Issue hooking up my monitor+TV to the 6950

insane111

Limp Gawd
I'm a little new to this so bear with me - I'll try to explain it best I can.

Basically, I'm trying hook up both my ASUS VE276Q monitor and Toshiba 40E200U TV to my ATI 6950 card. My ASUS monitor is hooked up via dual link DVI-D cable, and the Toshiba is hooked up via D-sub cable+DVI adapter.

The issue I'm having is that I cannot set the TV's resolution to 1920x1080. The maximum it will let me set it to is 1360x768. So instead of the VGA cable, I tried hooking it up with HDMI . This fixed the resolution problem. However, the second I plug in the HDMI cable it forcefully disables my ASUS monitor. When I try to go re-enable it, it gives me the error message "Unable to save display settings". Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?

I can tell you my Panasonic will only go up to 1280x1024 on VGA for some reason, it says in the manual have to use HDMI to run at 1920x1080 so I assume yours has a similar limitation going on.

Not sure why your monitor is gteting disabled though, try plugging it in to the other DVI port?

Most HDTVs only support 1024x768 or 1280x1024 over D-SUB. Very few support more than that, you have to use HDMI.

Most HDTVs only support 1024x768 or 1280x1024 over D-SUB. Very few support more than that, you have to use HDMI.

Hmm I figured it was something like that. I would love to use HDMI, but for the life of me I can't figure out why it disables my monitor when doing so. If I could just fix that issue I would be good to go.

Not sure why your monitor is gteting disabled though, try plugging it in to the other DVI port?

Tried it, but no luck :(

edit: aha, I finally got it to work after fiddling around with the settings for a while. For whatever reason, I had to first set it to only show desktop on my ASUS monitor. After that, it successfully let me extend the display to the Toshiba. I was trying to do it the other way around, I'm not sure why there's a difference... but whatever, it works now.

Last edited:
You can't use DVI port 2 and the HDMI together. Switch the DVI to the other port on the card and it will probably work.

Back