Is there a bottleneck somewhere?

WanTeD

Limp Gawd
Hi,
I'm building a new PC and it has been a long time since I last read any hardware related stuff, so I need some help just to make sure that I don't have a component way faster or slower than the others:

CPU: Intel E6750
VGA: HD2900PRO but I might wait for the 2950PRO
MB: Asus P5KE
RAM: AT EB they advised me to get these: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=18495&vpn=OCZ2G8002GK&manufacture=OCZ Technology

Still need some advice on which PSU to get.

I'm not a hardcore OC, but I might OC the system just a bit, so I don't need a system that can handle extreme OCing, nor one that will break as soon as you touch the BIOS

AMD/ATI is hardly the industry leader in graphics right now. Although if you found a really good price on it, it *might* be worth getting.

EB = EB Games? If so, not exactly my first choice for hardware advice. But OCZ is usually pretty solid memory. I've been seeing 2x1GB kits for $50-60 lately, but maybe you can't find any that will ship to Canada better than that? It's mainly a price issue here, there shouldn't be a huge performance delta between similar kits.

Corsair makes some awesome power supplies, which you can sometimes find as low as $100ish for the HX 620W. NCIX only has it for $134 after rebate though...not terrible, but I wouldn't mind seeing better. (Okay, I think they're rebadged Seasonics or something...which are awesome in their own right. Got a nice pretty Corsair paint job, at least...)

AMD/ATI is hardly the industry leader in graphics right now. Although if you found a really good price on it, it *might* be worth getting.

EB = EB Games? If so, not exactly my first choice for hardware advice. But OCZ is usually pretty solid memory. I've been seeing 2x1GB kits for $50-60 lately, but maybe you can't find any that will ship to Canada better than that? It's mainly a price issue here, there shouldn't be a huge performance delta between similar kits.

Corsair makes some awesome power supplies, which you can sometimes find as low as $100ish for the HX 620W. NCIX only has it for $134 after rebate though...not terrible, but I wouldn't mind seeing better. (Okay, I think they're rebadged Seasonics or something...which are awesome in their own right. Got a nice pretty Corsair paint job, at least...)

EB being www.EliteBastards.com :). Btw I'm not in Canada I'm in the USA, the link of the memory I posted just happened to be a Canadian one I just wanted to show you guys which RAM I was talking about :)

I know that ATI's performance has been shitty lately, but what I care about is getting the "best bang for the buck" card. I don't usually go for the ultra high end card, that's why I wanted to get the HD2900PRO, because it's a clocked down 2900XT. But since DX10.1 cards are around the corner, I'm gonna wait and which card is the new best bang for the buck

Thanks a lot guys. I think I might go for the 550VX corsair one.

Btw any help on the monitor and HDD would be great. I'm looking for a 22" LCD monitor. I don't care much for the HDD, I just don't want it to be noisy.

The Corsair HX520 is modular, if you like that, for about the same price. Its also made by Seasonic instead of CWT.

Samsung and WD drives are quiet, so go for one of those.

I use Dell for LCDs usually. They tend to be cheap and affordable, and I know I'm getting a good quality screen. Why 22" specifically?

I sort of stopped caring too strongly about hard drive brands since everyone got their hands on FDB tech. The main difference anymore tends to be warranty length (it seemed like everyone offered 5yr warranties for a bit there, but now it's back to only being available on some drives). 500GB drives were a nice sweet spot, but 750GB drives are getting close.

If you're concerned about noise, case choice can have a strong impact.

I use Dell for LCDs usually. They tend to be cheap and affordable, and I know I'm getting a good quality screen. Why 22" specifically?

I sort of stopped caring too strongly about hard drive brands since everyone got their hands on FDB tech. The main difference anymore tends to be warranty length (it seemed like everyone offered 5yr warranties for a bit there, but now it's back to only being available on some drives). 500GB drives were a nice sweet spot, but 750GB drives are getting close.

If you're concerned about noise, case choice can have a strong impact.

I don't want the monitor to be specifically 22", but less then 22" is small for me, and more than that it will cost more than I can afford I guess :)

What can you afford, approximately? I haven't gone shopping for a display lately, but I believe 22" is $200-300ish and 24" is $400-500ish. $800-1000 gets you into repurposed HDTV territory (like Westy 37"...which is why I haven't really done much display shopping lately...;))

Looking at US sites (Newegg), the pricing on the HD2900PRO seems damn close to the pricing on an 8800 GTS 640...which I've been told will trash it. Hopefully AMD/ATI will have something nicer for us in another year, this round just came awful close after the acquisition...at least, that's the excuse I'm making for them.

Looking at US sites (Newegg), the pricing on the HD2900PRO seems damn close to the pricing on an 8800 GTS 640...which I've been told will trash it.

$365 - 8800GTS 640MB ($30 MIR, $345AR)
$280 - 8800GTS 320MB ($20 MIR, $260AR)
$280 - HD2900Pro 512MB

"damn close" is all subjective. You basically get what you pay for with these cards, IMO.

BTW, theres a $350 24" at Costco right now... but it'll require a much beefier vidcard for gaming at native res, lol.

Back