Is there an internal drive for a good price ANYWHERE at the moment?

Russ

[H]ard|Gawd
See title.... so frustrated at the moment.

Looking to buy a NAS (Synology 2 bays), but I need some decent drives to go with it.

Can't find a deal on anything anywhere that isn't expired or sold out. :(

There was serious flooding in Thailand which has affected HDD production. The prices are up across the board, and aren't expected to return to previous levels for quite some time. Best I can recommend is maybe checking your local Craigslist, etc. for someone selling drives they don't know the actual value of. I've managed to do OK with this for a while but even those are drying up now.

Prices are on their way down, hopefully they stay going that way.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...prices_slide_as_Thai_flood_aftermath_subsides

Your link says there has been punctual drops from insane prices, not that the real drop has started. In fact it says the worst is to come in terms of inventory, and that prices should start dropping at the end of Q1 2012.

When deliveries were stopped, prices skyrocketed, but that situation was temporary. Now deliveries are regular, just half what they were before. So, prices should stabilize somewhere, we don't know where yet, but it won't be pretty.

D'oh, that's what I get for posting without a decent ammount of sleep...

just had a WD 2.5TB for $136.54 includes shipping from an Amazon store.
I didn't believe the price when I ordered, and probably neither was the store owner, since he pumped the price up to $200 few days after.
(should have ordered more)

I regret not buying more 2tb's in June 2011 when they were $59.99 out the door at my local Micro Center. I picked up two in hopes that for Black Friday I'd be able to snag them at $49.99. BOY was I wrong. I'm lucky to find one at $119.99 right now.

... guess I just have to wait til prices go down and save for 3tb's

There was serious flooding in Thailand which has affected HDD production. The prices are up across the board, and aren't expected to return to previous levels for quite some time. Best I can recommend is maybe checking your local Craigslist, etc. for someone selling drives they don't know the actual value of. I've managed to do OK with this for a while but even those are drying up now.

Uh, yes I know.

I'm not looking for pre-flood pricing. I'm just looking for a sale ANYWHERE on something 1.5TB or more.

I can't find a single site with a sale going on right now on something more than like 500gb. I'll pay $80-100 for 2 TB, but it's a struggle to find 2 TB under $150 now (hell, even $200).

Uhhhh....
Lowered supply and increased demand will lower your odds of a sale a fair bit. Which means.
Uhhh.
You will pay more than $100 for a 2TB. And,
Uhh.
Don't be a dick to the first person that responds to your pretty stupid question.

I'll pay $80-100 for 2 TB.

All I can say is "good luck with that" :D

6 months ago you couldn't even find 500GB in the store because the 1TB were down to like $50-$60 so why even bother buying something smaller. Now I see 300GB-600GB popping up again.

HDD's were stupid cheap for a couple years. Hope you enjoyed while it was around.

Back