Is there a way to shrink ripped bluray?

Ok, that's fine, I was just saying... Also, in case you don't know, you can use eac3to to rip just the movie from a BD-ROM without compressing it anymore (then use mkvmergegui to put the video and audio into one .mkv).

Following up just in case someone can use this information in the future. For the record I'm on win 7 64 bit.
I did some research and found a post where someone had success going into the .ini file in ripbot and changing the following value to zero:
Usex264x64=0

I did this and it is working as of now. The question now is, I have set it up to do 2 passes b/c I read somewhere this is what you should do. What does 2 passes do? The 1st pass seemed reasonable at 2.5 hrs. The 2nd pass says it will take another 5 hours. Does it normally take this long?

I don't do 2 pass. Instead I do CQ=18. I have heard from the author of ripbot that with this setting you can't see the difference between the re-encoded movie and the original. And I would agree with that. It's also much quicker.
Try it, see what you think.

This is the best set of information I have found anywhere on ripping and encoding. It's a thread over on AVSforum. There is a guide on ripping in the beginning but lots of good discussion throughout on various software for both ripping and encoding. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1033822

Last edited:
I don't do 2 pass. Instead I do CQ=18. I have heard from the author of ripbot that with this setting you can't see the difference between the re-encoded movie and the original. And I would agree with that. It's also much quicker.
Try it, see what you think.

This is the best set of information I have found anywhere on ripping and encoding. It's a thread over on AVSforum. There is a guide on ripping in the beginning but lots of good discussion throughout on various software for both ripping and encoding. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1033822

I have a ripped version of 300 with anydvdhd. Size is 23.2 gb.

I used CQ22 and got it down to a 7.14 gb mkv file. Roughly a 66+% reduction. Since you do CQ 18 (or anyone for that matter), do you know 'roughly' how much of a reduction from the original it is?

My goal is to have an mkv output file of around 10 gb for smaller movies and 15 gb for larger movies if possible.

If you want something at a specific size, tell HandBrake to encode to a given size by inputting that amount in the Target Size box on the Video tab (in terms of MB, of course, so 10GB would be 10000MB), give it 2-pass encoding (just increases the length of time it takes in the long run) and see what happens.

I'd do some test encodes and verify the image quality is what you're hoping for before committing to such a long encode, maybe a single chapter of the source material or even a section based on having HandBrake do a cut-out based on seconds (can do that by dropping the "Chapters" menu to "Seconds" or even "Frames" if you want it that precise).

I'll bet it's safe to say if you stuck with the default CQ/CRF of 20 with HandBrake - IF that's the tool you choose to use for the encoding, of course, and the latest version 0.9.5 as well - that you'll end up with encodes you'll be quite happy with from the quality as well as the size results.

To be honest with 2TB HDDs at ~£60.....why bother wasting time compressing/recoding/etc?

Anyone who's time is important to them. Ya, 2TB is cheap, and but re-encoding can save a lot of space and money.

I have about 40 HD-DVD's and about 150-160 Blu-Rays that I am putting on my DLNA server. Since I don't ever want to have to rip them again, I need back up drives. At 30GB a movie you can store about 60 movies on 2TB, but since I don't want to rip them again, I need another 2 TB to back them up to. And since I have about 200 HD movies, that's now 6 TB to store, and about 6TB to backup. Getting 12 TB in machine is not that cut and dry. Sure you can do 6TB easy, but you may be doing the whole process over again if your not careful. I know you can do RAID 5 and all that, but then you are looking at picking up a good RAID card and that is easily $300. And that doesn't in take in growth, like say when Amazon has a great deal and I pick up 10-15 Blu-Rays for cheap.

anyone ever compare dvdfab and handbrake and whatever other popular software for converting to mkv to see whats the better of them? or is there really very little difference? i was originally just going to leave the blu-ray rips alone and use tmt3, but as im having some slight stuttering it seems that converting the files to an uncompressed mkv and using straight WMC player is an easier way to do things for now. i dont care about file size and i just rip main movies. im not doing any re-encoding to save the hd audio at this point as i have a DD encoding soundcard that makes things sound great.
ive used dvdfab for a few and they seem ok, but im just wondering if one of the others is more dependable or gives a higher quality movie.

I had to use several tools for the HD-DVD's that I ripped, including Handbrake, Ripbot, MakeMKV and a few others. For the Blu-Rays I am using DVDFab, I got the Blu-Ray Ripper and Blu-Ray Copy, which allows me to only grab the main movie and the surround audio track. With that I can do a Blu-Ray in about 2 hours on my system (see Sig) and output a Blu-Ray to about 5-9 GB depending on the disk. I am converting them to PS3 format to play in my living room and that also is an acceptable format for my LG player in the bedroom. (I will add that I have done movies in 1 and 2 pass and can't tell the difference.)

My wife who just got contacts and has confirmed 20/20 vision can't tell the difference between rip and disk on our 61" TV.

Last edited:
Anyone who's time is important to them. Ya, 2TB is cheap, and but re-encoding can save a lot of space and money.

I have about 40 HD-DVD's and about 150-160 Blu-Rays that I am putting on my DLNA server. Since I don't ever want to have to rip them again, I need back up drives. At 30GB a movie you can store about 60 movies on 2TB, but since I don't want to rip them again, I need another 2 TB to back them up to. And since I have about 200 HD movies, that's now 6 TB to store, and about 6TB to backup. Getting 12 TB in machine is not that cut and dry. Sure you can do 6TB easy, but you may be doing the whole process over again if your not careful. I know you can do RAID 5 and all that, but then you are looking at picking up a good RAID card and that is easily $300. And that doesn't in take in growth, like say when Amazon has a great deal and I pick up 10-15 Blu-Rays for cheap.

I had to use several tools for the HD-DVD's that I ripped, including Handbrake, Ripbot, MakeMKV and a few others. For the Blu-Rays I am using DVDFab, I got the Blu-Ray Ripper and Blu-Ray Copy, which allows me to only grab the main movie and the surround audio track. With that I can do a Blu-Ray in about 2 hours on my system (see Sig) and output a Blu-Ray to about 5-9 GB depending on the disk. I am converting them to PS3 format to play in my living room and that also is an acceptable format for my LG player in the bedroom. (I will add that I have done movies in 1 and 2 pass and can't tell the difference.)

My wife who just got contacts and has confirmed 20/20 vision can't tell the difference between rip and disk on our 61" TV.

Just curious, for your 1 pass, what CQ setting are you using? Is it CQ=18?

Just curious, for your 1 pass, what CQ setting are you using? Is it CQ=18?

DVDFab doesn't give that kind of option, it's a drop down with either 1 Pass or 2 Pass.

The one thing I forgot to mention was like Handbrake it does have a nice Queuing ability. I rip 9-10 Blu-Rays to disk and then just queue them up for conversion, I normally do that at night and when I get up in the morning they are all done.

If you are serious about your backups, RAID should never be an option and the drives shouldn't be connected to the system. I'm nitpicking yes, but RAID is for redundancy which is slightly different than a true backup. RAID arrays are still vulnerable to controller card failure, power surges, etc. Your point is still the same though, to back up 6TB, you need an additional 6TB. ;)

Sorry, this kinda made me laugh. Just because she has 20/20 vision doesn't mean she knows what she is looking for. ;) Both my finance and I have 20/20 vision. She sometimes can't tell the difference between HD and SD, while I get pissed off if I notice macroblocking, pulldown detection screwing up and anything less than VA interlacing. Have you ever tried explaining to her the difference between bob and weave interlacing and vertex adaptive? I have tried this once before and it made me realize ignorance is bliss. :D

At 30GB a movie you can store about 60 movies on 2TB, but since I don't want to rip them again, I need another 2 TB to back them up to. And since I have about 200 HD movies, that's now 6 TB to store, and about 6TB to backup. Getting 12 TB in machine is not that cut and dry.

6TB is 3 SATA drives. Not too difficult to find a motherboard with that many SATA ports.

The backups should be kept external to that machine. A USB connection should be sufficient to copy to the backup drives.

If an original drive dies, replacement is usually not that big of a deal. (once you figure out which drive is which.)

If you are serious about your backups, RAID should never be an option and the drives shouldn't be connected to the system. I'm nitpicking yes, but RAID is for redundancy which is slightly different than a true backup. RAID arrays are still vulnerable to controller card failure, power surges, etc. Your point is still the same though, to back up 6TB, you need an additional 6TB. ;)

Sorry, this kinda made me laugh. Just because she has 20/20 vision doesn't mean she knows what she is looking for. ;) Both my finance and I have 20/20 vision. She sometimes can't tell the difference between HD and SD, while I get pissed off if I notice macroblocking, pulldown detection screwing up and anything less than VA interlacing. Have you ever tried explaining to her the difference between bob and weave interlacing and vertex adaptive? I have tried this once before and it made me realize ignorance is bliss. :D

I'm well aware RAID isn't for backup, and that's why I back up my array(and back parts of that backup up.), but if I am storing 3 TB of data, you can be damn sure I'd rather do it on a RAID 5 array then a single drive.;)

The point about my wife was the average viewer isn't going to see it. I do notice things in the rips, but they are so small that if I wasn't looking for them during the testing phase of my rips, I would have more then likely never seen them. A few of the rips I had to watch 3-4 times before I even noticed it. And it's not even about getting 100% perfection in my rips (I've seen macro-blocking during disk playback), I'll trade the a bit of macro-blocking in the odd movie to watch anyone of my movies from any TV/Computer, without having to find the disk, just click play and go.:D

6TB is 3 SATA drives. Not too difficult to find a motherboard with that many SATA ports.

The backups should be kept external to that machine. A USB connection should be sufficient to copy to the backup drives.

If an original drive dies, replacement is usually not that big of a deal. (once you figure out which drive is which.)

No it's not, I think I have like 8-10 ports on mine, that that wasn't my point. Time and cash are my point. You either spend a lot more money to store then without encoding them, and/or you save money by not backing them up and having to possibly rip them all over again.

I would rather let my system churn overnight encoding then spend 3 times the cash to get an overall output that few would notice. I spent $200 (2 2TB drives 1 store, 1 backup) and using encoding that takes me about 10 minutes a day of clicking to store about 300 movies at avg 6-7GB a movie. To me, that sure beats spending $400 to store then at 25GB+ each, with no backup included in that cost.

Unless you want to have one logical drive to store and browse a 4+ TB music and movie collection. Then you need either a RAID card or an OS that can do software RAID. RAID 5 is my preference (software RAID on Server 2008 to be precise). For backup, I like CrashPlan, Carbonite, or Backblaze - for the ~$50 a year it costs, I save on electricity plus purchasing and replacing drives, and it's stored at a different physical location preventing loss from fire, theft, or natural disaster.

Unless you want to have one logical drive to store and browse a 4+ TB music and movie collection. Then you need either a RAID card or an OS that can do software RAID. RAID 5 is my preference (software RAID on Server 2008 to be precise). For backup, I like CrashPlan, Carbonite, or Backblaze - for the ~$50 a year it costs, I save on electricity plus purchasing and replacing drives, and it's stored at a different physical location preventing loss from fire, theft, or natural disaster.

Actually, you can attach 3 distinct drives to a machine and format them with NTFS and mount the partitions (all of them) as a single accessible folder; after that, the OS will "see" the entire 6TB of available space as just one folder... RAID is not always required just to use multiple drives in a system.

Back