Is the Moto X right for me?

Raxxath

Limp Gawd
I've been wanting to upgrade my phone for a long time now. I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 on a grandfathered plan with AT&T that has unlimited data. The problem is that the signal strength is so terrible where I live, that unlimited data is pretty much useless. My phone barely functions at home and at work, so it's really not worth the (rising) cost.

Verizon is supposed to have much better coverage around here, so I've been looking at them and their prepaid plans. I really want to pay substantially less than my current $110 monthly bill. As far as I can tell, the Moto X looks like the best phone for me. I was thinking of getting the unlocked Moto X developer edition for 379.99 and the $50/month Verizon prepaid plan with 1gb of data. I'm on wifi at home and at work I only use it for webpages and reading emails, so I don't think I need a ton of data.

Am I missing anything here? Any advice or suggestions?

I don't know if I'd want a Moto device now that Motorola has switched hands to Lenovo.

I don't know if I'd want a Moto device now that Motorola has switched hands to Lenovo.

This is really random, but that empty space next to your name always looks so odd.

As for OP, honestly for what you said pretty much any smartphone works, but the price of the Moto X should be nice.

make sure the moto x you get is 3g. Verizon prepaid doesn't allow 4g phones.

You can't use 4g phones at all with Verizon prepaid? Or you just don't get 4g speeds? God damn, why does this have to be so difficult.

Edit: So you can't use 4g phones on Verizon's prepaid at all. Then what the hell is the point of there being an unlocked Verizon-only Moto X?

Last edited:
How so? Wouldn't OS updates be under the control of Lenovo now?
No.

Google still owns Motorola. About 50 government agencies need to approve the acquisition before it becomes "official." Will probably take 1-2 years. You probably won't see the first products of a "Lenovo" Motorola until 2016...just like you didn't see the products of a Google Motorola until 2013 when google purchased them in 2011

Okay, since Verizon is a total bust, I'm thinking of getting a Nexus 5 and trying the $30/month T-mobile prepaid plan. If the coverage is awful in my area, then I'll switch to AT&T prepaid with the Nexus 5 and hope for the best.

Any unforeseen problems with this strategy? Also, how easy will it be for me to keep my current number through all this?

Okay, since Verizon is a total bust, I'm thinking of getting a Nexus 5 and trying the $30/month T-mobile prepaid plan. If the coverage is awful in my area, then I'll switch to AT&T prepaid with the Nexus 5 and hope for the best.

Any unforeseen problems with this strategy? Also, how easy will it be for me to keep my current number through all this?

No problems with your plan, you should be able to keep your number.

If you have spotty ATT service, chances are HIGH that your TMO service will be spotty as well. It is weird to see your ATT service spotty, are you in a city?

Also the Moto X is still a good choice for those two services if you were still thinking of sticking with either of those two.

As for Lenovo buyout, they will be the parent company, Moto is still Moto as they are right now. Google just had a slight say in the software development of the phone and direction they wanted the device to go, I imagine it will be much the same with Lenovo. I do think that Lenovo will try to take the direction towards x86 phones though.

No.

Google still owns Motorola. About 50 government agencies need to approve the acquisition before it becomes "official." Will probably take 1-2 years. You probably won't see the first products of a "Lenovo" Motorola until 2016...just like you didn't see the products of a Google Motorola until 2013 when google purchased them in 2011

Ah. Thanks for the clarification.

Edit: So you can't use 4g phones on Verizon's prepaid at all. Then what the hell is the point of there being an unlocked Verizon-only Moto X?

They have to intice people somehow to come to their contract services. lol. It's like bait... "Yeah, we'll give you your unlocked phone but you can't use our awesome radical LTE unless you use the phone on on one of our wonderful and expensive plans!"

This is only somewhat related, but I didn't want to make a new thread. Is there a way I can test T-mobile's service on my Samsung Galaxy S2?

I would have to get AT&T to unlock my phone first, which wipes it clean, correct? Then I would go get a T-mobile sim card and a prepaid plan for one month. Then I could just swap the sim card to make it work on either carrier's network?

This is only somewhat related, but I didn't want to make a new thread. Is there a way I can test T-mobile's service on my Samsung Galaxy S2?

I would have to get AT&T to unlock my phone first, which wipes it clean, correct? Then I would go get a T-mobile sim card and a prepaid plan for one month. Then I could just swap the sim card to make it work on either carrier's network?
I just unlocked my ATT phone, had to submit a request on their website. It took about 4 days for a response. They are very tricky when it comes to their requirements too. First, the contract must be paid off, and second, you cannot unlock a phone that is currently in ATT service. You need to cancel your line or port to T mobile before they will give you the unlock code. So, you need to find a temp phone for a week that will work on T mobile. T mobile will provide a loaner phone for you.
I just went through this and it was a pain in the butt, but at least it saves me from purchasing a new phone to use on T mobile. I dont have a great data connection anymore. Im not sure if that is because its an old Atrix 2 which was not designed for T mobile networks or if T mobile just sucks where I spend a lot of time. (at work I dont have any data connection)

Or walk into the store and gave the number ported that day. I did that with my wife, had her number the same day when she restarted her iPhone.

The only question we got asked was if the contract was up.

Back