Is this a good kit for a beginning water cooler?

The Apex GT should do a fine job of keeping your Dual core cool. You'd be surprised at the performance. I'd say try the setup first before buying the Fuzion. This kit comes with a good pump (rebadged D5) and the MCR220QP can remove a lot of heat with low speed Yate Loon fans. This is a great starter kit because you can grow into this and when you want to go with higher end gear, you will only need to swap the blocks.

Which kit my man :confused: and where did youse hear Swiftech blocks weren't that great :rolleyes:

I think where you're getting confused is the Swiftech Apogee GTX has a (gasp) aluminum top. Although they say it's some kinda super duper plating deal, I still don't want any aluminum in my loops. (yeah, I know about the copper top, but $40 clams?):(

ATM I have 2x Q6600's, OC'ed 3.0 GHz, folding 24/7 with no problems. My ambient is about 21c and according to Real Temp (calibrated) and Core Temp the folding load is about 50c degrees (sometimes less and sometimes more, never more than +1c or +2c depending on the WU). I don't know or care what the idle temps are, I fold 24/7 and I never see idle temps. On both cpus I use a "bowed" Apogee GT with 3/8" tubers and I couldn't be happier :D

In the advent I ever (super gasp) got a kit (not likelyl) I think I'd get a Swiftech H20 220 liquid cooling kit. I like the compactness, the efficiency, the fact you can add more than one block and not worry, the fact I have and love the Apogee GT (what the all in one deal is) and I have and love the MCP350 pump (which the all in one deal also has)

oh okay you just saved me like 60 bucks thanks.
yeah originally i was just gunna get the h20 120 compact then i was like nah because if i ever wanted to expand there wouldnt be many options to grow as i got more adventurous with it.

Also does any one know where i can mount the double rad as i will be getting a stacker 830 and i dont want to mount it on the back i would really like to mount it on top and i dont want to have to mod it but the bottom is a good place too. I have seen it at the front and there is something about it i just dont like. Anyone got an idea.

EDIT: The link should be up and running by now if not lemme know

Thanks,

prodigee

Yes, mount it on the bottom of the case. From the forum gallery pics I've seen, most mount a 120x2 rad on bottom. You'll have to experiment with fan orientation, but that seems to be the most logical location.

I have that exact kit and it has been cooling my Q6700 beautifully. I'm using a the 3 x 120mm rad, but the few days used the original one, it was almost the same performance - low 30s idle (1.5Vcore/ 3.6ghz), ~50C load. You could probably add a GPU block to the loop w/ this kit and still be in good shape. I've had no problems with the Apex GT waterblock either. It was easy to install and I didn't even need to use the rubber ring meant to bow the block a little. The tubing is pretty decent if not top shelf, and tube ends stay on the barbs pretty tightly (you have to soak the ends in hot water for 30 sec to loosen them up).

Just be careful w/ the rad...the back page of the manual tells you the screw lengths that are OK if you're installing one of the 2 delta fans included. Aside from that, the nylon barb clamps are crap. They're too small. I ended up thick zip ties, but like I said the tubing is on there pretty tight and frankly the zip ties seem to be a better idea.

Otherwise, the only other thing I had to do was drill 2 holes in the back of the case beneath my 120mm fan header for the tubing to reach the externally mounted rad (using radbox, included). Once I had the right drill part, that was pretty easy. I'd rather the rad get cool air (plus my case won't fit the rad) so I was OK with mounting the rad on the back of the case.

For someone getting into watercooling for the first time, it's a good kit b/c you get used to what parts are required and how to set up the system.

BTW the Apogee GT kit comes w/ the MCP655B pump.

okay cool thanks MrE

thanks praysts that info is really helpful. Wow this whole water cooling thing really weighs on your mind i was looking at this stuff all week for like 5 hours a day and now i think i have made up my mind but please if there is other stuff please lemme know as i am a complete n00b when it comes to this stuff any way thanks.

yeah i know its a pretty nice kit now that i have done alot of research on the matter of water cooling and the only thing in there that isnt the most popular is the cpu block and even then it appears to be a really good block.

Out of curiosity - is it a good pump? It seems to be one of the stronger pumps they offer.

Yeah I spent a lot of time checking out kits (mostly b/c I didn't have the whole picture as to what was involved..hence didn't just buy separate parts). Ultimately, it's a pump, res, radiator, waterblocks and tubing. I only get confused when there's mention of t-lines and the alternative to reservoirs ...umm fill something. But other than that it's pretty straight forward and effective!

thanks prasvt all this info is really helpful i am going to order this setup on wednesday when i get my paycheck along with the stacker 830 which i will either mount the rad in the front or on the bottom (if i can do that without modding. Although i will have three hard drives and i dont know if the double rad will take up that spot so in which case i will have to the rad on the bottom which i am reluctant to do because i have never really modded a case. If anyone has pictures of their water cooled stackers that would be really helpful.

Thanks,

prodigee

Nothing wrong with Swiftech gear.

wcwolf3.jpg

:)

thank you stabbin that really helps to get a look at it (sort of) i just went out yesterday to home depot and bought 10 ft (smallest amount they had) of 1/2 id and a few clamps because i hear the ones that come with the kit suck. I cant wait until i get it. Its gunna be sweet.

That is a beautiful, clean lookin' setup Stabbin. :D

Lookin' at that setup makes ya' proud to be a WC'er :p

Back