Is there a "gun" game input for the PC?

JediFonger

2[H]4U
just bought Deer Hunter (yes i'm the biggest redneck there is ;). i luved it when i play in the arcades, now i want to play it @home.

@the arcades there is a shotgun. is there a gun interface for the PC? i'm surprised i can't find it, everything interesting in terms of game input is happening on the console. this alone might sway me towards consoles :eek:

I thought I read somewhere, that those guns don't work on LCDs? I could be wrong.

but no, I've personally never seen one for a computer.

Yes, there is a gun input. I forgot what it is called, but if you cruise the Hot Deals section of the forum you should be able to find it. I think it's about $200 u.s. Unfortunately they only make 9mm pistol versions.

Hope that helps.

those traditional light guns don't work on LCD

newer ones might

or you can look at the Novint Falcon ... it has realistic feedback and is way different from a mouse... though its $100+

force feedback w/gun is kind of stupid, how are you supposed to point that thing@the screen? i wanta duck-hunt like experience =P. great premise... but not what i'm looking for =(.

looks like the market doesn't cater to aracade like games on the PC ='(. no wonder y it's "failing" =P.

duck hunt and similar type lightguns wont work with LCDs, the technology doesn't work

Zalman has that "FPS Gun" thing, which isn't too expensive

but lightguns can't work with an LCD, with a CRT and proper software its no problem though, and that isn't an impossible setup to build, might require buying some salvage/used hardware from an arcade or similar, might be worth it if you're that into duck hunt/area 51/deer hunter/etc

how do people that build mime arcades handle the light gun? They build them from computers, so even if they use a CRT... there is still a gun solution, correct? Maybe you need a PCB to convert from 'nintendo' to USB.

But the issue of making it work within the bounds of the computer game could come in to play. Will you still need the mouse/ keyboard to move the character, make selections and so forth? This could become cumbersome, even if you can get the light gun to work inside the game.

I see your point about how there is not one, but that is because of the conventional use of a computer. A user sitting in front of a monitor about chest high (when sitting), about 5 ft in front of them, at a desk with a keyboard and mouse. It would be hard to use a point a shoot device in that atmosphere.

Consols have them because TVs are bigger, people sit further away, and are more willing to stand in a living room then at a computer desk.

yeah, but that's old sk00l thinking. every since 1999 i've hooked up my "HTPC" to my HDTV. instead of watching stuff, now i want to game on it using similar devices like wii, but such doesn't exist. one should write drivers for wii controller and have adapters that hook those things up straight up =P

You're right.

The 360's wired and wireless controllers work on a PC as well. With natal you wont even need a gun connected to the consol, just hold up a pretend one. (I dont not actually know this as a face, just said as a half truth/ joke.)

Back