Is this right? Passive sparkle 8800gt

Mokkat

[H]ard|Gawd
I got the new guts for my pc yesterday, including a brand new cool-pipe 3 sparkle 8800gt. I was a bit worried a heatsink-only card would overheat, but it was the only card available in stock when i ordered it.
So, I assembled my pc in my antec P180, looks like this:

dsc00126tq4.jpg

With the review this sparkle card got on Anandtech in mind, I started playing around to check if the card would run stuff without chrashing or giving me artifacts - everything was fine, so I fooled around in Team Fortress 2, Timeshift and Mythos for some hours, enjoying the neat grafics and the smooth framerates. Then I decided to find out what kind of temperatures the card was running, so I downloaded Rivatuner to monitor temps, played a couple of more hours and checked the temps every once in a while:
The temps never rose above 75*C. Is this right?! The temperatur probe in the card isnt broken or something? 75 is miles away from the 110 or so degrees Anandtech got :p

If I remember right, Anandtech wasn't running any fans on it. You've got a big-ass case fan drawing air out of the case from right over the heatsink.

Theirs had 2 x 80mm fans in the back of the case, and a big PSU fan in the top. That equalled 106*C for them :p

Just looked at that review again, and it looks like you have much better air-flow than they did. You've got that nice blow-hole on the top of your case exhausting air out with a large fan. All Anandtech had was a normal dual- fan PSU which really doesn't help a whole lot. Also your one larger fan in the rear of your case is likely doing a better job than their smaller 80mm fans. They were also using a Quad-Core 3.2GHz Penryn/Yorkfield based processor located 3" from the Sparkle Heatsink to intentionally heat things up. Finally, they used Crysis to stress the card which will heat things up better and faster than any of the games that you used. Congrats on the great temps by the way. Don't worry, be happy. :)

sparkleji8.jpg

Back