Is this yellow or orange?

Yellow or Orange?

• Total voters

IRTxert

n00b
downloadsxo.png

Hi, this is a screenshot from supreme commander. What is the color of the icons circled in black? I say yellow. My friend insists that it's orange. Let's take a poll!.

I think you'll find it's #F6B523. Anyway, looks orange to me on this laptop panel.

isnt gold shiny? :)
(although I agree)

Looks more orange than yellow on my old CRT.
On my Plasma TV, it looks slightly more yellow but I would still call it orange.

If you have calibrated your display to look more blue (ie 6300K), it will look more yellowy.
If you calibrate towards red (ie 4200K) it will look more orangey.

Edit:
many older display are likely to look more red than blue so that can affect the result as well.
This is one reason why my CRT looks very red as it is ancient and is soon to need a heart bypass.

Last edited:
on my lcd it looks orange, on my old crt it looks pale gold....almost a faded gold...thats dull not shiny

jesus h christ

its clearly yellow. Gold is yellow.

if anyone thinks that is orange then they need help

In the realm of Yellow (to me)

It's almost approaching a faint orange but i think orange is a real stretch.

Personally I'd call it marigold. I just sent a picture to get framed and one of the matte colors I picked for it was marigold, and it is quite close to this.

Ruahrc

omg you guys are total nerds! and not in a [H]ard way either

"amber"
"marigold"

THEY ARE SHADES OF YELLOW !!!

Heh, heh, I sometimes argue with my beloved GF about green-blue colours. Like if it is green, blue, turquoise, azure... :)

well, it's amber for sure, but if I had to choose between yellow and orange only, I would have to say it's more orange..

To be honest it's a bit of a silly question when all monitors will show it slightly differently.
Nevertheless, I say yellow.

omg you guys are total nerds! and not in a [H]ard way either

"amber"
"marigold"

THEY ARE SHADES OF YELLOW !!!

So actually "amber" is quite [H]ard. Yellow is often too harsh. Traffic signals are often referred to as red-amber-green. An Ethernet switch may have amber LEDs.

Marigold on the other hand may be a bit on the pliable side.

To be honest it's a bit of a silly question when all monitors will show it slightly differently.
Nevertheless, I say yellow.

Not silly. The color coordinates are known so no matter how it looks on your monitor it is a specific color. I didn't verify the value from previous posts.

Last edited:
I'm gonna go with blue... :)

Let's take a poll on if it really matters if it's orange or not?

Am I missing something?

It's clearly SUPPOSED to be orange. Lets go back to physics 101, and remember what happens when you mix light.

If it were yellow, the red and the green would have equal values. Instead, it favors red by 58. This means it's technically very slightly orange.

Arn't our eyes most sensitive to wavelengths around yellow/green? If you pick a color with exactly same amounts of red & green will the color you see be closer to green? (more yellow than orange)

Arn't our eyes most sensitive to wavelengths around yellow/green? If you pick a color with exactly same amounts of red & green will the color you see be closer to green? (more yellow than orange)

Depends what you mean by more.
More frequencies around red and green or more photons at set frequencies.
More photons will look brighter.

edit:
you rewrote your post so my answer is for the original

that is obviously pink!
tritanopia FTW !!! :)

Back