IT Resume Thread

this thread is great! i would certainly appreciate some feedback on mine...

it's hosted here in pdf format...

many thanks! :)

edit: had lots of feedback from different places, so the link above now points to a newly re-worked version.

Here is my resume. If you IT guys could give me some feedback and suggestions on what I should do with it I'd appreciate it. I think my IT/Professional experience area could use some work, or breaking/re-categorizing, just not to sure how to lay it all out.
Here it is: My Resume

Aww man, i never knew a thread like this exsists. I will post my resume when i get home. Im just posting now to see if its still active..

Aww man, i never knew a thread like this exsists. I will post my resume when i get home. Im just posting now to see if its still active..

i think the main group of guys who set this up still look in occaisonally - i put mine up at the beginning of december but havent heard anything as you can see. i think a lot of people kinda took this thread as 'whoa, people will write my cv for me' rather than just getting feedback after they had put at least a few hours into it themselves which kinda spoilt things a little. the best advice i could give you is just to echo what others have said here already - and that is to just read the first few pages of the thread a few times to set yourself up with a couple of ideas, then try and write your resume using the tips you've picked up and then post it for specific areas of enhancement. at least thats what i tried to do anyway! good luck! :)

You are spot on atomiser, I haven't put too much time into checking the resumes here in the last few months as I'm a LOT busier now but most of what I see here now has already been covered in previous pages. If any of you are still waiting for comments, I'd suggest you spend the time to read through this thread from the beginning. Sorry guys.

Just a note, you are not nor will ever be a engineer unless you have proper engineering training(engineering degree(not engineering tech)) and have passed tor FE and PE exams,

If you have not done that, then you are not a engineer.

Just because you put a splint on ur kinds broken finger doesn't make ya a doctor.

Also getting a degree in IT or MIS doesnt really show much. If ya havent gone to school yet and plan to. Become a engineer. because to be honest the engineer is going to get the job every time.

Actually, this statement is only true depending on the state you are in. In some states, the term engineer is loosely defined, in some the PE(Professional Engineer) stamp is required for all engineering documents, and in some there are engineer definitions for network engineers, usually requiring CCIE, or equivalent experience. I have spoken to to a person who has taken the FE, PE, and the CCIE, and he said, that by far, the CCIE was the harder test encompassing more actual job knowledge than either the FE or PE.

And getting a degree in IT or MIS, shows quite a bit. The average starting salary for a graduated student from my school in MIS is higher than starting engineers in all fields other than petroleum engineering. MIS starting salaries are pretty much equal to Computer Science at my school as well.

Just a note, you are not nor will ever be a engineer unless you have proper engineering training(engineering degree(not engineering tech)) and have passed tor FE and PE exams,

If you have not done that, then you are not a engineer.

Just because you put a splint on ur kinds broken finger doesn't make ya a doctor.

Also getting a degree in IT or MIS doesnt really show much. If ya havent gone to school yet and plan to. Become a engineer. because to be honest the engineer is going to get the job every time.
Maybe 15 years ago this statement was true, but in todays world where students demand a more hands on college education engineering is taking a backseat, hate to break it to you. Let me explain something to you, and to everyone else here(which they probably already understand).. engineers and IT graduates are a dime a dozen, to weed out candidates that are just "paper" us "engineers" have devised a nifty little thing called the technical interview.

Tell me something, would you rather hire someone with a network engineering degree from an accredited school that cannot even tell you how to perform even the most tedious network tasks, or someone with an IT degree also from an accredited school that can answer 90% of your questions BECAUSE they were trained in BOTH the theory and hands on aspects of the technology. This is the difference between a sterotypical Engineering degree and a specialized degree. Welcome to the real world, neo.

In closing, I have a degree in Information Technology with a concentration in Network Engineering. I have had 4 EXTREME technical interviews with VeriSign, Cisco Systems(grilled by multi-CCIE's), DoD, and one other company that escapes me. I had offers from them all. I have my degree listed as IT:NETWORK ENGINEERING, they have never questioned it.

Murphys,
You're absolutely right, the CCIE will be harder than any network engineering test/class/degree available. Just a CCIE > Network Engineering Masters. For those that wish to question that, go out and work in the field... alot of CCIE's don't even have a BS degree:cool:

xphil3 , where did you go to school?
I went to school in RI, New England Institute of Technology. The school doesn't have a great name but I can tell you this, Im working for Cisco.... my buddy is working infrastructure for Google(he had no prior professional experience, was just kick ass with home experience) and another is working for one of the Big 4. So.... while big colleges with big names may give you a slight(and I stress slight) edge because they can FIND you a job.... it all boils down to how much you know, technically. Experience will ALWAYS outweigh paper, Vivian Thomas is pure proof :)

IT Engineer with McAfee
01/20/2008 to 12/31/2008
Dallas, TX

McAfee Total Protection Engineer: Research, design, installation, support, and compliance responsibilities for the McAfee Total Protection infrastructure: Anti-virus, Anti-SpyWare, Anti-Spam, Host Intrusion Prevention, and Firewall.

Typical Duties May Include: Installing operating system software, patches, and upgrades. Analyzing, troubleshooting, optimizing, fine-tuning, monitoring, and resolving system hardware, software and networking issues (servers and clients).

Knowledge of Active Directory Groups and OUs.

Some SQL Query Development (related to McAfee database).

Proven experience and familiarity with Microsoft Windows 2003 Active Directory, TCP/IP networking, and network services, including: DNS, WINS, and DHCP.

Requires strong people skills along with strong team work, organizational and communication skills.

Role requires: 4-6yrs engineering experience with the McAfee product suite; Experience Leading and Managing; Knowledge of software/hardware engineering principles, software architecture; Knowledge of appropriate business functional area; Experience with implementation methodologies.

The engineer plans and executes engineering development projects, utilizing advanced software and hardware engineering principles, software architecture, as well as various standards. Uses both hardware and software engineering expertise to apply theoretical principles and methodologies to accomplish complex software engineering assignments. Responsible for project planning, design, business analysis, development, test and vendor management.

Must have 4 + yrs of experience with McAfee!

Ability to communicate effectively verbally- 4 (Very Strong) of 5 (Expert)

Ability to work independently- 4 (Very Strong) of 5 (Expert)

Ability to write effectively- 3 (Moderately Strong) of 5 (Expert)

Analytical skills and abilities- 4 (Very Strong) of 5 (Expert)

Attention to Detail- 3 (Moderately Strong) of 5 (Expert)

Capable of relating to individuals at all levels- 3 (Moderately Strong) of 5 (Expert)

Client-server systems, applications, environments and relevant tools/technology- 4 (Very Strong) of 5 (Expert)

Customer support/communication skills- 3 (Moderately Strong) of 5 (Expert)

Exceptional follow-through- 4 (Very Strong) of 5 (Expert)

Experience in standard Microsoft products- 4+ Yrs

Experience in working with external vendors- 3+ Yrs

LAN/WAN networks- 3 (Moderately Strong) of 5 (Expert)

Windows 2003 Server- 3 (Moderately Strong) of 5 (Expert)

IT-General

Windows XP- 4 (Very Strong) of 5 (Expert) and 5+ Yrs

IT-Specialized

Active Directory- 3 (Moderately Strong) of 5 (Expert) and 4+ Yrs

ActiveGroups- 3 (Moderately Strong) of 5 (Expert) and 4+ Yrs

SMS- 2 (Limited Experience) of 5 (Expert) and 1+ Yrs

Thanks and regards

Siva Prasad

(703) 279 4830
[email protected]

Meticular Inc.

7368, Clifton Road,

Clifton VA 20124

www.meticular.com

Meticular is a SEI CMM Level 3 and ISO 9001 - 2000 certified company. We work in United States of America; India; Columbia; and East Europe.

I know this is a resume thread but I need help with a cover letter. Critique away!

January 26, 2008

Entry Level Consulting
COMPANYNAME – CITY Office
HIRE ME Street
CITY, STATE ZIP

Dear COMPANYNAME,

I am very interested in the Consulting position you have posted in the Careers section of your website, particularly the Technology Consulting group. After researching what is required to become a successful consultant I am very eager to break into the field. Because of my interest in consulting I wanted to learn which companies were at the top of the industry and COMPANYNAME’s name was mentioned numerous times. Consultants surveyed across the globe ranked COMPANYNAME as being one of the most prestigious consulting firms and one of the best at formally training its employees.

Having been a double major, earning a degree in Computer Information Systems and Business Management I believe I have a great foundation to build upon at COMPANYNAME. Courses like System Analysis & Design and Advanced Systems Design allowed me to get hands on experience analyzing business processes and then reengineering them to make the company more efficient and profitable. I have applied the Project Management Life Cycle to case studies and also to a local business near my college. I was elected to be a Project Manager and my team successfully created a new data entry system for the company resulting in me earning the highest grade amongst the project managers. I started out gaining experience in IT by finishing at the top of my Networking Essentials class that was sponsored by Microsoft in high school. As a result of that I was directed to apply for a help desk position at the local community college where I was hired and promoted after only a month to the position of Network Administrator’s Assistant at the age of 16. While in college I offered to work for a company as a Network Analyst on weekends for no pay just to gain more experience. After two months I was offered a salaried fulltime position. These are just a few examples of the drive I have to gain experience and learn. A drive I feel that would be a greatly appreciated by other COMPANYNAME consultants.

Consulting is a very demanding profession and it requires a certain type of person to be one let alone a successful one. I feel I’m the type of person that can not only become a successful consultant but a real asset to COMPANYNAME as well. By nature I have a love for travel and technology and a real skill when it comes to problem solving. I have the need to feel challenged and to contribute to any team I’m a part of. Consulting will be a very rewarding field for me and there is no better company for me to start my career with then COMPANYNAME. Thank you for your time, I hope that we can schedule an interview so that we may discuss the position further.

Sincerely,

Turk80

I know this is a resume thread but I need help with a cover letter. Critique away!

Ok, I'll bite. I think the cover letter is too long. Understand that a cover letter is nothing more than a "hello, here's my resume" kind of thing with just a small dash of "BTW, my resume has stuff in it that you're looking for" wording. I'll give you an example...

My name is so-and-so and I'm interested in your open position of a worker-b as posted here-and-there and have attached my resume to this letter for your consideration.

As my resume will show, I have X years of worker-b experience doing blah-blah-blah, in addition, I also have Y years experience doing this-and-that.

I look forward to talking with you in person to answer any questions you may have or discus how my skills may benefit your organization's goals. Please feel free to contact me anytime...

It shouldn't be too much work getting through a cover letter. All you're doing (besides introducing yourself) is making a quick and easy connection between your resume and their open job listing verbiage. This will give the reader a quick head's-up of stuff to look for (or if they shouldn't waste their time going any further).

Alright here is another go.

Dear COMPANYNAME,

My name is Turk and I am very interested in the Entry Level Consulting position you have posted in the Careers section of your website, particularly Technology Consulting group. After researching what is required to become a successful consultant I am very eager to break into the field. My research also led me to learn which companies were at the top of the industry and COMPANYNAME’s name was mentioned numerous times. Consultants surveyed across the globe ranked COMPANYNAME as being one of the most prestigious consulting firms and one of the best at formally training its employees.

Having been a double major, earning a degree in Computer Information Systems and Business Management I believe I have a great foundation to build upon at COMPANYNAME. Courses like System Analysis & Design and Advanced Systems Design allowed me to get hands on experience analyzing business processes and reengineering them. I have applied the Project Management Life Cycle to case studies and also to a local company near my college earning me the highest grade amongst those elected as project managers. Consulting is a very demanding profession and it requires a certain type of person to be one let alone a successful one. I feel I’m the type of person that can not only become a successful consultant but a real asset to COMPANYNAME as well. By nature I have a love for travel and technology and a real skill when it comes to problem solving. I have the need to feel challenged and to contribute to any team I’m a part of.

This all leads me to believe consulting will be a very rewarding field for me and there is no better company for me to start my career with then COMPANYNAME. Thank you for your time, I hope that we can schedule an interview so that we may discuss the position further.

Sincerely,

Turk

On another note.... is anyone familiar with vault.com? I'm doing research on all the consulting firms out there and I'm wondering how legit or accurate their info is.

...After researching what is required to become a successful consultant I am very eager to break into the field...

I wouldn't mention "entry-level" or even hint at it unless it is specified by their job opening wording.

...My research also led me to learn which companies were at the top of the industry and COMPANYNAME’s name was mentioned numerous times. Consultants surveyed across the globe ranked COMPANYNAME as being one of the most prestigious consulting firms and one of the best at formally training its employees...

Waste of time. There is no need to impress them with your research skills -nor to flatter them with how great you think they are. Just get to the point.

...I feel I’m the type of person that can not only become a successful consultant but a real asset to COMPANYNAME as well...

I would stop saying things like "I feel" or "I think" or "I believe". Say it like you mean it: "I am the type of person that..." On resumes and at interviews, saying things like "I feel that..." comes across as a weak position or one you're unsure of. Say what you truly believe as fact -because it is!

Other than that sort of thing, I think your cover letter is a great improvement and still does a pretty decent job of getting to the point. I like how you mention that you're the type of person that likes both travel and tech. Very good thing to bring up if you're going to be doing consulting. In addition, even though your background is still getting it's legs, you still do a good job of conveying your DEMONSTRATED abilities by mentioning your grades and local accomplishments. All very good and measurable.

Good luck!

Thanks thats some good input. Here is the new and improved version!

January 28, 2008

Entry Level Consulting - City, State – 00036302

COMPANY NAME – CITY Office
123 MONEY MAKER Street
CITY, STATE #####

Dear COMPANYNAME,

My name is Turk and I am very interested in the Entry Level Consulting position you have posted in the Careers section of your website, particularly the Technology Consulting group. After researching what is required to become a successful consultant I am very eager to break into the field. Consultants surveyed across the globe ranked COMPANYNAME as being one of the most prestigious consulting firms and one of the best at formally training its employees which brought me to apply for this position.

Having been a double major, earning a degree in Computer Information Systems and Business Management I have a great foundation to build upon at COMPANYNAME. Courses like System Analysis & Design and Advanced Systems Design allowed me to get hands on experience analyzing business processes and reengineering them. I have applied the Project Management Life Cycle to case studies and also to a local company near my college earning me the highest grade amongst those elected as project managers. Consulting is a very demanding profession and it requires a certain type of person to be one let alone a successful one. Combine my experience with my strong record of professional advancement and I am the type of person that can not only become a successful consultant but a real asset to COMPANYNAME as well. By nature I have a love for travel and technology and a real skill when it comes to problem solving. I have the need to feel challenged and to contribute to any team I’m a part of.

With my type A personality consulting will be a very rewarding field for me and there is no better company for me to start my career with then COMPANYNAME. Thank you for your time, I will be in contact to explore the possibility of an interview or if you like you can contact me at (###) ### - ####.

Sincerely,

Turk

Might as well throw up my resume for review too.

resume1.jpg

resume2.jpg

Might as well throw up my resume for review too.
I'm confused by your certifications section. If you have not completed the certification, you should not be listing it on your resume. If you have completed them, I would dump the in progress ones.

Work Desired: Full Time - Permanent
Citizenship: US Citizen
Resident Of: State:
Willing To Relocate: Yes
Experience: More than Six years of work-experience
Technical Skills: LAN/Networking, System Administration, Project Management, Computer, Cryptographic Systems, and Electronic Principles
Work Experience: Six Years

SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS

• Security+ Certified (COMP001006736490)
• A+ Certified (COMP001006736490)
• Sun Solaris Certified System Administrator for Solaris 9.
• Six years experience in the Information Technology Industry
(Windows/UNIX/Telecom/Cisco).
• Have experience with administering Cisco routers and Dial-Back Up (CSU/DSU).
• Good experience with Windows 95-WinXP, NT 4.0( Server/Workstation) and Microsoft Windows 2003 Server (Active Directory/NetIQ)
• Proven experience as a reliable team player in the military and private sector.
• Active Top-Secret(SCI)- Level Security Clearance (DOD/NSA).
• Wide range of experience in troubleshooting software and hardware problems (Windows/UNIX/Cisco).
• Ability to adapt and improvise in business critical IT environments (SUN Microsystems/Cisco).

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE

2006 – Present

Systems Administrator
2/2007 – Present, Fort Monmouth, NJ
• Perform network (LAN/WAN) and systems administration functions including installation, management, and maintenance of hardware (ie, servers, bridges, routers) and software components (e.g., gateways, LAN Manager, network operating systems)
• Build networks and maintain external and internal web presence, administer the networks
• Performs system backups on internal and external web network servers.
• Install new software releases, system upgrades, evaluate and installs patches and resolve software related problems
• Maintains data files and monitor system configuration to ensure data Integrity
• Configure network for client(s) need

2003 - 2006

Computer, Network, and Cryptographic Systems
11/2004 – Present USAF, Glendale, AZ
• Sustain network infrastructure, cryptographic equipment, and deployable switching systems in a fixed and deployed environment. Sustains and operates systems through effective troubleshooting, repair, diagnostics and system performance analysis.

2005-2005

Computer Network Technician
5/2005 - 9/2005 USAF, Washington, D.C.
• Contributed to the 100% effectiveness rate for fighters, support aircraft, radar, and computer monitoring systems while troubleshooting, maintaining, and controlling classified and unclassified systems assuring 100% equipment uptime. Coordinated repairs on Enhanced Regional Situation Awareness System cameras that secured Nation Capital Region airspace and maintained all critical mission circuits for Army, Air Force, and Department of Defense personnel worth over $12.8M with zero faults. Installed secondary Air Defense Sector Interrogator System which provided enhanced capability to radar systems in the National Capital Region while providing system troubleshooting procedures.

MILITARY EXPERIENCE

U.S. Air Force, McGuire AFB, NJ (Air National Guard)
2006 – Present

Computer, Network, and Cryptographic Switching Systems
• Perform duties implemented by supervisor.
• Maintain Squadron Network Infrastructure.
• Provide hardware and software support to end-users.
• Provide Audio/Visual support for Fort Dix.

U.S. Air Force, Phoenix, Arizona
2003-2006

Computer, Network, and Cryptographic Switching Systems
Main duty was to install configure and administrate a tactical LAN which
entailed:
• Supervisor on night shift rotation.
• Configuring TCP/IP on multiple C 420 laptops.
• Provided hardware and software support to end-users.
• Participated in the computer and software audit of over 300 computer systems.
• Prepared and presented proposals for the purchase of capital equipment.
• Completed a course in Introduction to Networking and Network Planning Course.
• A+ Certified (COMP001006736490)
• Completed the Cisco Certification (CCNA) Course.

EDUCATION / TRAINING

• SUN Microsystems
1. SUN Enterprise Server Maintenance, Fort Huachuca, AZ, 2005
2. Intermediate System Administration for the Solaris 9 Operating Environment,
Fort Huachuca, AZ, 2005

• Network Technologies
1. IA Technical Level 1 and 2 Training System Administrator Management, Fort Monmouth, NJ
2. Security+ Technical Training, Fort Monmouth, NJ
3. Introduction to CISCO Router Configuration, Biloxi, AZ, 2004

SECURITY CLEARANCE

• Active Top Secret-Level/SCI Clearance (DOD/NSA)

TECHNICAL SKILLS

Router
Juniper M10
Cisco 7206
Cisco 3745
Cisco 3640

Switches
Cisco 6509
Cisco 2948
Cisco 4006
Cisco 4003

Configuration Management
Alterpoint
Intermapper (Software)
Visio Network Enterprise 2003

NIDS - Network Intrusion Detection Systems (All Signature Based)
Real Secure NIDS (Software)
Dragon NIDS (Software)
Counteract

HIDS - Host Intrusion Detection Systems
eEyeBlink HIDS/NIDS (Software)
Dragon HIDS (Software)

NIDP - Network Intrusion Detection and Prevention Systems (All Signature Based)
Strataguard (SW)
Tipping Point IDP (HW)
Active Scout (HW positioned outside FW, blocks attacks)
Nfr(sentivist) (HW & SW)

File System Integrity
TripWire - File Integrity Checker (Software)

FW – Firewalls
Checkpoint (Software FW)
Sidewinder G2
Proventia ISS
Symantec
Cisco Pix - PIX Firewall Version 6.3(5) / PIX Device Manager 3.0(4)

Network Forensics Analysis Tool
NikSun NetDetector (HW)
SAN – Storage Area Network
Etherpeek
Ethereal

Forensic Analysis
Encase Enterprise Edition (Software)
Antivirus
MacAfee- v8.0i
Symantec- v3.0.1 / Build 20193

Raid / Data Protection
HP Proliant DL380
Ghost Enterprise Solution
Alterpoint
Syslog Auditing
Intermapper
HP Robotic Tape Library
Logicube Omni Clone IDE HD Duplicator
IMAGE MASSter - 3004

Hard Drive Wiper
cyberCide®

VoIP (Voice and Video oIP)
Protocols –
VoIP - H323, H225
VoIP - Session Initial Protocol (SIP)
Cisco IP Phone 7940G
Cisco 3745 VoIP Router(s)

Bandwidth Speeds
FastEther: 10/100 mbps
GBIT: 1000mbps (only on select OOB MGMT segments)
T1: 1.544 mbps

Network Protocols - IEEE Standards 802.3 Ethernet
802.3i 10 BaseT
802.3u 100 BaseT
802.3ab 1000 BaseT
802.3z 1000 Base-X (Fiber)
802.3ac VLAN (802.1q)

POTS Knowledge
3COM NBX100 PBX
Three T1 Digital Line cards, One E1 Digital Line Card, One Analog Terminal Card (POTS Line Access)
Modem – ITU (V.90, V.92 - 56K) (V.34 - 33.6K)
ISDN
FAX

Precision Time Standard
Endrun Tech NTP Server - uses CDMA technology to obtain time

IPV4 / IPV6
Backbone is IPV6 capable, need to install and configure hosts and 1-2 domains to implement.

Application Layer Protocols (OSI 7)
HTTP
HTTPS
SMTP
SNMP
POP
NTP
FTP
ICMP
NNTP
TELNET
SSH
RTSP

Operating Systems

Solaris Sun Spark
UNIX Gateway Servers, V440
Linux (Red Hat 9, SuSE, Fedora, RHEA 4,5, Ubuntu)
Windows 3.11 –98se
Windows XP
Windows ME
Windows NT 4.0
Windows 2000
Windows 2003 Server
Windows Vista

Application/Software

Microsoft Office Suite
Star Office Suite
MS Exchange
HP Open View
Adobe Photoshop CS2
Adobe Image Ready
WS_FTP

Work Desired: Full Time - Permanent...

Too long. Waaaay too long. You're trying to overkill your qualifications. Remember that some poor soul has to read this stuff! I hate to say it but I'd suggest reading through this entire thread and get an idea of how a combination resume could concisely trim this resume down to a single page or easy reading. I'd keep this version around for the occasional dude that wants the full laundry list of experience though.

In the Minneapolis,MN area

In need of a Systems Engineer.

High growth Digital Media Company looking for Network/Systems Engineer: The candidate must be a forward thinker and a highly motivated individual with exceptional customer service skills and the ability to multi-task technical projects.

RESPONSIBILITIES:

* Provide superior customer service while developing and
maintaining relationships.
* Ability to adapt to customer’s network environment and
provide technical recommendations.
* Manage and support corporate LAN/WAN.
* Support and maintain external client installations and relationships.
* Maintain and support backup procedures.
* Ability to lead and train peers.
* Multi-task in a highly competitive market.
* Develop and maintain vendor relationships.
* Provide “24x7” support to the corporate LAN/WAN
environment and external clients.
* 50%+ travel required at times.

Good for people that like to travel, be "hands on" with technology, or just starting out there IT career. please send resumes to me at [email protected].

Anyone want to help me spice up my resume? I'm going to be turning it in this afternoon.
I'm already employeed as HelpDesk, but looking to move up the ladder a bit by changing companies.
resume link:
www.thousandwatts.com/resume.doc

I basically suck at these things. So, anything you can do to help would be appreciated.:cool:

Summary is too long --really isn't a summary at that length. Get rid of "references available..." of course they are. If you have to turn it in this afternoon, just go ahead and do it. Don't worry about it. The best thing you can do at this point is read through this entire thread. Most of what you can learn has already been talked about here. Sorry for the huge task but it's the best we have at the time being. I've just not had the free time needed to truly complete my resume writing guide for the web so the tips and comments here are the best we can do.

Good luck and let us all know how it goes!

Hi wondering if someone could critique my resume. Thanks :)

Personal Details

Name
Address
Mobile

Resume
Summary

An IT Support specialist with 2.5 years proven experience installing, configuring, and maintaining Windows based systems and networks. Skilled in hardware/software setup and network/application support.

Skills

Operating and network systems

Installation, configuration, administration and support of Windows XP/Vista workstations and Windows 2003 Servers. Installation configuration and support for Macintosh OS 8-10. Setup of Linux workstations, experience with linux web servers. Windows TCP/IP networking and associated protocols. Wired and wireless LAN setup/support.

Software

Microsoft Active Directory, Microsoft SQL server 2000, Symantec Ghost, Microsoft Office 2000/2003/2007, Microsoft Outlook 2000/2003, Microsoft Visio, Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft FrontPage, Adobe Acrobat, NewSid, Symantec client firewall, Symantec Antivirus, Microsoft SharePoint. Symantec Backup Exec 10d/11d, RIS, Trend Micro Security, Citrix, Terminal Services, Microsoft Activesync, Interwoven Filesite,

Work Experience

IT Support - XXXXXXX Law firm (Nov 2007 - Present)

Primary support person for the largest litigation case in XXXXXXX history. XXXXX vs XXXXX case
- Responsible for supporting 100+ users over 3 buildings
- Responsible for all hardware/software relate queries and problems
- Responsible for imaging and deploying 50 PCs for the XXXXX case
- Responsible for troubleshooting LAN issues
- Responsible for patch panelling phones and network points

Remote office specialist, creating, configuring and deploying IT systems outside of Melbourne
- Responsible for imaging and deploying PCs for all Citrix and Terminal Server offices
- Responsbile for supporting remote users and troubleshooting Citrix/Terminal server issues
- Experience with Citrix Administration
- Responsible for the setup of the Sunshine Coast office based on 3G wireless networking
- Required to travel to offices between Canberra and Cairns to solve technical issues that cannot be resolved remotely
- Responsible for the deployment of 60 PCs for the Sydney Office and installation of custom software
- Responsible for troubleshooting WAN issues.

Responsible for the firm's back up systems and restorations
- Experience with backup systems and network storage devices
- Experience with Symantec Backup Exec 10d/11d software
- Responsible for main Melbourne office backups using LTO 1/2/4 tapes
- Responsible for ensuring backup procedures are followed in remote office locations by creating backup schedules
- Responsible for transferring backups to off site locations, and transfer of tapes between offices in case of disaster
- Reponsible for restoring lost files and data for all offices.

Secondary support to the rest of XXXXXX law firm
- Responsible for supporting 400+ users in 12 locations
- Experience in managing and troubleshooting networked printers
- Experience in video conferencing and conference calls
- Responsible for network and application support
- Proven experience in managing Active Directory and Microsoft Exchange on a Windows Server 2003 environment
- Experience with configuring and installing servers in various RAID configurations
- Experience in installation and configuration of laptops and desktops
- Proven ability to quickly and methodically resolve technical and user related issues
- Ability to develop clear and concise documentation
- Experience with Squid proxy server

Computer Technician – XXXXXXXXXXX Secondary College (Jan 2006 – Nov 2007)

Local support for 90 staff and 830 students.
Install and maintain over 100 laptops and 300 desktop PCs.
Support with all technical issues such as application errors, network connectivity issues, printing problems and other troubleshooting needs.
Designed, created and maintained school internet and intranet websites.
Implemented and managed Cluster SharePoint server as well as migrating current intranet site to SharePoint.
Provide all needed software and hardware training to current and new employees..
Assisted implementations of ISP changeover, including school email accounts and website transfer.
Managed internet content filtering and internet user accounts.
Managed all ordering and repairs/warranties of IT equipment and related peripherals
Manage rollovers for employee laptop and classroom desktop machines, by creating and deploying images with Symantec Ghost.
Import/Export data to/from attendance, timetable, reporting and Cases21 databases.
Setup equipment for meetings and presentations including Westside theatre setup for community events.
Create and maintaining user accounts and group policy in Active Directory
Setup and configure electronic whiteboards.
Creating custom length network cables and crossover cables.

**************(I think I will get rid of this bit)********
Nightfill/Petrol Assistant – Safeway XXXXXXXXX (Aug 2000 – Jan 2006)

Often worked autonomously.
Responsibility in the form of cash handling.
Direct contact with customers.
Handling customer complaints and queries.
Maintain good customer service skills with locals.
Responsible for ordering stock for entire supermarket.
Was acting Duty manager in charge of a team of shop assistants.

Education

Bachelor degree - Latrobe University, Bendigo, Australia (Nov 2007)
Information Technology: Computer Networks

MCP (May 2008)
70-270 Windows XP Professional

Certificates & Awards

Selected for LaTrobe University Industry Experience Year at XXXXXXXXX Seconday College in 2006
Golden Key membership for being in the top 15% of all Latrobe University students 2003.
Attended National young leaders’ day 2000.

Any suggestions? I am after a network admin/systems admin role

Well my suggestion would be to read through this entire thread. The main issue I see with your present resume is that it is a "chronological" format. Considering all the detail in your previous work history, it's too much to read just to find out if you can manage Cisco switches for instance. Making a "combination" resume (as talked about here previously many times along with examples) would get to the point much faster. The idea is to list your skills first -and in a decent amount of detail including your years of experience and level of skill. Then your work history is just a one-line-per-job list at the bottom just for reference. Check out some of the examples here as well. Believe me, as someone who reads resumes all the time, it will get your name noticed in a good way!

This thread helped me land my first IT job. Now I hope it will help me land another one. I have been doing IT Help Desk\Jr. System Administration. I perform just about all the tasks that my Supervisor does which is monitoring the network and 10 servers. However, most of the time I am either chasing down printer issues or moving someone's keyboard.

I have been doing this job for almost a year and feel it is not as challenging as I would like it to be and I do more things (printer stuff) than the hardware and server support. Most of my day is just fixing a printer jam or something. I feel that my time is being wasted and I am not in the environment that I can really learn and apply knowledge.

I honestly don't care if someone's mouse doesn't move fast enough. What makes me a little sick is a guy I know does autocad for a company in Texas and make 3-4x what I make and he has an Associates Degree in Spanish. :( He just draws pipes.

There is no room for advancement in this position and I just honestly feel like I am wasting my time. I know this is an IT Resume thread and not a rant thread; I just felt like I needed to put my words out.

No problem. I hear you. I think many of us have all been there. I'd suggest you keep your chin up; at least you HAVE a job. It will take many years to land the job that will truly challenge you for sure. There's that "pay your dues" thing that usually happens in the working world before someone will trust you to kick a really challenging problem in the ass. I'd also suggest that you continue looking for work. I've been happily employed at my present job for over 4 years now and I can't imagine leaving here, but I still look -in fact, I look EVERY DAY. Don't limit yourself just because someone gave in and hired you for the time being -and don't wait for a layoff to look elsewhere. I have lost so many opportunities in the past because I either wasn't looking at the time or didn't want to "abandon" the employer I currently had (although the employer didn't have such values towards me or anyone else they used).

Glad to hear this thread has helped you too!! Good luck.

No problem. I hear you. I think many of us have all been there. I'd suggest you keep your chin up; at least you HAVE a job. It will take many years to land the job that will truly challenge you for sure. There's that "pay your dues" thing that usually happens in the working world before someone will trust you to kick a really challenging problem in the ass. I'd also suggest that you continue looking for work. I've been happily employed at my present job for over 4 years now and I can't imagine leaving here, but I still look -in fact, I look EVERY DAY. Don't limit yourself just because someone gave in and hired you for the time being -and don't wait for a layoff to look elsewhere. I have lost so many opportunities in the past because I either wasn't looking at the time or didn't want to "abandon" the employer I currently had (although the employer didn't have such values towards me or anyone else they used).

Glad to hear this thread has helped you too!! Good luck.

Well, I designed and built 3 new servers for them and redesigned the rack cabinet and cable management, configured Microsoft's DPM for them, configure LAN and new wireless network. Also repaired failed arrays and crashed Domain Server, so I get to play with the important stuff. The main complaint isn't that what I have done is not challenging, there is weeks that I have nothing to do which make the days long and I drive and hour to and from work. I need a job that I stay active and in a larger area.

Alright, here I go with mine. I PM'd jmroberts and asked him to assess, however I welcome any opinions.

I have read quite a bit of this thread. Unfortunately, many of the resumes from the first few pages aren't available for viewing anymore (obviously I mean the ones that aren't posted directly in the thread). So some of the advice given is hard to apply since I can't see what exactly it is going towards. I do like the idea of categorizing my qualifications, however I don't think they're really broad enough to pull that off.

Since I've never held an IT position (aside from the brief work listed in the resume), I did what my wife (and a headhunter) suggested and put all my IT experience before my work history. I'm also thinking my work history is a bit lengthy, but I was hoping to get another opinion on that.

(One thing I'd like to note: I put 'per diem' for the dates I was employed by the first company listed, because I've only worked for them twice. It's basically "we'll call if and when we need you" sort of thing. I'd probably work full time for them but I'm not willing to relocate. So I have done some part time work for them, and probably will again in the future.)

-------------------------------------------

MYNAMEHERE

15 xxxx Street • Springfield, MA 01104 • [email protected] • 413-xxx-xxxx

KEY QUALIFICATIONS

• CompTIA A+ Certified IT Technician; CompTIA Network+ Certification
• Twelve years experience installation, configuration, and troubleshooting Windows environments (9x/ME/2000/XP/Vista)
• One year experience in Linux environments, mostly Fedora Core and Ubuntu
• Possess in-depth knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite
• Five years experience with troubleshooting, cabling, installation and administration of small wired and wireless network environments
• Twelve years experience with all forms of desktop computer hardware, including motherboard, processor (both AMD and Intel), NIC, printer, PSU, RAM, and storage device installation and troubleshooting
• One year experience with setting up and testing systems through the use of Virtual Machines, including establishing client/server relationships
• Experience with Antivirus software, including McAfee, Norton, AVG, and Avast!
• Experience with rack-mount server installation and wiring

WORK EXPERIENCE

xxxxxxx, Norwood, MA Per Diem

Cable Technician/Wireless Systems Installer
Help plan, initiate, and carry out infrastructure installations, including break-down and set-up of servers, cabling, and workstations based on pre-defined layout. Maintained quality standards and procedures throughout projects.

Key Achievements:
• Assisted in datacenter migration, involving the complete disassembly of over thirty rack-mount servers and workstations. This included UTP, STP, coaxial, and fiber optic cable management and installation. Servers were reinstalled based on specific customer requirements in a complex setup. Helped to wire servers to switches, KVMs, routers, and power units.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Agawam, MA January 2005 – Current

Shipping Clerk
Manage the invoicing of all freight shipments, including assuring that routing guidelines are followed, checking orders for discrepancies, and keeping abreast of various freight regulations. Manage the loading and unloading of trailers and safe operation of material handling equipment. Responsible for warehouse space management, including consistent modification of the order staging area during heavy shipping weeks. In the absence of the supervisor, must maintain department operations and ensure all freight ships in a timely fashion and all orders are properly allocated. Occasionally responsible for training new employees.

Key Achievements:
• Oversaw the receiving and shipping of outsourced product from the west coast. Initiated the shipping process and assisted in keeping orders to customer specifications. Also helped to facilitated communications between the east and west coast locations.
• Assisted in the implementation of money-saving procedural changes for order picking through research of various customer routing guides. This resulted in lower materials and labor cost, which includes time saved physically picking orders as well as reducing pallet count per order.
• Personally researched the cause of several fines based on inappropriate order cube measurements being entered during the routing process. Discovered what the exact customer requirements were from their routing guide and helped to correct the problem, which also assisted in streamlining the routing process.

xxxxxxxxxxx, Agawam, MA April 2004 – January 2005

Shipper
Main responsibility was to pick product to fill customer orders. This included the use of scan guns to maintain accuracy, constructing secure pallets, and adhering to various customer requirements in regards to carton labels, skid height, and address placard placement. Responsible operation of material handling equipment was also required.

Key Achievements:
• Responsible for the proper picking and on-time shipping of several large product rollouts.
• Helped simplify the picking process by making suggestions to move around pick locations based on product demand.
• Took part in the inventory process by assisting in cycle counts and helping to resolve discrepancies.

TARGET CORPORATION, Enfield, CT October 2001 – April 2004

Logistics/Flow Team
Responsible for unloading trucks and segregation of product by department for backroom storage and stocking shelves. Managed product placement on risers for various departments, including the seasonal setup for the toys and electronics sections. Assisted in picking daily generated batch orders, as well as storing product at appropriate locations in the backroom after the shelves had been filled. Occasionally assisted the pricing team in pricing and plan-o-gram changes.

Key Achievements:
• Implemented a location system for product placed on risers using scannable barcodes. This assisted in product location during the holiday season.
• Reorganized the temporary storage area for backroom product during truck unloads to be much more efficient and simple.

EDUCATION / TRAINING

Associate of Science in Computer Information Technology • Springfield Technical Community College, in progress
• GPA 3.9 as of 05/2008
• Dean’s List, Spring 2008 semester

Asnuntuck Community College, attended classes 1996-1999

CompTIA A+ Certified IT Technician

CompTIA Network+ Certified

Alright ghostchamber, your resume is what I would classify a classic "chronological" format. That's where the problem is. There are many weaknesses to that format but the one that hurts you the most is the fact that your experience isn't that easy to convey if all you have to work with is a detailed "job history". Using a "combination" resume (as I've shown several times on this thread) will do you right. If anyone has a problem with not wanting to accept your experience because you weren't paid for it (not that I think most will even notice this fact), then run away from that company like your life depended on it (unless it's a government job and you're not looking to do anything more than pull a paycheck and sit around all day trying to "look busy"). If the hiring people are so stupid to think that it is impossible to gain experience unless it is gleaned directly from employment, you're going to have a hard, long, and painful employment there if you are actually hired. Not worth it IMO.

So, check out some of the examples on this thread (I think I even posted an old version of my own resume here a few pages back for some ideas). The basic outline is this:

1) summary - 1-2 sentences about yourself in a brief nutshell
2) skills - sort out your skills into categories and then flesh them out
3) work history - 1 line per job. nothing more
4) stuff - awards, certifications other than in the skills, favorite color, blood type, etc... ;-)

Good luck!

2) skills - sort out your skills into categories and then flesh them out
This is the one part I'm not sure about. I don't have a wide range of skills I could really categorize like you did in your resume. Actually, it's really that there are skills I don't wish to put in there because they're not relevant. For instance, I can drive a forklift (and other pieces of material equipment), but I don't want to put that in there because it is not something I'm looking to do.

Do you have any suggestions? Maybe I can something like "Hardware" and "Software?"

This is the one part I'm not sure about. I don't have a wide range of skills I could really categorize like you did in your resume. Actually, it's really that there are skills I don't wish to put in there because they're not relevant. For instance, I can drive a forklift (and other pieces of material equipment), but I don't want to put that in there because it is not something I'm looking to do.

Do you have any suggestions? Maybe I can something like "Hardware" and "Software?"

Well I wouldn't rule out driving a forklift. I'd at least leave it towards the end of your list under a category like "practical" or something. From what I see on your skills list originally, I'd say there's a "desktop" "networking" and "applications" category to start with. Your desktop category can cover the hardware and software portions, the networking category can cover your server and wiring setup experience, and applications can cover Office, and desktop support experience.

Well I wouldn't rule out driving a forklift. I'd at least leave it towards the end of your list under a category like "practical" or something. From what I see on your skills list originally, I'd say there's a "desktop" "networking" and "applications" category to start with. Your desktop category can cover the hardware and software portions, the networking category can cover your server and wiring setup experience, and applications can cover Office, and desktop support experience.
That is some good advice, and I think I'll go with it. I will re-post my updated resume when I'm finished with it.

I was also thinking of adding some sort of Communication and/or Organization section that can be an amalgam of different skills I've picked up over the years.

Ok, here is my re-written resume based on jm's recommendations. I actually used your resume as a sort of template (I hope you don't mind):

COREY M. SLACK

15 xxxx Street • Springfield, MA 01104 • [email protected] • xxx-xxx-xxxx

SUMMARY
A versatile computer professional with 10 years of experience drawing upon a wide range of practical, problem-solving, and technical skills.

QUALIFICATIONS
DESKTOP: CompTIA A+ Certified IT Technician with over 10 years experience in designing, integrating, and maintaining desktop PC environments. This includes experience with installing all aspects of computer hardware, including processors, motherboards, RAM, storage devices, and PSUs. Also excel at troubleshooting many common and uncommon desktop errors.
Operating System fluency: Windows 9x/2000/XP/Vista and Linux (Ubuntu, Fedora).

APPLICATION: Extensive experience with the Microsoft Office 97/2000/2003 Suite (Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Access), as well as email clients Mozilla Thunderbird, Microsoft Outlook, and Lotus Notes. Experience with setting up and testing virtual machines using VMWare Server/Workstation, Virtualbox, and MS VirtualPC. Also have some moderate experience with Adobe Photoshop and MS Visual Studio.

NETWORK: Comptia Network+ Certification, with over 5 years experience in small wired and wired network environments. This includes network design, wiring, installation, and administration as well as implementation of wireless security features. Also have versatile experience with all types of cabling (Coax, STP, UTP, Fiber) and installation and wiring of rack-mount servers.

WORK HISTORY
• Cable Technician/Systems Installer (March 2008 - Present, per diem) Ascio Wireless, Norwood, MA
• Shipping Clerk (January 2005 - Present) xxxxxxx Company, Agawam, MA
• Shipper (April 2004 - January 2005) xxxxx Company, Agawam, MA
• Customer Service Representative (November 2002 – January 2004) Blockbuster, Springfield, MA
• Logistics/Flow Team (October 2001 - April 2004) Target Corporation, Enfield, CT
• Supervisor (February 2001 - September 2001) Signature Flight Support, Windsor Locks, CT
• Lead (May 2000 – February 2001) Signature Flight Support, Windsor Locks, CT
• Flight Line Technician (April 1999 – May 2000) Signature Flight Support, Windsor Locks, CT

EDUCATION / TRAINING / AFFILIATIONS
Associate of Science in Computer Information Technology, STCC (in progress)
• GPA 3.9 as of May 2008
• Dean’s List, Spring 2008
Asnuntuck Community College, attended classes 1996 - 1999
Signature Flight University, Leadership Training 2001
CompTIA A+ Certified IT Technician • CompTIA Network+ Certification
Martial Arts training/instruction, US Taekwondo Center 2005 - Present
Emergency Medical Technician--Basic, 2000 - 2002

NOTES:

It all fits neatly onto one page, but I had to use a smaller font for the work history section. I think it looks alright though.

I did earn the EMT certification, but I never worked as one (too chicken). Nonetheless, I feel it is worth mentioning.

Please comment ASAP. There's at least two jobs I saw on Monster.com that I wish to apply for.

Back