It's cold outside

Kendrak

[H]ard|DCer of the Year 2009
Time to turn up the OC on the cards. It's 13 outside right now...... and the sun is out.

I'm staying inside.

Who else is heating some/most of their house with boxen?

I've got 12 GPUs keeping parts of the house warm. The vent is shut off to my study. I have 4 GPUs keeping it warm-ish :D

In South Dakota its a warm 25F and after tomorrow we will only have low single digits for daytime highs and minus teens for night time lows.
I have blocked and taped off all the dowstairs vents so all the heat from the furnace goes to heating the upstairs.
The whole full basement is heated to a balmy 26C (79F) just by my three computers.
I have a upright floor fan blowing air from my basement up the stairs since it's warmer down here then it is upstairs.
I think I will save money this year to pay for the electricity on the computers and save money on the natrual gas.

While we've only had one "cold" day all year (it didn't get out of the 20s), my room is the only one in the house to have not turned on its heat.

lol i just close my door for a couple minutes my 3 boxens plus 2 laptops bring my room temp up to about 95F.. :p but its suppose to snow here at sea level in california on Tuesday.. :p woot woot! god i hope global warming keeps happening.. screw having to go to tahoe!

I haven't turned the furnace on yet. My six rigs keep it warm enough in my apartment even when it drops below freezing so far. Sure, it drops down to around 65F at night when the lows get into the teens but it usually warms back up around 70 during the day. The most I've done is turn on the space heater to warm up my feet a bit before I go to bed. So far this is probably saving me at least $20 per month in electricity. The boxen are much more efficient heaters than the furnace.

I think its been down to around -2-5C here overnight and its been frosty all week.
I've shut the loft cover but the cat flap is still propped open.
I've yet to turn the heating on.
But the computers use around 2.5 kW.h

Luck ........... :D

27F right now. Blizzard with fresh snow and 30 MPH winds blowing snow everywhere. I have had the heat on for a month or so. But my computer room is nice and warm.

I've definitely been putting the folding heat to good use. Moved two extra rigs to the main floor from the basement. They don't exactly keep it warm enough (need to stay around 73-75f for the kids/wife) but my gas bill in November was about 1/2 what it was this time last year. Although my electric bill was way up (this time last year I think I only had 2-3 CPU folding....now up to 5 CPU and 6 GPU).

Time to turn up the OC on the cards. It's 13 outside right now...... and the sun is out.

I'm staying inside.

Who else is heating some/most of their house with boxen?

My house is a single story with basement, the top level is 72F and the basement is between 75 and 76F. I have not had to turn on the heat very much so far.

I think its been down to around -2-5C here overnight and its been frosty all week.

That seems very efficient, 100K PPD production at 2.5kWh.
I am getting about 60K PPD from 2.0kWh., 9 boxen doesn't help I am sure.
I gotta work on condensing, the wife is cool with folding but the electric bill
and 9 boxen huming away in the basement 24 x 7 has prompting her to say
"Do we really need that many computers running" Of course I will start using
the " We can heat the house with the boxen" now :D

That seems very efficient, 100K PPD production at 2.5kWh.
I am getting about 60K PPD from 2.0kWh., 9 boxen doesn't help I am sure.
I gotta work on condensing, the wife is cool with folding but the electric bill
and 9 boxen huming away in the basement 24 x 7 has prompting her to say
"Do we really need that many computers running" Of course I will start using
the " We can heat the house with the boxen" now :D

In the last 81 days I've used 5,210 kW.h, so its closer to 2.7 kW.h in total.

My farm has been tweaked to take advantage of the nVidia GPU client.
Only 5 computers running but they support 17 nVidia clients on 13 Vid cards, also 10 Linux SMP inside VM's on the 6 CPU's.
But I've also dropped ~10k PpD from the new nVidia protiens.
So I did hit 40 PpDpWatt but it closer to 38 PpDpWatt now.

I could make the farm leaner by dropping the SMP client compleatly.

Luck ............. :D
But that puts all you eggs in one basket it terms of servers and client direction.

Luck ............. :D

My sister, brother in law and nieces are going to be running away from that (and you) in a couple of days. And they will cross the pond and arrive in the states just in time to experience the exact same weather. :eek:

All but one of my boxes are on second floor. I just can't figure out how to get heat to go down, lol.

Its 24F here in NJ. Q6600s and GPUs are doing the heating in my basement. If they ever go off them temp drops down around 55. That's too cold for me.

Unusually cold here in Victoria, BC. Normally we escape the cold here on
Vancouver Island, but not this week. Snowing and the high today is said to
be -1 C with a low of -6. More cold on the way.

Time to crank up some folding space heaters...:D

It's always cold around here and the folding boxes is starting to not be enough to keep my condo heated. I cannot wait for my 2 GPU to come here for more heat ;)

its a brisk 40F right now at 9 am.. was in the high 20's last night.. and they say its suppose to snow here tuesday.. but then again they also said it was a 70% chance of rain the last 2 days but its been sunny and friggin cold.. i swear it better snow.. i want to see some friggin snow.. i live 10 ft above sea level in california..

At 8am it was 4F. Freakin' cold! I did not want to get out of bed.

yeah I feel your pain. It was about 10F here this AM. Well below zero wind chills with the 30MPH wind gusts. :(

It was -44C this morning here with the wind chill, -34C without. Supposed to be sitting in that range for a while, unfortunately -- at least according to the forecast.

That's ummm... -47.2F and -29F respectively.

Oh well, my boxes will keep me warm; guess I'll have to put a few extra into production again :)

Back