Is This Upgrade a smart move?

IanSMK

Weaksauce
my dads motherboard is broken, and mine is getting a little outdated, so i was thinking of just giving him my system (3400+, 6800gt, gig of ram, asus motherboard) and upgrading to SLI, i usually build a computer with price and performance hand in hand, and i made a huge mistake 2 summers ago with this computer when i made it because i bought AGP right when pciexpress came out...) anyways yea it seems like a sweet system to give away but its not only for my dad, but also for my brothers when they visit.

anyways i need to buy a video card, 2 gigs of ram, a processor, and a video card
i will be using the PC for video editing, and gaming... the games i play are Oblivion, FEAR.. and i want to use this computer to be play the next Battlefield(not 2, the futuristic one) and Quake Wars...DEFINITELY QUAKE WARS... that game looks nasty... also i know i mentioned i wanted to upgrade to SLI... well i dont plan on(unless the hardforum gods deem necessary) to buy 2 cards right now, i was hoping the card that i have picked out will do the trick but worst case scenario if it doesnt, i buy another in a year when these games come out and run 2 of them...
i will be running all of this off of a Truepower 2.0 Antec 550w PSU

heres what im looking to get...please any criticism...
also is it retarded to upgrade right now? is there going to be revolutionary technology dropping in june or something?

Charlie says:
Mainboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813121287
Charlie says:
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116239
Charlie says:
RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141211
Charlie says:
VIDEO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130015

my cousen recommends these parts.. we usually dont always agree on these types of things...but the only complaint i have about that lineup is the ram... the reviews on newegg seem on and off...and i think id rather shell out the cash for this instead

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145015

is the processor and MOBO a good combo? i was looking at the benchmarks on tomshardware and that processor seems to hold its own against the extreme editions... and for the price it seems like a good idea

also is an nvidia 7900gtx worth the price compared to the 7900gt im looking to get? thx a lot guys

also i was thinking of getting an upgraded CPU cooler... the zalman i think? tomshardware suggested it

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118223

I'd recommend a AMD cpu and mobo. They seem to be on top of the market right now.

wait what is a comparable AMD processor to the one im looking at, to compare prices and benchmarks

also whats the ETA on conroe? am i stupid for not holding out? or is it just going to be 1000 dollar unreachable processors when it comes out anyways

im seriously torn between AMD and INTEL but also torn between NVIDIA and ATI now, im really up for any suggestions

also are 2 cards a lot better than one? would i be better off with 2 gt's as opposed to one gtx? and holding onto the gtx until the prices drop and THAN getting another? so stressful :(

and if youre considering the 7900gtx...id say get the x1900xt...its faster with better iq :)

It's not always about having the power available. Some of us just don't want to USE that much more power to be a bit faster in SOME games.

dandragonrage said:
It's not always about having the power available. Some of us just don't want to USE that much more power to be a bit faster in SOME games.

granted...but if i was in his situation id still go for the x1900xt :)

ETA July eh? and starting at 250? so ur telling me i will be able to get a processor much better than that at 250 in july?

look im begging anyone, ive had a very rough past semester. My dog passed away, my 200 gig harddrive with everything on it died so i lost everything(all my video editing and personal photos from highschool and family events), and i just broke up with a girlfriend of 6 months, on top of finals and a demanding work schedule, i have NOT had the chance to keep up with the AMD INTEL war, or the NVIDIA ATI war... last time i built my computers i got like AGP righttt when the 6800gt was coming out, and at that time it was that or pci-e, which in my opinion REALLY hurt me in the long run. I really want to get a board, CPU, ram, and video card thats going to last me, but not at the most ridiculous prices like the very top of the line. The games i want to primarily play are going to be Quake Wars, Battle field 2, and FEAR. i also do a lot of video editing. i really need some help just picking out parts and knowing which direction is the smartest way. I AM A NOOB. i can build and trouble shoot but im still learning and to be honest ive been up for days just trying to research and reading benchmarks but i KNOW that there are many of you that can easily just say "dude buy this processor, it has 2 mb L2 cache and u wont bottleneck, and this motherboard will support conroe but also support SLI so when the next gen games come out u can double up ur **** card"...newegg preferably, but for someone to just say "SCREW THE INTEL LINEUP"(no offense) and not justify that, or help point me in the correct direction, than its going to make me more lost than i already am. :confused:

If you want AMDnow , buy an Opterown 165. And there are several motherboard choices.

If you want to wait a little bit for AMD, you can get an AM2. The Asus motherboard interests me the most so far because DFI is sticking to their loud active cooling on the chipset and Abit is sticking to their even worse OTES that takes up most of your I/O plate. (WTF are you thinking, Abit!? Drop that crap already!)

If you want to wait for Conroe, I'd say wait for the hardware to come out and read reviews / compare prices before deciding. (Not that I'm saying don't do that for AM2)

dandragonrage said:
If you want AMDnow , buy an Opterown 165. And there are several motherboard choices.

If you want to wait a little bit for AMD, you can get an AM2. The Asus motherboard interests me the most so far because DFI is sticking to their loud active cooling on the chipset and Abit is sticking to their even worse OTES that takes up most of your I/O plate. (WTF are you thinking, Abit!? Drop that crap already!)

If you want to wait for Conroe, I'd say wait for the hardware to come out and read reviews / compare prices before deciding. (Not that I'm saying don't do that for AM2)

when is the am2 coming out? and what is crossfire mode with the video cards, i dont need to worry about that until i buy a second vid card right?

and is it necessarily better to get ATI with AMD and NVIDIA with intel?

Back