It's back! Intel 320 Series 160GB SSD for $155 AR FS

Looks like a good deal but why are the listed transfer speeds so much slower than say a Corsair Force GT? Wouldn't the Corsair be much better? Is there something about SSD's that I don't know that makes Intel SSD's not overpriced? I have only had a few SSD's so perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Looks like a good deal but why are the listed transfer speeds so much slower than say a Corsair Force GT? Wouldn't the Corsair be much better? Is there something about SSD's that I don't know that makes Intel SSD's not overpriced? I have only had a few SSD's so perhaps someone can enlighten me.

It's a SATA 2 drive vs a SATA 3 drive. Intel drives are known more for reliability and they offer a 5 year warranty which nobody else does AFAIK.

If you want bullet proof reliability I'd personally stick with Intel, I've been running a 160G gen 2 Intel SSD in my main machine for 2 years now without any problems whatsoever, and another in my laptop for about a year. That said I also have 2 smaller drives, one a Crucial M4 and another offbrand, and neither of those have given me any problems either, but I haven't ventured into Sandforce territory yet.

Oh and I also bit on this deal, which will make my 3rd Intel 160G SSD :)

Already got 2 of these drives, 1 in laptop 1 in server. Must resist temptation to get 2 more and RAID 4 of these...

Damn it.. I wish I saw this yesterday before I bought the Corsair Force GT :(

Most of the negative reviews are probably going to be about the firmware. There was a problem a while back where a sudden loss of power would result in complete data loss. This was apparently addressed with a firmware update (super easy on Intel drives btw).

I bought one from the BF sale, and it already had the newest firmware on it. Should be fine...

bought one in the last sale. works great. sata 2 vs sata 3 is no biggy.

I'm using one of the 320 series myself. Realisticly speaking, a pair of these in raid (even with their lower speeds then SF) is still going to be faster then bat shit.

hmm, this is a good deal for anyone looking to get a new SSD for themselves, but if you already have one and it's ~120gb or more, it probably isnt worth it.

ive got an intel 120gb x-25 drive at the moment and was considering upgrading, but this isnt SATA 3 :\

if it would've been sata 3 i would've bought this without thinking, haha

I have one of these and it's been rock solid. The Intel toolbox will update the FW for you in Windows making it easy to do. You can also download the software from Intel for free that allows you to image your current system to the new drive, so no rebuilding Windows. The only downside on this is the $100 rebate, but it's Intel, so you should get it pretty quickly.

FWIW, I bought an 80GB 320 (solid, quick for my laptop) and have seen a LOT of action/feedback on my rebate from intel. They've sent me emails during every step of the process. I'm in the final wait for the 4 weeks, but I'm confident intel will deliver in the rebate, unlike many others lately.

For those who are willing to settle for SATA II this is a great deal.

I decided to stump up another $50 for an M4 128. I figure it's going to last me 3 years or so as boot drive so a good investment.

Just junk in the box, its the same drive and both have the 3.5" mounting kit which is the item worth anything IMO.

I have another question, if I have a z68 motherboard that can take advantage of the sata3, should I go with the 120gb corsair force gt or still with intel 320 160gb at half the speed?

Seems to be same price on Newegg.

I have another question, if I have a z68 motherboard that can take advantage of the sata3, should I go with the 120gb corsair force gt or still with intel 320 160gb at half the speed?

Seems to be same price on Newegg.

I have a Samsung 830 256 which is at least on par with a Force GT 120 and an Intel 320 160GB, and I can't tell the difference outside of benchmarks. But whatever floats your boat.

I paid almost full price for this drive at launch and don't regret it. The 320 really is a very reliable drive.

Back