Isn't my Windows Experience Index a little low?

EarthBrain

Limp Gawd
2gt5jz4.jpg

I just built and installed a fresh Windows 7 OS and ran the Windows Experience Index and found that the score is only 7.1.

I have seen others with weaker hardware but has higher score.

How can I improve it?

A little more detail on the specs:

RAM is Patriot Viper 2 with 12 GB
Patriot Viper II 12 GB (3 X 4 GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 1600 MHz 8-8-8-24 Triple Channel Kit PV2312G1600LLK

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CJTPYS...e=394997&creativeASIN=B003CJTPYS&linkCode=asn

And I only have one hard drive that is the Patriot Koi 128GB SSD that I update the firmware to be compatible with Windows 7 instead of Apple OS.

Sequential Access - Read up to 260MB/s
Sequential Access - Write up to 180MB/s

And the Graphic Card is the ATI HD 5850 Vapor-X.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As long as it's above 1 it doesn't mean anything.

The drives score is weird. My 130mb/s HDD gets 1 away from what my SSD system with similar rates as yours does. I wouldn't worry about it, as it's rather misleading.

WEI is fairly worthless, but FWIW your drive score is holding you back. My Intel X-25M G2 scores 7.5.

Yeah, ignore WEI on higher end rigs. The results can be pretty arbitrary and not representative of the true performance of your system. It's somewhat helpful if you've got some cheap old box from a B&M and you're trying to figure out if it can do basic tasks, but even then, I'd rather use a real benchmarking program.

Yeah, ignore WEI on higher end rigs. The results can be pretty arbitrary and not representative of the true performance of your system. It's somewhat helpful if you've got some cheap old box from a B&M and you're trying to figure out if it can do basic tasks, but even then, I'd rather use a real benchmarking program.

At 2.33gh/z stock my CPU gets 7.6 at 4gh/z OC it gets 7.2...

Maybe it recognizes it as a Core i7, but at non-stock clocks it doesn't recognize the speed, so it defaults to some lower-end Core i7?

WEI = Has no major importance whatsoever in regards to how the PC runs & will not impact gaming or applications based on the hardware at hand...

Looks about right to me.. Seems like your SSD is a bit slow though

His score is in the right range for an Indilinx Barefoot based SSD, especially one that hasn't had any official support from Patriot after it's release(still using old firmware).

You do know the max score right?

Did i read right that you have no HDD? just the 128Gb SSD?

Disk score is holding it down to 7.1, likely due to only being 128GB. Both speed and capacity is measured. Notice the guy with the 160GB SSD has a 7.5?

WEI = Waste

It's not totally useless, it's just not a terribly accurate benchmark. It essentially just generates a score based on your hardware and some basic tests. The idea is that software manufacturers can say you need a score of X to run their software rather than "Intel XYZ 2.5 GHz or equivalent."

It also gives you a convenient hardware overview if you click the "view detailed performance and system info" link.

My score is 5.9, everything scored a 5.9 I find that kinda odd that everything would score the same.

Do differant OS's have a max score? if I upgraded to 7 would my scores increase? Don't worry, I aint going to upgrade just for the score, I been wanting to upgrade for a while.

Last edited:
Vista is limited to 5.9, while 7 is limited to 7.9. Microsoft has said that the limits will be raised as time goes on, probably with each new Windows release.

You score will be higher in 7, with the CPU and RAM in the 7.0-7.4 range. Your harddrive will not go past 5.9, since you need a SSD to get any higher. Your graphics score will probably be near the same, maybe cracking the 6.0 barrier.

By 'crysis', he of course means 'crysis at 2560x1600 fully maxed out with x16 MSAA'

Not sure how I was supposed to know that. I thought running a game simply meant "running a game" So if you run it at medium settings it's not "Crysis" anymore? Weird.

Not sure how I was supposed to know that. I thought running a game simply meant "running a game" So if you run it at medium settings it's not "Crysis" anymore? Weird.

I think he was trying to be funny more than anything else. Don't over-analyze it :rolleyes:

You score will be higher in 7, with the CPU and RAM in the 7.0-7.4 range. Your harddrive will not go past 5.9, since you need a SSD to get any higher. Your graphics score will probably be near the same, maybe cracking the 6.0 barrier.

Yes... I had a RAID 5 array with a bunch of WDC Black drives (4 of them) and it still only scored a 5.9 with Win7.... yeah right.

Back