Is there a list of which apps are 64 bit in Vista x64?

InCogneato

[H]ard|Gawd
I know Vista x64 carries both 32bit and 64bit apps but I really love supporting and using 64 bit apps. So, does anyone know or have a list of all the apps and components that are 64 bit? Stuff like the Defragger or Spyware remover, because they do make 64 bit versions of these apps and I rather use them than the Windows ones if they aren't 64 bit.

Thanks!

The ones I know of:
Internet Explorer
Windows Defender
Media Player (didn't know about this one myself- you have to browse to the actual EXE to get to it!)

The ones I know of:
Internet Explorer
Windows Defender
Media Player (didn't know about this one myself- you have to browse to the actual EXE to get to it!)

Hey thanks. Yes all the ones in Program Files are 64 bit (which includes WMP11, Mail, IE, etc) but they are not set to default so you have to manually launch them.

I wonder about stuff like the defragger, sound recorder, and all the other random apps that arent readily discernable.

Thanks for confirming about WIndows Defender though, didn't notice it was ine Program Files!

"Carries?" What context are you using that in? It sounds like you think Vista x64 comes with 32-bit apps. I'd like to know which apps you think are 32-bit.

It does. All the ones in Program Files x86 are 32 bit, which includes IE, WMP, and more. Unless you know something I don't know?

Then you already know the answer. Good work! The stuff in x86 is in fact 32-bit.
No I don't because not every app is in that folder or at least not easily locatable. But thanks for the tip about the task manager. That really seems to work! Will this always work for identifying 32 bit processes? Or is there a chance that a 32 bit app might sneak away with not having the *32 next to it?

No I don't because not every app is in that folder or at least not easily locatable. But thanks for the tip about the task manager. That really seems to work! Will this always work for identifying 32 bit processes? Or is there a chance that a 32 bit app might sneak away with not having the *32 next to it?
Why would an app "sneak away" reporting it's a different file than it says it is? Especially one that comes with Windows?

windows includes both 32 and 64 bit versions of a number of common programs. some plugins and such wont work with 64 bit versions. (cough fuck you adobe) you can see a number of 64 bit programs in the program files directory without the x86. also some programs (crysis) install both the 32 and 64 versions in the program files x86 directory.

Windows Movie Maker
Windows Media Encoder (free, you have to download, but the 64 version rocks)

Back