Is there a perfect keyboard? Quiet mechanical, no numeric pad, full size keys, black?

silent-circuit

[H]F Junkie
Help me find this mythical creature! (And, if at all possible, keep the cost under $100).

My Razer Tarantula is just too big for what currently passes for my "Desk" and has a bunch of features I never, ever use. I've literally never programmed a single one of the shortcut keys, and I've had the thing a little less than a year. It's time to replace it.

I need to keep full size keys -- there is a reason I bought my 12" HP over a 9" or 10" netbook that'd do everything I do computation-wise with it for 1/3rd the cost. I'd like this keyboard to be very compact, as in no unnecessary blank spaces beyond those to preserve layout and no huge bezel, but I am not willing to sacrifice key size to get there. Really, if you took a standard full keyboard like the Razer Lycosa and cut the numeric pad and wrist-rest off then halved the size of the bezel, that'd be my ideal layout. I realize that may not be possible, of course.

I also feel the Tarantula is a bit "mushy" for lack of a better word, though please don't confuse this with wanting more force necessary to push keys; I don't. I would like to switch to mechanical key switches on my next board, however, partly in hopes of reducing stress on my hands (I type a lot, that's not going to change any time soon) and partly to increase the keyboard's longevity.

That said, I also really, really don't want the thing to be loud. At all. Clicky-clicky noises are bad, and I am afraid this could prove a problem. Anything louder than your standard membrane or laptop type keyboard will drive me nuts, and fast. If anything I would like it to be quieter than most. From what I understand the nearest switch to what I would want is the Cherry "Black" type, so I've used that as a place to start.

I've found a few potential options in the $50-100 range, but they are all either too big, too small (smaller keys, very strange layout), or in some other way severely flawed.

So, does the collective consciousness of the mighty [H] know my mind here? Any suggestions? If you recommend a given model, please include how / where to purchase it, as I've found several Japanese manufactured boards I really like the look of that I either can't find for sale, or that importers want $200+ for...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I was going to suggest the IBM 31P9490 Keyboard for Thinkpad (Black), but I think you're looking for something more towards the Adesso Mini Black USB Keyboard ( ACK-595UB ). Just google for mini keyboard, and you should get a bunch of options. I have no experience with these, so I can't offer much help, sorry.

Sadly the integrated touchpad kills the first one entirely, and I don't think either have mechanical switches, which is something I'm pretty much dead set on now.

I've tried 'mini' 'compact' 'slim' and similar, but most of them have smaller than standard size keys, which is another total deal-breaker, and the greater bulk don't have mechanical switches; those that do seem to have the "loud" type.

I briefly considered paying up for the Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2, but the layout is horrible (I like ctrl right where it is, and would like physical arrow and home/end/pg up/pg dn keys, thanks) and the price tag at well over $225 is outright insane. The newer Lite 2 has the same horrible layout, drops the mechanical switches, and still cost ~$80 shipped. Forget that.

I've all but given up on finding what I'm looking for via my own personal searching, and am hoping another [H]'r will just "know," unlikely as that may be.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Only keyboards I know of that remotely meet your criteria are the Deck Ice and the DAS Keyboard Professional. The Deck keyboard can be had without the number pad and the DAS Keyboard can't. Both are really the only two keyboards made today that I know have mechanical key switches. The Deck is going to be less "clicky" than the DAS keyboard is. The DAS keyboard is more like the IBM Model M keyboards in terms of feel. Deck keyboards feel pretty much the same but without the "click" at the bottom of the key press. Both key types are easy to push down, but neither is quiet. Quiet and mechanical don't really go together.

Ahh, yes, sorry, the IBM is scissor switch, IIRC, but the Adesso is membrane, I believe. Forgot that requirement -- I mainly focused my search on the small bezel, no numpad stuff.

I may have to drop the mechanical key switches requirement, because after watching a couple of YouTube videos of the Deck it is way, way too loud for me. I'd like to avoid outright membrane types like the Tarantula and Lycosa still, but scissor style switches are not that bad. I like the keyboard on my HP Compaq 2510P, though the layout could be a little better. If I could find something like that for a reasonable price (under $50, not willing to pay a ton for non-mechanical switches) it'd be good.

I like my enermax aurora but it may not be for everyone. For me its very easy to type fast and is very responsive. Its fairly quiet as well. I bought mine for 57 shipped about a year ago. Its 47 after 20MIR on newegg.

I like my enermax aurora but it may not be for everyone. For me its very easy to type fast and is very responsive. Its fairly quiet as well. I bought mine for 57 shipped about a year ago. Its 47 after 20MIR on newegg.

I've had a couple of them. I hate laptop style keys, but otherwise those are pretty good keyboards.

How about HP Elite keyboard. Simple but look nice. I hate keyboard with small "delete" key.

I like the Deck Ice Legend. No better keyboard on the market as far as I am concerned.

Hehe... my perfect keyboard is the MS Natural Pro (ps2 w/ 2port hub).

I just think you need a bigger desk. :p

How about HP Elite keyboard. Simple but look nice. I hate keyboard with small "delete" key.

I actually really like these at least the look of them, but would much prefer a wired version; haven't found one yet. I take it the Elite is wireless only?

Sounds like you need to go the [H]ard route and find a keyboard that you like that has a numeric keypad and actually cut off the pad and do any necessary re-wiring to get it to work afterwards. Keyboards aren't that complicated internally, most keyboards have two membranes under the keys. You could actually separate (paper or plastic inbetween the two layers) and fold under the membranes for the numeric keypad. The issue is the size of the PCB holding the chip(s) for the keyboard encoder, and re-wiring the LEDs for the 'locks.

If you don't want to go that route, I'm fond of the IBM keyboard linked, I have one now. You can turn off the trackpad by hitting Fn-F5, if you're just worried about accidentally bumping the pad moving the cursor. The scissor style switches feel pretty good, IMO. When I got mine a few weeks ago there was a seller on eBay selling used PS/2 versions for $40 shipped. Mine came perfectly functional, but had a couple of cosmetic blemishes. There was another selling new French Canadian USB versions for $30 shipped.

Back