It's launch time!

Don't know why they called it the world's thinnest smartphone. I guess the Droid Razr doesn't count?

Besides the taller only screen, is the screen technology updated or better colors over the 4/4S ? I would prefer a taller + WIDER screen like the Nexus-S. Oh well bring on the Nexus 5.0 now.

The live blog is wording as if they are claiming the thinnest in the entire world

possibly, anands live coverage worded it differently.

this is shaping up to be a decent phone, apart from the 4" screen it is a nice upgrade over the 4s, and finally moved off of the old arm cores.

10:16AM PDT - "it's the world's thinnest smartphone"

10:16AM PDT - 7.6mm thin, 18% thinner than the 4S

10:16AM PDT - "thinnest phone we have ever made, lightest as well"

10:16AM PDT - "the hardware and software engineering that has gone into this product is the most challenging our team has ever taken on"

10:15AM PDT - Made entirely of glass and aluminum

you're right, i just missed it :)

possibly, anands live coverage worded it differently.

this is shaping up to be a decent phone, apart from the 4" screen it is a nice upgrade over the 4s, and finally moved off of the old arm cores.

you're right, i just missed it :)
Wow. Wonder if anyone is going call them out on that.

The two biggest issues I see with this phone are:

Battery - yea, 8 hours of straight talk or web browsing. In real world use, I think this thing will need a lunch time charge every day if you are a moderate to heavy user on LTE. The competition has better options

New connector - Lot of people crying about obsolete accessories right now. Sure they will have "adapters" but I doubt that it will make anyone feel better. No word on the connector being backwards compatible with microUSB. Big misstep on Apple's part imo

More of the same with updated features that we're all suppose to believe are revolutionary.:rolleyes:

Doesn't matter though. All the Apple people will line up to buy it while getting the golden shaft with having to buy $20 adapters to fit all their old docks and cables.

Well, I'm sticking with my 4S, I don't know if my wife wants to upgrade her 4 to the 5 or go for the SGS3.

The 5th row of icons is going to get patented! How did we ever survive without this innovation ?!

Letterboxed apps, can we get some actual engineers that know about resizable resolutions to Apple?

Letterboxed apps, can we get some actual engineers that know about resizable resolutions to Apple?

the problem is, apple chose 4:3 and stuck with it, all the apps were written for 4:3 with no choice on changing aspect, not even sure developers have the option.

I missed the live blogging but a quick look at Engadgets article said the 4:3 ratio was temporary on apps. A few of the Apple ones, (movies, garage band, ?) are ready for the new aspect and they will have something out soon for adjusting other apps.

I have a 4s but will stick with it for another year. I like LTE speed but already have it for my iPad which is where I really need it.

I missed the live blogging but a quick look at Engadgets article said the 4:3 ratio was temporary on apps. A few of the Apple ones, (movies, garage band, ?) are ready for the new aspect and they will have something out soon for adjusting other apps.

I have a 4s but will stick with it for another year. I like LTE speed but already have it for my iPad which is where I really need it.
Temporary until the developers fix it :rolleyes:

Holy shit. I'm literally crying right now, this is so amazing. First day buy for me, absolutely. Extra row for all my apps, Siri is definitely going to work perfectly this time, the new glass construction is certain to not break this time around, and I'll buy 20 charging adapters at $100 apiece, just to do my part.

Fuck this, I REALLY need to go masturbate now.

Holy shit. I'm literally crying right now, this is so amazing. First day buy for me, absolutely. Extra row for all my apps, Siri is definitely going to work perfectly this time, the new glass construction is certain to not break this time around, and I'll buy 20 charging adapters at $100 apiece, just to do my part.

Fuck this, I REALLY need to go masturbate now.

Fap, Fap, LOL

New iPhone:
Minor incremental upgrade that is still behind the Android curve. The second launch in a row to do this, and the third iPhone to use the iPhone 4 design.

Apple:
To prevent consumer disappointment make a bunch of lies and half truths and close out with Foo Fighters! Yeah, we're totally awesome!

New iPhone:
Minor incremental upgrade that is still behind the Android curve. The second launch in a row to do this, and the third iPhone to use the iPhone 4 design.

Apple:
To prevent consumer disappointment make a bunch of lies and half truths and close out with Foo Fighters! Yeah, we're totally awesome!
Don't forget beautiful...they're beautiful too

Someone did an interview on Fox Business and CNBC to give the media a reality check. Pretty much said everything you said. The anchors called it "harsh" but in reality, Android is riding the innovation wave right now. The iPhone5 doesn't even have NFC or Bluetooth 4.0 like the new Razr HD will. However, the fanboi's don't care...and the fanboi's control the public's opinion.

Expect them to sell millions of phones as per usual but over time, phones like the Razr and GS3 will slowly chip away from their current ~25% market share

Don't forget beautiful...they're beautiful too

Someone did an interview on Fox Business and CNBC to give the media a reality check. Pretty much said everything you said. The anchors called it "harsh" but in reality, Android is riding the innovation wave right now. The iPhone5 doesn't even have NFC or Bluetooth 4.0 like the new Razr HD will. However, the fanboi's don't care...and the fanboi's control the public's opinion.

Expect them to sell millions of phones as per usual but over time, phones like the Razr and GS3 will slowly chip away from their current ~25% market share

I'm impressed someone allowed a non-apple-fanboy air time on the major networks!

I agree with your post.

The power of the RDF is amazing - watch as the iPhone 5 will sell millions and set new records. It doesn't matter how crap Apple products are, they always sell!

APPLE DID IT AGAIN!

This is so REVOLUTIONARY.

I feel like THINGS WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN!

Engadget live feed said no 4.0...?

They have to be wrong. The 4S even has BT 4.0. Not that it matters much, it's still a relatively small update. I think the larger 4" display is the best feature. It should be a good middle ground for everyone wanting a larger display, but keep the phone easy to use with one hand.

Definitely not enough to make me switch from Android. I can't wait to see what the next Nexus has in store now. Even if it's the same as the Gnex with newer internals, I would be happy. The Gnex is the most attractive phone on the market, IMO with its sleek/clean buttonless face. I hope they don't deviate far from it and just put an S4-Pro or (new) Exynos dual core in it. They better not fuck up the camera this time though. There's no reason why it shouldn't be the same camera from the S3 if Samsung is building it again.

how many loyal apple fans are disappointed with the iphone 5?

Loyal Apple fans are never disappointed with anything from Apple, because they enjoy the Kool Aid.

This phone is Meh.

Not bad. Decent phone for sure, but it doesn't make me have any regrets I just switched from an iPhone 4 to my Galaxy S3.

Engadget live feed said no 4.0...?

Iphone 5s launch event, January 1 2013:

"The iphone 5s will incorporate technologies that absolutely were not possible in any previous generation of phone. Bluetooth 4.0, and a 4.5" screen are two of the brand-new features that apple is introducing to the cell phone market. No other phone has ever incorporated Bluetooth 4.0, and no other phone has ever had a screen larger than the 4" screen on the iphone 5, which we launched 4 long, long months ago. The wait for the new iphone 5s is over, folks. Line up now to get yours in 2 weeks."

10:16 am: Tim Cook just announced the iphone 5s, and our heads have officially asploded. *Standing ovation and fanboys fellating each other in the crowd*

10:17 am: We're still in awe of the iphone 5s, which was revealed this time not by rising from the floor, but by being lowered from the ceiling on a rope made of polar bear tails.

10:18 am: I just used my iphone 5 to sell a bunch of useless shit on Craigslist, so I can buy the iphone 5s in two weeks.

10:19 am: Holy shit, the guy in front of me just rushed the stage and actually TOUCHED the iphone 5s. Two apple security guards were killed by this warrior of the faith, in his mad dash towards mecca.

10:20 am: It's now a madhouse, as the iphone 5s is being retracted towards the ceiling. In case you missed it the first time, the iphone 5s is in fact suspended on a rope made entirely of polar bear tails. The rush for the stage has now changed into a rush to touch the guy who just moments ago, touched the iphone 5s. No more updates, I'm off to touch that guy, too.

Back