Is there an SMTP collector with customizable dashboard?

dalearyous

[H]ard|Gawd
what i am looking for is a better way to collect emails from hardware (such as UPS). i have a lot of hardware that i care about and SMTP is the only reliable way to get an alert. but i don't want them coming to my email. i would love some time of collector that could receive the emails and report it on a dashboard.

does this even exist? what i am envisioning is if i get an email from X, alert on a dashboard about that email.

I dont know about SMTP, but SNMP does exactly that and more. If you receive certain alerts that meet your criteria, then it can email you.

Most people want to go the other way around - they have syslog or whatever and want to send an email on certain types of events. Lots of open source projects around this use-case.

Email to log/syslog/etc not so much.

I just had to set-up a server with some custom scripts to do just this:
  1. Alarm email cc'ed to server running mailserver (postfix)
  2. Cron job runs script every minute
  3. Script parses emails it received in last minute
  4. Create syslog event based on metadata extracted from email
  5. Send syslog to Splunk environment
  6. Display events on dashboard
I looked around for quite a while and couldn't find anything remotely close, had to just roll my own. You could easily write the events to a webpage on the server and just auto-refresh every minute or whatever.

If you're polling hardware health and the like, I'd agree that SNMP is much better. I'm only using the system above for things that cannot send an alarm any other way.

Nagios or the like for SNMP polling/alarm/trending or set-up an SNMP trap receiver. There's a lot of well documented tools in this category.

yeah i know SNMP does and thats is why we have solarwinds. i was just looking for something to handle items that do not have SNMP capabilities, or items that are shared where the SNMP is already setup for someone else. time to do something custom then.

what i am looking for is a better way to collect emails from hardware (such as UPS). i have a lot of hardware that i care about and SMTP is the only reliable way to get an alert. but i don't want them coming to my email. i would love some time of collector that could receive the emails and report it on a dashboard.

does this even exist? what i am envisioning is if i get an email from X, alert on a dashboard about that email.
why don't you want them coming to your email?

Within my organization I use a combination of SolarWinds Network Performance Monitoring (for SNMP alerts for networking devices firewalls, switches, routers, NICs - Link up/Link down/ environmental (power/cpu temp/memory..etc Traps) and SolarWinds Server and Application Monitoring for SNMP/WMI alerting for servers, workstations databases etc. These alerts come to SolarWinds ...from there I setup an SMTP relay service within an IIS Server in my DMZ subnet that receives these SNMP messages and forwards them to a coprporate mail server. (Obviously I'm leaving out a lot of detail in the implementation). To answer your question, the SolarWinds web console module has dashboards to view all this information. The products are not cheap tho.

Back