Issue: desk clamp for thick desk

Pythagorus

Weaksauce
Hey guys,

I purchased an Ergotron 45-245-026 LX Dual Monitor Arm, Side-by-Side for my future desk as I wanted to mount my monitors onto arms.

I eventually found a nice desk, but the desk is 5" thick and the mount supports up to 2.6" (or 3.3" with a hack) in thickness.

What do you guys recommend so that I can mount the desk clamp onto the desk?

My last resort would probably be to try and design another piece to replace the mounting so that I can screw the and tighten the desk clamp properly. The piece that I am talking about is the black piece at the bottom in this picture:

ergotron_lx_dual_side_by_side_arm_p7_600x400.jpg

* EDIT *
For the people who can't see the piece properly, it's shown in this video here at 2:03
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UC37_U_zmJc

Do you guys have any DIY I could do before potentially going to my last resort route, if it is even possible do?

Thank you!

Last edited:
I'd like to throw some ideas at you but it would help if we had a cross-section or picture of the desk you're trying to mount this to. Is it a solid 5" slab?

Use the through-hole mount that came with the arm, and swap out the removable bolt with a longer one.

I'd get a nice C-Clamp or two from the hardware store and throw it on there. Maybe a couple pieces of rubber or something to act as buffers so nothing is scratched, etc.

Yea the 2 solutions i thought of, instead of making a full new piece was

C-Clamp style
Or
Do a metal extension to the piece with 6 holes, 4 that will be screwed in the first part for added solidity and the last will the where the piece will be screwed it to be able to clamp

Assuming the bottom of the desk is flat an extension would definitely be the easiest route. Some thick slotted steel angle (and bolts) should do it, though tubes would be better.
NbpkFSz.png

Just be aware that the clamp becomes more reliant on friction, and more prone to slipping off as you extend it. I don't think the extra few inches would make it unsafe, but maybe check it occasionally.

Yes!

Amazing Mr_Coffee!

Will definitely try that!

Just a clarification, by tubes you mean what exactly?

That mount looks extremely nice. That is going to be my go to when I'm ready to mount mine like that.

These guys:
bWmwKJO.png

Pre-drilled holes are optional and nothing is to scale.

They will be subject to what we'll call a bending force, and the extra cost is negligible for a one-off thing.

I nominate Mr Coffee for the (just made up) [H]ardcore Man of the Month for these drawings and help.

I've rarely seen someone go to such trouble to help another enthusiast.

You win the internet for today.

Mr Coffee

Would something like this work?

Metal Framing Single Slotted

68291-ProductImageURL.jpg

I also realized my desk is empty (not flat at the bottom), so I will have to add a 3 or 4X6 lumber cut it to 5" so I can tie the clamp on it

BTW 2 thumbs up for the drawings! :D

Last edited:
Framing channels are plenty strong; use regular nuts though.

I also realized my desk is empty (not flat at the bottom)
If this will only ever be leaning forward and the springs aren't too stiff there is a lazier option of using a pair of turnbuckles.
Si5kqm2.png

Here's a little update on this:

As per the suggestions I got everywhere I decided to go with a metal plate:
Or5cPr3l.jpg

and since the desk is not full under I put a block of wood to support:
Iv4LnoRl.jpg

Result:
RI8Bp29l.jpg

Back