It's Official.. PC Power and Cooling kicks much ***...

Barnaby

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok, so I got my PC Power and Cooling Turbo Cool 510 Deluxe installed, and man it's worth every damn penny... I can't make the voltages move no matter what... I turned on everything I could, and it just wouldn't budge.. my rig is as follows:

Lian-Li PC-65 (w/ 2 80m fan in the window, and 1 top blowhole)
PCP&C TurboCool 510 Deluxe
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
1 Gb Corsair CMX-3200C2
AthlonXP 2800+ (Barton)
MSI Ti4200 128mb
SB Audigy2 ZS
LiteON 16X DVD-ROM
LiteON 52x32x52 CDRW
Hitatchi 7K250 80Gb SATA HDD
Floppy
Retail HSF for now
3 Quad Blue LED 80mm fans (2 front intake, top blowhole)
2 Clear 80mm Fans (in the side window)
1 Panaflo U1A 80mm (rear exhaust)
6 Port Baybus controlling all case fans
Dual 12 inch Blue Cold Cathodes

So, I went ahead, and ran prime95, superpi, winamp, copied a whole cd from each cd drive at the same time, ftp'd some files, had all the case fans on high, and the cold cathode's on...

Voltages remained rock solid the whole time... gotta love it... :D Except no substitutions!! Get a real PSU!!!!

Geez. Ow. Overkill. :eek:

Get some watercooling gear in there, you're putting that poor PSU to waste. :(

My only complaint is their price. They no doubt make the best PSUs, but considering I can get a nice Antec PSU for 1/3 to 1/4 of the price, it's hard for me to justify the expense. If they were maybe $100 or a little more, I'd be off to the store buying one now.

I'm all about having more than I need.. ;) besides, it's not like I won't be adding another drive for a raid array, a 9800 Pro, a better HSF, northbridge cooler, LCD display... then maybe I'll start messing around with WC...

hmm.. this kinda reminds me when everyone told me my 486 dx2 66 was overkill... hehe...

Originally posted by djnes
My only complaint is their price. They no doubt make the best PSUs, but considering I can get a nice Antec PSU for 1/3 to 1/4 of the price, it's hard for me to justify the expense. If they were maybe $100 or a little more, I'd be off to the store buying one now.

that's what I though too, but reading review after review that compared the antec's to the PCP&C, I just couldn't in good conscious settle for anything else.. besides, what's another 100 bucks? you save up a little more, and then you dont' have to worry about your PSU again until you have to get another one when they replace ATX... I couldn't have done that with the Antec's or any other PSU...

I'm not arguing with you, but I don't give an ounce of worry to my TruePower 430 either. If I had my choice, I'd pick a PC&C, but maybe if their prices come down I would.

You could run all that stuff with a nice 350w PS.
You get slops, you shoulda spent your money on a better video card, lol.

One of the reasons they are so expensive is because people are willing to spend that much. It is really not a big point to say that your voltages didn't vary much. It's like saying, I took a cup's worth of water out of the Lake Superior, and the water level didn't change!

Originally posted by Vertigo Acid
It is really not a big point to say that your voltages didn't vary much. It's like saying, I took a cup's worth of water out of the Lake Superior, and the water level didn't change!

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1774&p=8
"the majority of damaged RAM returned to memory manufacturers is destoryed by fluctuations in the voltage."

Winbond Launches New Bus Termination Regulator April 4th 2003
"Winbond Electronics Corporation, a leading supplier of semiconductor solutions, today launched the W83310S, a new DDR SDRAM bus termination regulator. The solution, new to Winbond's ACPI product family, is aimed at desktop PC and embedded system applications with DDR SDRAM requirements.
Computer systems architectures continue to evolve and are becoming more complex; CPU and memory speeds continue to increase ever more rapidly with every technology turn. More and more high current/low voltage power sources are required for PC systems. This is particularly true for high-speed components such as CPU, memory, and system chipsets. The performance of these components is highly dependent upon stable power. Therefore, motherboard designers require accurate, stable, low-ripple and robust power solutions for these components."

Transient Response: As shown in the diagram here, a switching power supply uses a closed feedback loop to allow measurements of the output of the supply to control the way the supply is operating. This is analogous to how a thermometer and thermostat work together to control the temperature of a house. As mentioned in the description of load regulation above, the output voltage of a signal varies as the load on it varies. In particular, when the load is drastically changed--either increased or decreased a great deal, suddenly--the voltage level may shift drastically. Such a sudden change is called a transient. If one of the voltages is under heavy load from several demanding components and suddenly all but one stops drawing current, the voltage to the remaining current may temporarily surge. This is called a voltage overshoot.

Transient response measures how quickly and effectively the power supply can adjust to these sudden changes. Here's an actual transient response specification that we can work together to decode: "+5V,+12V outputs return to within 5% in less than 1ms for 20% load change." What this means is the following: "for either the +5 V or +12 V outputs, if the output is at a certain level (call it V1) and the current load on that signal either increases or decreases by up to 20%, the voltage on that output will return to a value within 5% of V1 within 1 millisecond". Obviously, faster responses closer to the original voltage are best."

[H]ardCore PSU Info links to the voltage regulation charts of many PSUs (including Antec True Power & PCP&C)

Discussed to death here (along w\ total capacity)

Nice info there Ice Czar..

Couldn't have made the point better.. there's FAR more to a power supply than just raw wattage, it's about the quality of the power comming out of the PSU..

Take the Antec TruPower 480 (or the trublue). A pretty popular PSU due to it's noise level, "wattage", and price... while it's voltage may be in spec, with not too much variance, it also has more noise on the lines than the competition:

here, check it: http://www.amdmb.com/article-display.php?ArticleID=270&PageID=15

Acutally, reading that whole article is a good idea, as it's very informative, and shows alot more to the quality of popular PSU's out there, other than if the voltages vary or not..

:rolleyes: I didn't say that voltage flucuation wasn't important, I said that it isn't noteworthy considering the situation. No shit it didn't fluctuate!

Thanx I hadnt seen that

If there is one thing you can count on in computers, things change
a good example is PATA where truthfully the standard is having difficulty handling modern devices and speeds
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=699246

another example is the stability requirements for the CPU\FSB\RAM, I still employ an Antec PP403X on my KR7A
(VIA KT266A) for that chipset the voltage regulation, ripple, transient response is acceptable, and while the rails are up to powering a modern mobo, I still wouldnt use it, as its just not a smart move with the higher speeds (and that might be responsible for the death of a mobo 6 months ago)

Originally posted by Vertigo Acid
I said that it isn't noteworthy considering the situation.

what situation?

Originally posted by Ice Czar

what situation?

He's saying that the 510 Deluxe is overkill for my current rig with everything on...

Personally, I don't think so, as if that were the case, my 400 watt supply shouldn't have been dipping as bad on the 12 volt.. and it was a decent supply (sparkle 400)

Back