Is the Ultra X-Connect Bad or Good?

zwbuntster said:
worst case being the most or the least?

Most but that can be off if you use a ton of fans or something else I am not expecting. You still want some room to grow I would assume. So go over that number so you have headroom.

Most, but rated numbers alone aren't really a great indicator of the unit's quality or it's ability to react to variable loads or supply an accurate output voltage...so you can't just find one that has certain numbers and go with it.

zwbuntster said:
I like the Neo Power but is the True Power 480 better or worse?

If it is a TruePowerII it is basically the same unit.....just the NeoPower is modular (unused cables disconnect).

That and didn't they improve the power efficiancy a smidge or something like that? Like ya said, basically the same.

ashmedai said:
That and didn't they improve the power efficiancy a smidge or something like that? Like ya said, basically the same.

It may have been but I don't remember....and it wasn't significant enough for me to go look up
:p

What about the TRUEBLUE 480. I think its just the original TRUE Power 480. Is this worse than the Neo Power?

zwbuntster said:
What about the TRUEBLUE 480. I think its just the original TRUE Power 480. Is this worse than the Neo Power?

Yes it is from an upgrade stand point as it does not have a split 12v.

OK. Lets say I don't go with Antec, what about any other companies. I like the OCZ Modstream and some others. What others are reliable and will be sufficient as well.

zwbuntster said:
OK. Lets say I don't go with Antec, what about any other companies. I like the OCZ Modstream and some others. What others are reliable and will be sufficient as well.

The Modstream's are good specifically the 450w or the TTGI/SuperfFower Plug-N 550w(both ATX12v1.3 so no split 12v).

The Enermax 535w ATX12v2.0, the Seasonic S12 series, Fortron Bluestorm series.

Obviously you're not sure the NeoPower is a good buy. Are you trying to find something cheaper, or something with additional features and if so what?

I actually really like the Neo but I am just checking to see if that is the best, most affordable way to go. Also, if I went with mATX, what kinda PSU would you recommend for that?>

Depends on the case, microtower you can probably use a normal PSU for, down to Shuttles and such which I'm pretty sure come with their own.

But would the mATX mothboard and configuration require less power or would I still need that same thing?

Heh, Spectre, modding yourself already?

Easiest thing to deal with would be just to get a standard ATX system. Unless you specifically want a smaller one for the sake of the size.

ashmedai said:
Heh, Spectre, modding yourself already?

Yeah I usually run with 3,4,5,6 tabs open to different threads.....posted in the wrong thread...so i just deleted it.

JUST
GET
A
ZIPPY

...and be done with it. Power supplies come in all sorts of pretty packages but when it comes right down to it, nothing will beat a Zippy or a PC Power & Cooling. Zippy is designed for server use, constantly on, high load, made to last with tight tolerances. PC Power & Cooling is the same, they're just much more expensive and you get their brand and service.

If you bother with consumer junk like the Ultra X Connect you'll just end up spening out the ass for something that won't come close to the performance of a real PSU.

I'd say go NeoPower!

Having just completed a review of the NeoPower 480 I really am very impressed.

Not many people realise this but the latest version of the NeoPower 480 comes with all the cables pre-sleeved. A real plus! I had it hooked upto a passively cooled PSU tester and when idle the thing is literally silent and even under heavy load (realistically speaking 300W+ ) it remains very quiet.

You get all the advantages of the Ultra X Connect without the disadvantages! Oh and there's a 3 year warranty so you know it's gona last...

I feel like I'm repeating my review so I'll just give you the link:

http://gamezuk.com/forum/kb.php?mode=article&k=18

Seriously, have a read and you'll have to get one!

I've owned the NeoPower 480 before. Its a good PSU I never had issues with it. Now on my machine it didn't have enough output for my SLi setup and I had drops in my 12v rails and that is why I now have a 600Watt Enermax.

In normal and even some higher end machines its more than adequate.

You're saying that 480W wasn't enough?!?!

No PCs (even 6800U SLI rigs) exceed 480!!!

Are you sure that was the problem?

I'm sure he ran shy on amperage draw, not the watts. Remember, 480W is some public-relations buggery in lots of cases....

GamezUK said:
You're saying that 480W wasn't enough?!?!

No PCs (even 6800U SLI rigs) exceed 480!!!

Are you sure that was the problem?

:eek:

Back