Is this a VIRUS or what ?

Webb

Limp Gawd
Well the PC finally died,but before it happened,when turning on the PC after a few minutes I got this green $$$$$$$$$$ money sign all over the screen,after a while shuts off itself.

Do you guys have any idea what could it be ?

Do you currently run any anti-virus?

What were you doing when it happened?

What did you do before all this started to happen?

Grab a spare hard drive and try to install XP on it. This will rule out a virus. If it still happens then it is a hardware issue that will need to be tested further. I dont think its a virus, I'm more likely to bet its hardware related or XP has been corrupted.

Grab a spare hard drive and try to install XP on it. This will rule out a virus. If it still happens then it is a hardware issue that will need to be tested further. I dont think its a virus, I'm more likely to bet its hardware related or XP has been corrupted.

The PSU on/off button was lose would not turn either on or off,then I bought another PSU,but mine previous PSU had an extra connection (?) Also the Mobo has and extra 6 pin ( connection ) ?

It's right next to the Main power connection and it's a 6 pin connector,my older PSU had a female plug that matched the male 6 pin on the Mobo. The new PSU that I bought didn't have that 6 pin female connection.

So I don't know,probably I'm missing that ? I have no clue.

It looks like you'll need a replacement power supply that has the 6 pin connector:

What kind of power supply do I need for the Intel Desktop Board D850GB?
The Intel Desktop Board D850GB requires a power supply that complies with the ATX12V †Power Supply Design Guide Version 1.1.

The ATX12V power supply required for the Intel Desktop Board D850GB has the standard 20-pin ATX Main Power Connector, a 4-pin +12V and a 6-pin Aux. Power Connectors.

The new 4-pin +12V power connector has been added to enable the delivery of more +12VDC current to the desktop board. This connector is used by the board to power the processor's voltage regulator module (VRM).

The 6-pin Aux. Power connector provides additional current to meet the board's +3.3VDC and +5VDC requirements.

The Intel Desktop Board D850GB requires as a minimum a 250-Watt ATX12V power supply to operate.

Your system configuration (amount of memory, add-in cards current demand and peripherals, etc.) may exceed the minimum power requirements for a Intel Desktop Board D850GB. To assure adequate power is provided use a 300 Watt (or greater) ATX12V power supply.

CAUTION: Failure to use an ATX12V power supply, or not connecting both additional power supply leads to the Intel Desktop Board D850GB or Intel D850GBAL may result in damage to the desktop board and/or power supply.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now from what I can assume this computer is a bit dated. Maybe the more worthwhile thing to do is build a new PC since that would give you less headaches in the long run and not have more components fail in the future. But if you dont have the budget to seek a replacement, you'll probably want to pick up a different power supply if that is what malfunctioned and try reinstalling Windows XP because it may have been corrupted.

Could you give more details about when the $$$$$$$$$$$$$ showed up? Was it during the win xp loading logo? Right after the BIOS post? Right when you pressed the Power button? If you can just detail the way it started up to give a better idea of what could be the problem.

Dan

Check your bank accounts and your paypal account.

Green dollar signs, seems like someone is screwing with you.

Why did it die?

Why did it die?

thats what we're trying to figure out.

i would say virus, i would find a spare hdd, install a LINUX Based OS (seeing as Windows virus's don't work with Linux), shove in the old XP drive, boot in Linux and do a virus scan.

When I read "computer died", I assumed it won't power on. That's dead to me.
The dollar sign business has happened before, more than once, if I read the first post correctly.

It doesn't matter what hardware you have. Floating dollar signs on your screen shouldn't be there for any reason unless you put them there.

Its possible that the virus is running your CPU at 100% for so long that you are overheating if you have nicotine dust bunnies living in your heatsink.

Other than that, yes you have a virus. Reformat your drive. If you need to save some files, then do what Null recommended. If not, just reinstall windows.

(Did you buy a new PSU because your on/off button was loose?)

Can you post some pics of these connectors and plugs you speak of?

Inteld850gb_ideports.jpg
The six pin male plug,that's the one I'm missing to connect to the newer PSU.

Find a power supply that is similar to the one that died (with both of the auxiliary connectors) and then do an Windows XP reinstall. This will negate software being the cause.

When do the $$$$$$$$$$ show up? Before the XP boot screen or after it? And just because there are dollar signs does not mean it is a virus. Anything can cause that. Software isn't flawless (as you can tell by windows) and it does weird things sometimes. But its important to know when the $$$$$$$$$$ show up.

Before XP Boot -> Hardware problem
After XP Boot -> Software problem

Since its auxiliary there may be a chance you could get away with it...but as I posted earlier Intel recommends that you have them all so that there is no chance of hardware failure due to it not having the extra current.

Dan

The $$$$$ shows up right after booting up,while online,then the computer goes shuts off.I'll have to trying finding the right PSU.

Thanks

Back