Is there a standalone Crysis benchmark?

Just so ya know, the built in benchmarks will show noticeably higher frame rates then using the same settings in-game.

I'll take a note of that. I need something to test my 8800GT overclocks. At least I'll know how much faster I'll run when overclocked. Relatively speaking since the demo runs faster.

I swear by this tool.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1791

allows you to set resolutions, customized quality settings, amount of loops, time of day the demo runs at etc. Give it a shot, I am sure you will be surprised just how great it is for comparing how much performance is affected by altering certain settings before each run.

I swear by this tool.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1791

allows you to set resolutions, customized quality settings, amount of loops, time of day the demo runs at etc. Give it a shot, I am sure you will be surprised just how great it is for comparing how much performance is affected by altering certain settings before each run.

Yup - this is my new benchie of choice. Far more useful than some ghey useless number like 3DMark0X has. Nice front-end GUI on it too.

Yup - this is my new benchie of choice. Far more useful than some ghey useless number like 3DMark0X has. Nice front-end GUI on it too.

Its not any better than 3dmark... Its still just a "video" benchmark. Nothing tops good old realtime gaming benches which neither the crysis or 3dmark benches are.

Just so ya know, the built in benchmarks will show noticeably higher frame rates then using the same settings in-game.
I beg to differ. most people would shit if they saw what fps they are getting in GPU benchmark. there was a guy with a 7900gs that was getting mainly in the upper 20s at 1280x1024 on medium settings and got 15 fps in the benchmark. I told him he would not even get 20 fps but he didnt believe till he ran the benchmark. at 1280x1024 with an 8800gt I could easily play on all high settings with framerates mostly in the upper 30s but the benchmark only showed 29.6 fps.

just look at how low the benchmarks are for very high settings. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gainward-bliss-8800gt_9.html#sect1

I beg to differ. most people would shit if they saw what fps they are getting in GPU benchmark. there was a guy with a 7900gs that was getting mainly in the upper 20s at 1280x1024 on medium settings and got 15 fps in the benchmark. I told him he would not even get 20 fps but he didnt believe till he ran the benchmark. at 1280x1024 with an 8800gt I could easily play on all high settings with framerates mostly in the upper 30s but the benchmark only showed 29.6 fps.

just look at how low the benchmarks are for very high settings. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gainward-bliss-8800gt_9.html#sect1

I dont know what spots your playing in game to get better performance than the bench but so far i have beat crysis 4 times and can say the bench will show much better performance than you will get in game.

Either your looking at the ground the whole time you play or you have never played the second half of the game. Once it gos from tropical to snowy expect a substantial drop in performance.

I dont know what spots your playing in game to get better performance than the bench but so far i have beat crysis 4 times and can say the bench will show much better performance than you will get in game.

Either your looking at the ground the whole time you play or you have never played the second half of the game. Once it gos from tropical to snowy expect a substantial drop in performance.
yes after the Core level it tanks for everybody. other than that yes it does does get better fps than the benchmarks show so you are are clearly mistaken.

if the game was as bad as the benchmark then people with 6800 or even 7900gs cards wouldnt even be playing the game at all. look at the gpu benchmarks here showing 9 fps for the 6800 at 800x600 and medium quality.http://www.gamespot.com/features/6182806/p-5.html

timeparadoxrb2.jpg

A time paradox!!!!!!!

Sorry forgot to turn off time machine.

I can't get the benchmark tool to run. It keeps saying 'the applications failed to initialize properly.'

I ran manually with the crysis demo and got 30fps @ 1680x1050 with everything on high, no AA. With my BFG 8800GT at stock settings.

AliP, that's awesome! Back to the Future-stlye. :cool:

As for the bench, I would rather just use the demo's rather than buy the game (if one is using it only for that reason).

Ah, pfunkman and cannondale06 fighting it out. Classic. :D

But I really have to agree with pfunkman on this one. It's true that the bench will show better performance than the actual gameplay will (perhaps more CPU usage due to AI?).

at 1280x1024 with an 8800gt I could easily play on all high settings with framerates mostly in the upper 30s but the benchmark only showed 29.6 fps.

cannondale06, I apologize for my rude comments. I PM'ed you. Again, sorry man.

it proves his point that he gets higher fps than the benchmark? lol?

yes after the Core level it tanks for everybody. other than that yes it does does get better fps than the benchmarks show so you are are clearly mistaken.

if the game was as bad as the benchmark then people with 6800 or even 7900gs cards wouldnt even be playing the game at all. look at the gpu benchmarks here showing 9 fps for the 6800 at 800x600 and medium quality.http://www.gamespot.com/features/6182806/p-5.html

9 FPS on medium at 800x600 is better than it would perform in game considering the card can barely run it at 800x600 on low.

Also im pretty sure that test was run on the demo wich performs pretty poorly compared to the retail version.

Look around these forums the consensus has been the same throughout all of the crysis discussion and thats the bench runs better than the actual game. You are the first person i have ever seen say different. I even have it on my machine and can tell you without a doubt with my system i get more FPS than i do in game.

A time paradox!!!!!!!

The downside to tabbed browsing.

Red Tampon said:
Ah, pfunkman and cannondale06 fighting it out. Classic.

Nobodys fighting just disagreeing with eachother and its completely civil.

9 FPS on medium at 800x600 is better than it would perform in game considering the card can barely run it at 800x600 on low.

Also im pretty sure that test was run on the demo wich performs pretty poorly compared to the retail version.

Look around these forums the consensus has been the same throughout all of the crysis discussion and thats the bench runs better than the actual game. You are the first person i have ever seen say different. I even have it on my machine and can tell you without a doubt with my system i get more FPS than i do in game.
thats just the thing there are people playing the game with a 6800 and it is playable. if the game actually ran at 9fps then it wouldnt be playable at all. I ran a couple fraps benchmarks at various parts of the game and got any where from 3-10 fps higher than the gpu benchmark.

Nobodys fighting just disagreeing with eachother and its completely civil.
it proves his point that he gets higher fps than the benchmark? lol?
I reported him. He is going into every thread that I am in just to start trouble with me.

Sorry forgot to turn off time machine.

I can't get the benchmark tool to run. It keeps saying 'the applications failed to initialize properly.'

I ran manually with the crysis demo and got 30fps @ 1680x1050 with everything on high, no AA. With my BFG 8800GT at stock settings.

i cant get the benchmark tool to run either. i set it up, and start it, then it just loads up crysis like i was playing the game and runs to where you land in the water. it show some data on the upper right of the screen, but no results anywhere.

How does tabbed browsing cause that time error on the posts?

When you have multiple tabs open it may take some time to get to one and by then there could be replies you dont see since the page hajust been sitting open.

thats just the thing there are people playing the game with a 6800 and it is playable. if the game actually ran at 9fps then it wouldnt be playable at all. I ran a couple fraps benchmarks at various parts of the game and got any where from 3-10 fps higher than the gpu benchmark..

I know its playable with a 6800 but not on medium. I dont know why that site chose to bench it on medium. Also i think that site may have been using the demo to bench which performs slower than the retail version.

My question is when you say the bench runs slower than the game are you reffering to the demo bench or retail?

Originally Posted by Red Tampon

So you do have a sense of humor. :D

When I ran the Crysis benchmarks (demo/retail) I didn't notice a big difference between the two, even when running different video cards (on both). My friend said he had notice a difference between the two, but then again when he ran the demo, he was using a 6800GT and then he ran an 8800GTS on the retail! :eek:

I know its playable with a 6800 but not on medium. I dont know why that site chose to bench it on medium. Also i think that site may have been using the demo to bench which performs slower than the retail version.

My question is when you say the bench runs slower than the game are you reffering to the demo bench or retail?
they are exactly the same. the benchmark and also the first part of the game are no different than what is the demo. if you know differently then show me evidence of it because I have never even heard that before.

blah blah blah contradictory post

You? Again? Ever notice you're the only one who disagrees?

EDIT: Multiple levels (i have retail) including the first level I got higher performance in the benchmark than in actual gameplay. Many other people have reported the same results.

You? Again? Ever notice you're the only one who disagrees?

EDIT: Multiple levels (i have retail) including the first level I got higher performance in the benchmark than in actual gameplay. Many other people have reported the same results.
really? every time I post a link to benchmarks every person says their framerates are much higher than that. now this is the FIRST thread that I have ever seen where some people are saying the opposite. if it was my experience then I would say so but its not. I get much better framerates in most of the game then I do in the benchmark.

In my experience the benchmark results are usually much lower than my actual in-game framerate.

The benchmark tells me I'm averaging 17.3 FPS, when I actually get a pretty solid 25 FPS while playing through that level (and for the rest of the game).

It might have something to do with the GPU series. In Canondale's example it was a guy with a 7900GS, and I have a Go 7950 GTX (equivalent to a desktop 7950 GT). You folks with 8800's seem to be reporting the opposite of our results. Maybe the 7-series cards don't render distance objects as efficiently (since the benchmark camera is high in the air, it's rendering stuff that's usually hidden behind trees or buildings) and that's affecting the results.

In any case - I think it's safe to say that the benchmark isn't a good indicator of performance (whether it over or under-estimates performance). In-game FPS monitoring is where it's at.

I just went back and played around with my 8600gt(650/1700). In the benchmark I got 31.02 on all medium at 1024x768. This time I ran some benchmarks while lot of stuff was going on and yes the framerate was lower during intense scenes. The lowest 1 minute run I got was 22 fps but that was with tons of enemies and explosions. Of the ten 1-minute action runs I did the average was 26 fps. Again these were during intense scenes. Other times I would get a few fps higher than the benchmark. So I guess it totally depends on how and where you do the benching.

When you have multiple tabs open it may take some time to get to one and by then there could be replies you dont see since the page hajust been sitting open.

That doesn't explain what happened. Someone quoted you in a reply and the time stamp on the reply was 1 minute BEFORE your original message.

Back