Is there an advantage to buying an Ipad in a retail Apple store?

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
I can either get it at an apple store or a best buy. Same price.

Do I gain anything by buying it from the apple store?

The only thing I can think of is if you want one of their ppl to transfer your contacts, etc from an old device, or if you want their "one-on-one training" or something. If your already familiar with Apple, then the only reason to buy one at the apple store is to have an excuse to play with all the other apple 'toys' while your there and/or talk to other people who like apple products...

Yes: AppleCare+ eligibility. You can buy it right there in the Apple Store. If you buy an Apple product outside of the Apple Store, the only way to get AppleCare+ is to have it inspected for condition at an Apple Store within a month of purchase.

I'd rather make one trip than two.

Yes: AppleCare+ eligibility. You can buy it right there in the Apple Store. If you buy an Apple product outside of the Apple Store, the only way to get AppleCare+ is to have it inspected for condition at an Apple Store within a month of purchase.

I'd rather make one trip than two.

Not necessarily true. I just had to call Apple's support line and they tacked it on, no questions asked. (Incidentally, the only support line I've called where they were genuinely cheerful. It was unnatural.) That said, I think I called them the same day I activated the device, so I'm not sure where the cutoff is.

It depends on the product.

I know iPhone is 1 month after the date of purchase. I would gather it's pretty similar for iPads/iPods as well.

Macs, and MacBooks are much longer before you have to decide whether or not you want to get AppleCare.

AC+ is within 30 days of ownership because of the accidental damage protection it adds. Well worth the $99.

AC for ipods and macs is within the first year.

Unless you're 80 years old or just an all out idiot, there's no reason to take advantage of their "training" shit. The thing is easier to use than anything else on earth. IMO get it at best buy, if those are your two choices, Applecare is garbage on top of garbage.

Applecare is garbage on top of garbage.

I don't know about that. I had AppleCare on a Macbook Pro that was almost 3 years old and they ended up replacing it with the current model at the time (a $1700 laptop) when the logic board failed and they couldn't fix it. I'm not normally one for extended warranties, but I've never received such service in my life from any other company. If I were planning to buy an extended warranty for any of my Apple devices again, I'd make sure it was AppleCare.

Unless you're 80 years old or just an all out idiot, there's no reason to take advantage of their "training" shit. The thing is easier to use than anything else on earth. IMO get it at best buy, if those are your two choices, Applecare is garbage on top of garbage.

2 year warranty and $49 replacement for accidental damage(up to two incidents within that 2 years) is garbage? Given that its $300 to replace the iPad for physical damage, I would say it is worth it.

Could just be me then, but I've had nothing but horrific experiences replacing laptops and phones in the past. From taking forever to get anything done, to having repairs that did nothing for me, to outright getting refusal of service since "too many repairs" were made and shit still didn't work. How is that my problem if the things I bought don't work? Fix it...

Just a little sour.

I can either get it at an apple store or a best buy. Same price.

Do I gain anything by buying it from the apple store?

Sure. You don't have to check out at a register and your receipt can be emailed to you :)

Last edited:

You are way wrong Sir.

AppleCare is a pretty damned awesome system. No one should ever own a Laptop without it.

When I was running an Apple Department back in the 90's, I sold a shit load of AppleCare. People who didn't believe in extended warranties bought AppleCare from me.

My secret?

I discounted it 25%, still made 25%, and everyone was thrilled. I was the only locally one that would do it :)

Applecare+ can be good. Though for someone technically inclined like me I don't bother getting it on my iPhones. It would cost $99 for the coverage and then another $50 for the deductible.

I can often repair my phone myself with parts off ifixit for less than $150 should something happen. That said, I have been using iPhones for 5 years and have never had to fix them so it would have been a waste.

It's a cost/benefit and a gamble and so far I guess I have picked the best option for me.

What I at least do though is purchase them with my American Express card which automatically extends the basic AppleCare warranty to 2 years to protect against normal wear and tear which is enough for me. Things like internal chips malfunctioning, buttons wearing out, battery wearing out. I've even got a new free backplate on basic AppleCare because the camera lens somehow became incredibly scratched.

AppleCare+ is great if you think you are going to drop your phone in water and shatter the glass and wreck the LCD more than once in the time you have it though. Because even replacing the LCD yourself is less than $150 to do once.

Applecare is garbage on top of garbage.

I would infer from this that you have unrealistically high standards for warranties, but you praised Best Buy's support in the same post, so…

Basically, no difference. Except, you may have to make a second trip to an Apple store for applecare+ like others have mentioned. Normal applecare you can buy anywhere and register it to your Apple product

I would infer from this that you have unrealistically high standards for warranties, but you praised Best Buy's support in the same post, so…

Read what I wrote above. Just some sour experiences. I've never had an issue with Best Buy support for the record. Just how the die rolled I suppose.

The only advantage is for the local gov that gets a cut of the pie.

Which is almost every state for apple. Notice I said almost.

I would most definately go to BB and get it. Assuming its the exact same model, specs you want.

Why? With my BB rewards card I get something back. It may be $10 or $15 but its something. If anything goes wrong with the device in the warranty period, I can take it to any apple store and have it serviced. Best of both worlds. In fact I just bought another apple router there yesterday.

Only time I wouldn't if you had a nice educational discount and didn't want to deal with BB price match or you preorder from apple directly.

This whole AppleCare discussion is a side show. Either you get it or not. You can always call and get it tacked on within the alotted time frame.

This whole AppleCare discussion is a side show. Either you get it or not. You can always call and get it tacked on within the alotted time frame.
They're talking about AppleCare+. It can't be tacked on via phone call.

Back