It's back! Dell SC420 server w/Celeron 325J and 40GB SATA $229 + free shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
markr64 said:
You need to turn off the "Power Management" and remove the check "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

That should take care of this issue.
markr64

And this is where in fedora 3? [Which is what RedHat Enterprise Linux is based off of - which is a supported OS]

Laforge said:
And this is where in fedora 3? [Which is what RedHat Enterprise Linux is based off of - which is a supported OS]

Have you tried running windows on the computer? This could possibly rule out any hardware issues.

15 pages and counting...

joecool234 said:
Have you tried running windows on the computer? This could possibly rule out any hardware issues.

15 pages and counting...

So.. you are recommending as a fix for a piece of hardware being turned off as formatting and installing a completely different operating system? Rather than just toggle on/off the software option that allows the piece of equipment to be turned off?

Isn't that like re-painting your car because the engine has a knock?

Laforge said:
So.. you are recommending as a fix for a piece of hardware being turned off as formatting and installing a completely different operating system? Rather than just toggle on/off the software option that allows the piece of equipment to be turned off?

Isn't that like re-painting your car because the engine has a knock?

Jeebus man, you definitely are a piece of shit. Nowhere did I say that was a "fix." Just another means of troubleshooting. If you know everything, why do you even ask questions here?

joecool234 said:
Jeebus man, you definitely are a piece of shit. Nowhere did I say that was a "fix." Just another means of troubleshooting. If you know everything, why do you even ask questions here?

Why do you give such stupid suggestions?

It's asinine to tell someone "put a completely different operating system on it"

Something more along the lines of .. considering my OS is completely installed, and up and running, would be such things as..

"Have you tried installing a pci network card"?

"Have you tried running some sort of utility to log the network card status"

"Have you checked the bios to see if the network card is on the shutdown list in APM/ACPI settings"

But .. As I made the analogy, your suggestion is "repaint the car because the engine has a knock"

Lastly.. We could still TRY to be civil here, can we not?
I believe your "man you are a piece of shit" would definately fall under the auspices of abuse.

I am NOT trying to get technical support here. I didn't ask "Hey, does anyone know why my network card goes to sleep"

I said.. , as a comment, that "well I've got a problem with the network card going to sleep, but that's a topic for another thread.. to which someone replied "well, in windows, go to power management" -- to which I pointed out .. "hey, i'm not running windows" to which you made a STUPID reply.
I don't tend to ask for a lot of tech support here. - Because 60% of the users here are at your level, or below.

People such as ICE CZAR, for example, however, are the people I want info from. The man has forgotten more about storage and intellectual property then I'll ever know.

In other words, I didn't ASK for your help [limpy], nor did I ASK for the help of the person who told me to do something in an operating system I do not even have installed.

joecool234 said:
Half-sized cdrom...man, I don't even know what that means. Just internal Dell lingo. Its a normal CDROM, and the case has 2 5.25" Bays (it says it right on the website). A little detective work goes a long way.

Half Sized CD-Rom is term for what is also known as a "slim" cd-rom

Now, half-height?
Well, a single 5.25" bay is actually considered a half-height bay. - I.e. the size of a regular cd-rom drive is considered half-height

The reason for this is because when the naming conventions for these form factors arose, "full height" 5.25" scsi drives were all the rage. - They took up, you guessed it, what would be considered TWO 5.25" bays

Half-Height was denoted for single-drives

I personally dont understand why it was this way, when it should have been called single and doublebay, but oh well.

Keep trucking limpy

joecool234 said:
Its hard to stay positive with 13 pages of questions by people too lazy to find answers themselves. Does mommy wipe your ass too?

Seriously though, why would a midtower come with a slimline cdrom (if slimline is what you mean by half-height)?

I was always taught there's no such thing as stupid questions...only stupid people.

-- See post above, and below this original - It's not dell internal lingo, it's industry standard lingo, pioneered by seagate and ibm.

dell had nothing to do with it.

does your mommy wipe your ass too Lets see, who here has attitude? Who here is to quote you "a piece of shit"

I was always taught... By introspection, I would gather..

Keep on trucking, limpy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back