not use value memory.As for the PSU get a good one with at least 26A on 12v rail for single card or 32A for sli or CF.

Chowder Head said:
Is that a random occurance or a known problem? I have a Corsair value select and I hate to get a mobo and won't go well with it.

Do you guys still think it's worth it, even if I am taking a chance with the Corsair memory?

Thanks!

Anyone care to shed some light on this?

Thanks.

ValeX said:
Could I buy an SLI-capable DFI motherboard right now, and stick an ATI pci-e card in it? And then I can just sell it and get 2 Nvidia's when I feel like it? Because there doens't seem to be that "perfect" card for me from Nvidia right now.......my question is, will an ATI card work AT ALL in an SLI mobo?

ValeX

Yes, an ATI card will work in an SLI mobo.

LOWBOY said:
If you want CF I would wait for the new chipset to come out as the present one leaves alot to be desired.Dfi boards do not like value memory it may work may not. Most overclockers do not use value memory.As for the PSU get a good one with at least 26A on 12v rail for single card or 32A for sli or CF.

You mean like this new chipset? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136009

It has been out for a few days now :p

Chowder Head said:

Thanks!

It's a known issue. For example, my friend has 2x512MB Corsair XMS (from my old Athlon XP rig--so they are definitely not bad) and the system doesn't post with both sticks, but will with 1 stick. However, if you run memory tests, it will fail with 1 stick and he has some instability problems on top of that.

Here's a link to the 'recommended memory' thread on the DFI street forums: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24719

Crap. Even though mines a Value Select kind, it probably won't make much of a different. Corsair memory is corsair memory.

What other alternatives should I be checking out? I just checked out the three page thread regarding the most reliable boards and a lot of people were recommending ASUS, Abit, Chaintech, Tyan, MSI, etc. Can anyone recommend a board specifically?

When making a mobo recommendation, consider this. If I had either had to pick a board that will give me the max overlclock availablle, versus a board that will have a lower overclock, but will be less prone to stability issues and such, I'd take the latter. I'm not looking for the max power available, just a rock solid board I can overclock slightly if need be.

I have no experience with "fast" computers so anything that's will blow my current one out of the water, which is kinda hard not to do (Pent 3, 127 of RAM for god's sake) that would just be just peachy.

Thanks a lot guys.

Back