Is there a gaming mice that is not garbage ?

Atohmdiy

n00b
No troll in this question. I know manufacturer are taking us for turkeys and i don't even talk of the planned obsolescence.

But i am seriously asking myself if it's possible to find a high end gaming mice that can last at least 6 month.

Several years a go i bought a mx 518 that died one month before the end of the warranty, i got a new one though rma and this one last something like ten years.

So after that i bought a razer mamba tournament edition. After six month the scroll wheel and middle button wasn't working anymore, same for the (pure garbage) sensor. I made my opinion about razer : never again.

Then i bought a Roccat Kone. This one worked for a little less than a year, then the right click start to "work" randomly. Still usable but very annoying.

Then i bought a logitech G502 Hero. After all my mx518 last for years, right ? I just RMA this shit after six month, the scroll wheel died.

Right now i'm using the Kone, waiting for a new G502 or a refund. But damn this right click...

So the question remain, beyond the fancy gaming function, RGB lighting and all that crap. Is there somewhere a quality product build to last ?

I've been using a Logitech Pro X Superlight for around 3 years now and it still works like new. Not only has it lasted forever, but it's easily the best gaming mouse I've ever used. I've been waiting for it to die so I can get the new version, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

It might depend on how rough you are with your mice. I've never met a mouse I haven't destroyed. Playing comp shooters I am extremely rough and beat the hell out of my mouse so I simply don't expect any of them to last a long time. Thankfully mice are the cheapest part of the rig.

As a former G9x fanatic I use the Cooler Master MM711. Cheap, lightweight, good hardware. I've been using it for ~3 years and it works like new. I've personally tried over 30 mice to find that perfect fit once Logitech discontinued the G9x and I can't complain about this one. There's a bunch of different colors available too.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
No troll in this question. I know manufacturer are taking us for turkeys and i don't even talk of the planned obsolescence.

But i am seriously asking myself if it's possible to find a high end gaming mice that can last at least 6 month.

Several years a go i bought a mx 518 that died one month before the end of the warranty, i got a new one though rma and this one last something like ten years.

So after that i bought a razer mamba tournament edition. After six month the scroll wheel and middle button wasn't working anymore, same for the (pure garbage) sensor. I made my opinion about razer : never again.

Then i bought a Roccat Kone. This one worked for a little less than a year, then the right click start to "work" randomly. Still usable but very annoying.

Then i bought a logitech G502 Hero. After all my mx518 last for years, right ? I just RMA this shit after six month, the scroll wheel died.

Right now i'm using the Kone, waiting for a new G502 or a refund. But damn this right click...

So the question remain, beyond the fancy gaming function, RGB lighting and all that crap. Is there somewhere a quality product build to last ?

Almost all mice use nearly identical switches for left and right click which is usually what ends up breaking, especially if you're hard on them.

There are some mice that use optical switches. I would look into that. I use a Logitech G502X that has them.

No mouse is going to last forever but it does seem like switches have gotten worse, especially Logitech though I haven't tried their mice with optical switches. The funny thing is that most mice are using the newer Omron switches that are rated for more clicks but don't seem to actually last as long as the older ones rated for less than half as many clicks.

I recently picked up an Asus Spatha X, mainly for the larger size and extra buttons it has but one feature it has that I also liked is that the switches for the two main buttons can be easily replaced without soldering. It even comes with a spare set that has a different click pressure rating but can use pretty much any 3 pin switch(the newer mice support 5 pin optical as well). I haven't had it long enough to know how well they hold up in general though and being able to replace the 2 main switches doesn't help if something else goes.

Logitech has been generally good, though I have had to replace switches on them because they developed a double-click issue. I've had the G700 (x2), G602 and G604. I liked the G700 best feel-wise, but those both had switch problems after a fair amount of use, and the battery life was horrendous.

Now I have a Glorious Model I2 Wireless because I got it for like $40 on a pricing error. Mixed reviews but so far it's been a good mouse. It's really light, though, I had to move away from using my Ratpadz for it because it was sliding all over the place. I've also heard that battery life isn't great, but it's been okay for me so far, and it comes with a USB-C cable that is extremely loose so you can have it wired and you'd never notice the cable.

I was considering getting G502 X Plus, but too pricy.

I liked the G700 also for its ergonomics. I ended up getting one of those kits on Ebay that allowed for 5 minute swaps of the switches if needed. Not too long after that I ended up discarding it in favor of the SteelSeries Rival 650- the laser sensor was just way too picky about what surfaces it liked to be on. Generally been happy with the 650 so far though I rarely use it in wireless mode. 600 most likely would have been good enough for me but the 650 was cheaper on Amazon at the time.

Also have a MX Master 3S for work and portable gaming computer- not happy with that, lots of mouse lagging and skipping around. I recently found out that having my phone in the path between the mouse and sensor will cause interference so that issue is solved but still not great- the new Logitech Bolt communication method is way too sensitive to interference.

I have two different mice I am using here... both of them are discontinued models and both have pros and cons. I have these two mice for one very specific reason they are true ambi designs and as a left handed person who switches to left hand mouse sometimes... I only wish to acquire true ambi mice which has become increasingly difficult over the years... ergo right handed designs can go straight to hell? (but I digress).

1. Is my Steelseries Sensei Ten, this is the 3rd Sensei mouse I have owned over at least the last 11yrs~ (I can't remember when I got the 1st one.. exactly.. but no later than 2013. I have owned the MLG, 310 and Sensei Ten now. All three of these mouse still function perfectly and the cosmetics on the 310 and ten are good, the painted topshell on the MLG did flake off and isn't ideal but the mouse still works fine.

The main down side is the software is quite crap now in that Steelseries GG is a massive pile of garbage and makes me angry. I wish the engine was available without the obnoxious software suite (but logitech and some others aren't any better with this BS.) The hardware has been pretty solid however and I can't complain much about that.

2. I have also a Lenovo Legion M600 (which amusingly / angeringly? has been replaced with the non ambi but useless ergo M600S which can continue to kiss my ass). This mouse has dubious build quality and at one point the RF module wouldn't communicate with the mouse and I eventually had to remove it, pair it with my laptop and then try to pair it again with my desktop and then for some stupid reason it started working w/ my PC again... and has continued to do so for several months now. When I first got it the scroll wheel squeaked which was quite infuriating, but that apparently worked itself out as after using it for a few weeks it stopped squeaking?

The main upside of the Legion M600 is the software is a refreshing blast from the past in that it is just the driver software without some game launching / advertising ...etc pile of crap software suite.

It is my belief that for some reason in the last 15yrs keyboards have gotten much better and mice have gotten basically worse... or at least worse for myself as a left hander wanting true ambi designs.

Here is my Sensei Ten after several years of daily use..
1713555473589.jpeg

It seems that most will last about 2 years of heavy gaming before the buttons start double clicking or the scroll wheel stops working. I am right at 2 years on my G502 lightspeed and thus far no problems but if it dies I will just get another one as the ergonomics work well with my right hand.

Back