Is There A Noticable Speed Difference With A SATA Raptor???

What do you use your computer for?

If your the standard user... then I doubt you'd notice a difference...

standard or not i think the difference is highly noticable

yes you will.

I have to nearly identical A64 3200+ boxes. one has a 73 gig Raptor and the other a Maxtor 80 gig with 8mb cache.

The one with the Raptor is noticable faster.

Well shoot, 10,000 RPMs or 7200? Nearly three thousand more revolutions per minute. That's the difference right there. You better believe it's noticeable.

First thing i noticed was how unbelievably fast it installed windows xp. Took about 20 mins, as opposed to 40 or 50 on other 7200s i've installed on. Blew me away. And i bet if you were using something that could use RAID 0 to it's advantage, you'd notice a big difference too.

I was gonna do a RAID 0 for my computer that i'm slowly aquiring parts for, but then i heard for gaming it doesn't really make a difference for level load times because unpacking textures and everything is more CPU intensive than hard drive intensive.

beanman101283 said:
First thing i noticed was how unbelievably fast it installed windows xp. Took about 20 mins, as opposed to 40 or 50 on other 7200s i've installed on. Blew me away. And i bet if you were using something that could use RAID 0 to it's advantage, you'd notice a big difference too.

I was gonna do a RAID 0 for my computer that i'm slowly aquiring parts for, but then i heard for gaming it doesn't really make a difference for level load times because unpacking textures and everything is more CPU intensive than hard drive intensive.

Yes, you do.

My WinXP Installs take *9* minutes..
but then again, I'm also running 2 gb of ram, so they rudimentary "xcopy32 *.* c:\Wininst.000" that the dos installer does goes pretty damn fast

MaMMa said:

He hit the nail on the head.

Murali said:
What do you use your computer for?

If your the standard user... then I doubt you'd notice a difference...

No matter what you use your computer for you will notice a difference.
Gaming- faster load times
Ripping/archiving - You'll notice significantly quicker extracting times for zip/rar archives
Movie editing - Should be obvious here
Normal user - Quicker boot times

Get the 74GB one, or get two 36GB ones and mirror them though. Because with todays games taking up 3+GB each, the space goes really quick.

I have one 36Gb in my main machine. It is ungodly fast.

S1nF1xx said:
He hit the nail on the head.

No matter what you use your computer for you will notice a difference.
Gaming- faster load times
Ripping/archiving - You'll notice significantly quicker extracting times for zip/rar archives
Movie editing - Should be obvious here
Normal user - Quicker boot times

Get the 74GB one, or get two 36GB ones and mirror them though. Because with todays games taking up 3+GB each, the space goes really quick.

I have one 36Gb in my main machine. It is ungodly fast.

anyway, yea they are fast. I also remmeber reading that one 74 gb raptor is faster then then single 36

ungodly fast eh. I'd like to see you make the same statement about the raptors about 5 years from now. I bet we'd all say they are slow as hell. HAHA :D

Of course you will.. my laptop takes about 40 minutes to install Windows XP and my system did it in 8 minutes or under. My specs are in my sig.

Doesn't ariel density also play a role in this though? A 7200 RPM drive with platters that hold 150GB should be faster than a single(or are there 2 36GB platters?) 10000 RPM 74GB platter. I know the seek time will be higher on the 7200 RPM drive, but the transfer rate should be higher.

As the proud owner of two, I am very happy with mine. They were upgrades from 8 MB WD drives in the same machines. I had them in RAID0 for a little while, but that turned out to be absolutely useless, so I have them in 2 separate machines now.

sandmanx said:
Doesn't ariel density also play a role in this though? A 7200 RPM drive with platters that hold 150GB should be faster than a single(or are there 2 36GB platters?) 10000 RPM 74GB platter. I know the seek time will be higher on the 7200 RPM drive, but the transfer rate should be higher.

According to storagereview's tests, no 7200RPM drive beat the Raptor (36GB platters) on transfer tests. When transferring from the outer side of the platter, the best 7200RPM drives (100GB platters) could approach the Raptor but from the inner side, the Raptor has clear major advantage.
Even then, it only applies if you transfer a few continues chunk of storage. In most real uses where transfers are likely smaller chunks from many places on the disk, the Raptor is significantly faster than any 7200RPM drive.

darkamage said:
According to storagereview's tests, no 7200RPM drive beat the Raptor (36GB platters) on transfer tests. When transferring from the outer side of the platter, the best 7200RPM drives (100GB platters) could approach the Raptor but from the inner side, the Raptor has clear major advantage.
Even then, it only applies if you transfer a few continues chunk of storage. In most real uses where transfers are likely smaller chunks from many places on the disk, the Raptor is significantly faster than any 7200RPM drive.

Makes sense. I've always wondered why people pay twice the price for half the storage to go from 10K to 15K on the scsi side.

As a point of fact, according to WD's website, the 74 GB Raptor has 2 platters. Carry on!

sandmanx said:
Makes sense. I've always wondered why people pay twice the price for half the storage to go from 10K to 15K on the scsi side.

Because it's fast as hell, thoroughly spanking the Raptor that everyone holds in revery. :D

< Proud 15k.3 Cheetah owner

sandmanx said:

Cause SCSI drives are made better and have longer warranties, not to mention they're friggin insanely fast. They've got alot more features than they're sata counterparts which is what sets them apart, not just the RPM. More stable, better data integrity and a list of features which makes them good for server use and RAID'ing is why they cost more. Its kinda funny that SCSI was invented so long ago but it still hasnt been made redundant by a newer tech.

More on topic: If your going to get one get a 74gig one. The newer models (i think are coming out soon or are already out) have support for a few new features which improve speed. The 36's are nice but are just too small IMO (im on 2 of them so i know what its like).

Back