Is there any Flash 10.1 installation on Linux 64 bit?

CoW]8(0)

[H]ard|Gawd
It's getting close to 3 months and Adobe still hasn't delivered any news about Flash 10.1 for Linux 64 bit systems. Has anyone found alternative ways to Flash 10.1 in Linux 64-bit at this point?

As much as I hope HTML5 puts an end to all these annoying issues, I still need Flash for the near future on my Linux box.

Not anymore, no. Adobe pulled all the 64 bit Linux Flashplayer clients because they suffered from that severe exploit discovered in the recent past (I think the one from Charlie Miller or whoever, can't remember the specifics), and they announced they have zero intention of re-releasing a patched version of the 64 bit Linux client.

So for this moment you have two choices: 1) use the old client that's susceptible to the exploit or 2) stick with the 32 bit client with a 32 bit browser.

They actually announced they're not even going to release a 64bit version of 10.1? Last I heard they intended to release a version eventually

Is it possible to run a 32 bit browser on a 64 bit distribution of Linux such as Ubuntu 64bit?

Of course it's possible, 64 bit OSes are backwards compatible with 32 bit code (but not 16 bit code, at least on Windows which will balk at the attempt, not sure about Linux distros or OSX in that regard).

As for Adobe, they haven't specifically said they're not going to get around to 64 bit Flashplayer clients for all platforms; all they did was pull the Linux one that I'm aware of but that was the only one that existed anyway.

Sooner or later we'll all have 64 bit everything but, that's a long time away, and 32 bit browsers work just damned fine as things are.

hoop jumping is involved with getting 32 bit flash to work in 64 bit browsers. you can't just use the plugin alone or add a 32 bit browser to your system with a click.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

'requires Adobe Flash Player (R) to view'

j/k, I had to :D

Well crap, that's a good point :p
From the youtube description (just in case you can't view it):

This tutorial will detail installing Adobe Flash 10.1 in 64bit Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. Flash 10.1 is the newest release designed with emphasis on performance via hardware acceleration. In my experience, it runs much smoother and more stable than the version available for download through the Ubuntu Software Center.

-----

Installation: (Make sure you remove any current versions of Flash before continuing)

-Navigate to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ and download the tar.gz for Linux.
-Extract libflashplayer.so to your Desktop

- Navigate to your terminal and type:
- cd /home/user_name/Desktop (case sensitive, replace user_name with your username)

Then input the following 4 commands individually:
- sudo mv libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
- sudo nspluginwrapper -i /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
- sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
- sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/

And you're done!

-----

If you'd like to uninstall, input the following commands in your terminal:

- sudo rm /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
- sudo rm /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
- sudo rm /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
- sudo rm /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so

Links:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1329654

Well crap, that's a good point :p
From the youtube description (just in case you can't view it):

This tutorial will detail installing Adobe Flash 10.1 in 64bit Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. Flash 10.1 is the newest release designed with emphasis on performance via hardware acceleration. In my experience, it runs much smoother and more stable than the version available for download through the Ubuntu Software Center.

-----

Installation: (Make sure you remove any current versions of Flash before continuing)

-Navigate to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ and download the tar.gz for Linux.
-Extract libflashplayer.so to your Desktop

- Navigate to your terminal and type:
- cd /home/user_name/Desktop (case sensitive, replace user_name with your username)

Then input the following 4 commands individually:
- sudo mv libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
- sudo nspluginwrapper -i /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
- sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
- sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/

And you're done!

I did this very same thing with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS... it's too bad I didn't have a howto like that.

There is a single package you can grab with newer Ubuntu based distributions that does everything for you.

First run through was... interesting, to say the least. A picture says a thousand words...

Firefox froze shortly after. Force quit, tried again. All seems to be working fine now. Watch a few videos with no troubles, was able to pause and skip ahead without issues. Obviously only time will tell, but as of now it seems to be working. I'll post again once I have some more testing under my belt.

Well I did get around to trying it out and it works fairly well for me. HD streaming no longer seems to be an issue. I do get the occasional audio issues where there's no sound output but nothing a browser restart doesn't fix.

After using this for pretty much an entire month, I have no complaints. I'm still having a bug with *sometimes* having videos become non-responsive if I have 2 or more loading at a time on YouTube, but I'm not sure if this is due to flash or another issue.

Back