Is there a game where...

Intel_Hydralisk

Supreme [H]ardness
You can drive in a vehicle (drive and vehicle being very liberal descriptions here) and go around shooting other drivers (players and/or NPC's) in a arena like setting.

An example that comes to mind is Extreme-G 2 I believe... from the old N64 days. It had a multiplayer mode where you could do this. Is there a more recent game that's like that?

Unreal Tournament (2004 at least) has something kind of like that?

Ahh all these games are so old... did this idea / concept just go down the drain as a 'non money maker' thing? :(

Vigilante 8 :p

My god I wasted so much of my young life on that and 2nd offense....

If you want a really old school PC game go with Death Rally. They just re-released it as freeware.

The only thing recently I know about would be Death Track: Ressurection (on steam for $20), although I didn't really care for it and does not beat Twisted Metal by a long shot.

If you buy a PS2 you could play:
Twisted Metal: Black
Twisted Metal: Head-on (also on PSP)
X-treme G III
XGRA
Road Kill
Jak X: Combat Racing

Always have to recommend Rogue Trip Vacation 2012, for the PS1. From the Creator of Twisted Metal one and II.

EDIT: just found a demo of Dooms Rail Demo which says its similar to TM series. Dunno as I have not tried it yet.

Last edited:
If you don't mind multiplayer-only, D.I.P.R.I.P. Warm Up is awesome.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/17530/

Oh sweet jesus! That looks perfect... downloading now :D

EDIT: Fired it up and it looks great... except for the fact that literally no one plays this and there's no bots. It's made by the zombie driver guys and a quick browse of the forums say this project doesn't end here... and that they have plans for it in the future. Sigh, such potential.

Last edited:
If you don't mind multiplayer-only, D.I.P.R.I.P. Warm Up is awesome.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/17530/

Here is a stupid question. It says requires HL2 or a list of qualifying games. Now it doesn't say it needs to be installed though! I own Orange Box but don't have any of the HL2's installed ATM. Will the game still work if I just own them and have not installed them?

This looks cool, next free day is probably Thursday to try this out. Maybe someone will be online :)

Wikipedia has a whole list of "vehicular combat" games. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicular_combat

I think the reason there aren't many recent games like Twisted Metal and such is because the kart racer genre took over. I don't think it's so much of a "non money maker" thing, as kart racers with combat/battle modes are just the current breadwinners.

I think the newest of this type of game would be the "Full Auto" series.

Interestingly, the first is a 360 exclusive and the second is a PS3 exclusive. Well, there's a PSP version, too.

Here is a stupid question. It says requires HL2 or a list of qualifying games. Now it doesn't say it needs to be installed though! I own Orange Box but don't have any of the HL2's installed ATM. Will the game still work if I just own them and have not installed them?

This looks cool, next free day is probably Thursday to try this out. Maybe someone will be online :)
It's a Source mod, so when you download the game it will also download any of the necessary Source engine components required to run the game.

You have to install Source SDK Base - Orange Box. It's in your 'Tools' tab in Steam.

Yeah Twisted Metal is the closest thing I can think of to arena based play with them mechanics, very old now though!

Back