It's not working...

Nemesis999

2[H]4U
So, I built my brother a computer a while back, and it worked fine.

One day it shut off.... :(

After that when he tried to boot it, everything would turn on, fans, lights on the mobo, etc. But nothing would happen. No beeps, no video output.

I started off by pulling the non-essentials from the system, HD, FD, case fans, USB connectors, etc, no effect.

Should it not be giving me SOME kind of error? some set of beeps telling me what's wrong?

I also swapped the memory and swapped the video to no avail. That leaves me with power supply, mobo, and CPU.

Any suggestions on what to do next? I'd like to avoid swapping parts with my system, if theres something wrong with one of them it'd really suck to cook my system finding out.

Can you get in the bios?.. did you try resetting the cmos? Those are your only 2 options left if you dont want to swap any more parts...

was/is the cpu fan turning? Clogged with dirt?

you swapped out the video, so what's in there now? onboard?? what MOBO? what cpu.. the more info you give the better

Can't get to the bios, simply getting a black screen. I have tried resetting the cmos.

ABIT IS7 Mobo
P4 2.8Ghz (800 MHZ FSB)
Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 64MB (Replacing a ATI 9100 128MB)
2 x 256MB PC3200 Corsair 2-2-2-6 sticks (Replacing 2 KHX3500 sticks)

Ok... new question... If I were to pull the processor, should it be giving me error beeps?

should it??? better question is... Did you pull the processor and IS IT beeping, I'd think this to be favorable for the mobo but not for the processor

Well, pulled the proc. No beeps.

I now simply have a mobo hooked to the power supply and to the button from the case.

The mobo is sitting on some newspaper on a wooden table, as is the supply.

I press the power button and the NB fan starts spinning and the LED on the mobo lights up. No beeps.

edit: Haha, and of course the speaker is connected. :D

I dont see anyhting your doing as wrong.. your down to 3 things.. the powersupply isnt giving enough power... the proc is bad, and unless you've been OC'ing it I really cant remember the last time one has died. on its own ( clogged cooling fans not withstanding) or the mobo just crapped the bed ( odd again) Although its possible that if the case got kicked or moved after being on.. Then of course yuo could always buy one of these and try.

Back