is there? x34 replacement coming out?

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
I do not keep up with displays much these days. I am using a Asus PA246 P-IPS display and whilst I love the professional IPS panel it is aged and old tech and small at 16:10 24". I no longer require 16:10.

I am really considering buying, in the next month or two, a Acer Predator X34. I love the fact it has GSync and I have a 980ti, of which I can sell and get a 1080 or SLI the 980ti or just wait until next gen comes out which will be a while.

My needs for a monitor are gaming and web surfing and doing homework as my 35 year old ass inches towards medical school day by day. I am no longer an IT professional and do not do office work, I got bored with Cisco network engineering. Hence the WQHD display seems to be where I want to go.

Anyways long story out of the way. Do you guys foresee a replacement, newer tech, coming out soon for the X34? Maybe the X35 lol... I don't know I just don't keep up to speed with the latest stuff on displays anymore.

I have a Predator X34 and absolutely love it. On release there were a LOT of quality assurance problems. I traded in a couple and finally got a perfect one, and couldn't be happier. There is always an upgrade "coming" to every piece of tech. But then you get back into the boat I got into. Buying the newest and "best" thing on release, then experiencing all the problems that go with buying the newest tech. I used a coupon and got mine for $1000 new. But now I think people are getting refurbished ones for $749, which is an amazing deal. Those are the ones that needed a small upgrade in hardware internally that got returned or swapped out. There was a piece of hardware that was defective that took a small upgrade and there was a whole wave of exchanges because of it.

So you can do that for $749, or wait for some newer release in the next year or so. But expect to pay $1200+ and possibly go through a "beta" testing process if it's buggy. $749 for this monitor, that you could keep for years easily, is a great deal. And now all the QA problems seemed to be fixed. Mine is perfect and a thing of beauty.

I have a Predator X34 and absolutely love it. On release there were a LOT of quality assurance problems. I traded in a couple and finally got a perfect one, and couldn't be happier. There is always an upgrade "coming" to every piece of tech. But then you get back into the boat I got into. Buying the newest and "best" thing on release, then experiencing all the problems that go with buying the newest tech. I used a coupon and got mine for $1000 new. But now I think people are getting refurbished ones for $749, which is an amazing deal. Those are the ones that needed a small upgrade in hardware internally that got returned or swapped out. There was a piece of hardware that was defective that took a small upgrade and there was a whole wave of exchanges because of it.

So you can do that for $749, or wait for some newer release in the next year or so. But expect to pay $1200+ and possibly go through a "beta" testing process if it's buggy. $749 for this monitor, that you could keep for years easily, is a great deal. And now all the QA problems seemed to be fixed. Mine is perfect and a thing of beauty.

Awesome reply and thanks. Would you have a link to a good refurbished one?

Also do you the 980ti is food enough for wqhd on above avg graphics?

There is a newer model version of the X34 coming out 4th quarter this year (2016) supposedly. I forget the website that mentions it but the Manufacturer's website probably mentions it. If you want a X34 then I would wait for it.

I think a 21:9 needs to be a 37" or maybe even a 42" to make use 30" Dell owners feel comfortable with the vertical height. I recently purchased a 35" curved and felt the same way you describe with the 34" 21:9.

Only real difference between the x34 and the x34p (the new one), is that the x34p comes shipped at 100hz, rather then the x34 that needs to be OC'ed, although that can be done easily.
So if you can get yourself a refurbed x34 for cheep, I say go for it, that's what I'm doing.

Only real difference between the x34 and the x34p (the new one), is that the x34p comes shipped at 100hz, rather then the x34 that needs to be OC'ed, although that can be done easily.
So if you can get yourself a refurbed x34 for cheep, I say go for it, that's what I'm doing.

I just read that the 34p will be overclockable to 120hz+ or so given stability of the individual monitor. I also read the controls for navigating the menu are far improved and the screen has a little more bend in it. Also has an aluminum backplate on the monitor instead of glossy, show every booger and print, plastic.

These changes alone might make it worth the premium on launch.

I have the X34 - Looks great.No real complaints.

However, I'd would definitely go and demo one in a big box store for a while first.

Why?

I'm not sure I entirely get on with the slight curvature. Honestly, if the screen was totally flat I'd be far more happy. With the screen curve, your normal reference lines take on a slight bend and towards the edge of the screen the parallax means you begin looking into the screen edge where the layers between the panel and the front transparency become visible. It's not a major issue, but it is strange to my eye.

The only "issue" I find on mine is some slight whine. Again - it is minor. For context, if it's late at night and everyone has gone to bed I might hear it for a few minutes if my attention isn't on a page or something. When it's this quiet, I start hearing my computer fans so really I wouldn't let this concern you too much.

As for the revision of the X34: I don't think it matters. Who looks at the back of their screen? Can you actually drive your screen above 100Hz?
- The only practical improvement is the monitor stand now swivels. This is quite nice as teh monitor stand is both incredible deep and the entire setup is heavy to move around.

I have the X34 - Looks great.No real complaints.

However, I'd would definitely go and demo one in a big box store for a while first.

Why?

I'm not sure I entirely get on with the slight curvature. Honestly, if the screen was totally flat I'd be far more happy. With the screen curve, your normal reference lines take on a slight bend and towards the edge of the screen the parallax means you begin looking into the screen edge where the layers between the panel and the front transparency become visible. It's not a major issue, but it is strange to my eye.

The only "issue" I find on mine is some slight whine. Again - it is minor. For context, if it's late at night and everyone has gone to bed I might hear it for a few minutes if my attention isn't on a page or something. When it's this quiet, I start hearing my computer fans so really I wouldn't let this concern you too much.

As for the revision of the X34: I don't think it matters. Who looks at the back of their screen? Can you actually drive your screen above 100Hz?
- The only practical improvement is the monitor stand now swivels. This is quite nice as teh monitor stand is both incredible deep and the entire setup is heavy to move around.

Well one has to consider that the 100hz is the panels refresh rate on tap. So if you are putting 60 FPS into the LCD the panel is refreshing at 100 cycles a second, even if it only paints 60 cycles worth of change. There is overhead. And that is what counts for many people in order to avoid those pesky tearing events. Don't think of what I am saying in terms of CRT refreshing. But thanks for your points on the awkward sense the curved panel gives you. They have one on demo at the Marietta (Atlanta) GA microcenter not far from where I live. I will go in there and take a closer look at it. Maybe ask them to hook a gaming laptop up to it and run a demo of some bench mark program or something to see if I really want to drop 1K on it. But I am game to buy one in the next month. I just want to wait and see when the 34P is coming out. Not that it is worth waiting for... but the price might go down a little on the x34 current model not to mention the 100hz steady refresh overclockable to 120'ish sounds like 3d gaming might be possible. I gbuess I will investigate into getting a second 980ti SLI or sell mine and get a 1080 or wait on the new Radeons to come out ... nuther topic for sure I know.

They have one on demo at the Marietta (Atlanta) GA microcenter not far from where I live. I will go in there and take a closer look at it. Maybe ask them to hook a gaming laptop up to it and run a demo of some bench mark program or something to see if I really want to drop 1K on it.
I was in that store a few days ago, the only curved ultrawide I saw on display was an $800 LG. Did I miss it? I didn't really care enough to hunt down an employee to ask as I'll probably wait a few months to see what comes out this fall before making any decisions.

I was in that store a few days ago, the only curved ultrawide I saw on display was an $800 LG. Did I miss it? I didn't really care enough to hunt down an employee to ask as I'll probably wait a few months to see what comes out this fall before making any decisions.

They may have removed it. However, when I was in there it was over on the wall to your right if you just walked past the customer no service desk in the monitors and laptops section. IF you were looking at the screen head on, then immediately in front of you (behind the monitor) through the wall is the customer non service desk.

I picked up the X34 used on Woot about 2 months ago for $684.99. (EDIT - bought it through the Woot app since they were offering a discount to get people to use the app). There were a few available in early and then again late July. It arrived a few days later and I'm very happy with it. OCing is easy and games are very smooth (paired with a FTW 1080). I've been keeping an eye out for a second one (used) but supply is spotty. Maybe when the new ones come out there will be more available as people trade up.

Last edited:
Awesome reply and thanks. Would you have a link to a good refurbished one?

Also do you the 980ti is food enough for wqhd on above avg graphics?

I'm running 3440x1440 with 980ti SLI. You'll need a second card to max everything (Rise of the Tomb Raider, The Witcher 3, GTA V, etc.) but most titles play well at near max settings with a single card.

I'm running 3440x1440 with 980ti SLI. You'll need a second card to max everything (Rise of the Tomb Raider, The Witcher 3, GTA V, etc.) but most titles play well at near max settings with a single card.

I ran it with a single 980Ti before getting the 1080. It was pretty good, but agree with the above - SLI would be better.

Back